Fuel Tank Removal | FerrariChat

Fuel Tank Removal

Discussion in '206/246' started by Eltel246, Feb 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eltel246

Eltel246 Karting

May 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Charles Hill
    Looking to remove the fuel tanks on my M series to give them a good clean out.

Any advice on removal would be most welcome. Do I need to remove any suspension components to get them out.

Car is non A/C.

2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Can you pull all the hoses and flush them in place or is it a varnish/sediment buildup situation that requires some scrubbing and shaking?
    I've only done tanks with the engine out, looks tough otherwise. sorry not much help...

Eltel246 likes this.
  3. daviekj

daviekj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2008
    UK
    If I recall correctly the fuel tanks can be removed with engine in place. I don’t recall having to remove any suspension. Tanks come out through respective wheel arches.
    Kevin

Eltel246 and GermanDino like this.
  4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    from memory the tanks will not come out with the suspension units in place especially the top arms, you risk puncturing the tank, as a minimum the discs need to be removed as well.
    tony

Eltel246 likes this.
  5. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    that`s correct, needs a bit of skills, I have done it .... but not easy

Eltel246 likes this.
  6. Eltel246

Eltel246 Karting

May 14, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Charles Hill
    Thanks for the advice guys. Always helpfull as usual.

Will get stuck in and if any of the suspension needs to be removed so be it.

synchro likes this.
  7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    On both my Euro and USA E series the driver's side tank was able to be lifted up, rotated 90 degrees twice and then removed but I had to touch up the exterior from minor paint rubs. The passenger's side will depend on the piping and sender configuration (I have seen some Dinos with fuel tank senders on either tank).

Eltel246 likes this.