812 VS Rumors | Page 178 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #4426 Frank_C, Feb 21, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    ”The lady doth protest too much, methinks....”

Ok. We get it. People that don’t own a GPF car can hear the difference. People that own a GPF car don’t care...

Machs nicht, GPF is here to stay.

Regardless, it is the induction note at the upper revs which trumps the exhaust when driving the car, whether or not the exhaust is obtunded (real or imagined) by the GPF.

ps My son, a musician, has perfect pitch. If someone in Houston has a GPF car, he can tell all y’all the difference between the two and the precise musical note of each.....but like me he doesn’t really care.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

stavura, [gTr], hagen111 and 4 others like this.
  2. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    some people think 812gts sound is a disaster because it has gpf. and i dont hear so much complain about how monza sp1/sp2 sounds. general belief is it doesn't have
    gpf but the way gts & monza sound so similar, i think monza also has that filter.

3. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    The Euro 7 standard in 2025 will mark the final end.
    With 63 db max, you can't do anything except artificial sound.

4. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Let’s hope Ferrari decides to not meet that mark for non EU cars by then

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

LARRYH likes this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It won't happen. And while that is the 2025 law for the EU, don't kid yourself thinking that the US won't follow suit at some point. This is just the way things are going - everywhere.

6. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    Received the email and message on MyFerrari last week, put down my deposit at my dealer yesterday and was told the VS will be unveiled in April.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

GK18, Thecadster, LARRYH and 11 others like this.
  7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

Maybe @xBox could be convinced to do a 'stand in' gig...

xBox likes this.
  8. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Get outside along the straight line of a circuit, and listen to a Pista or F 8 pass in front of you.
    You will not hear anything except a slight hissing sound.
    It's already over!

gliazzurri, KenU and of2worlds like this.
  9. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    I've done my fair share of work on the Modena bar scene...... to be sure, to be sure :D

of2worlds likes this.
  10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes, lots of talk about the engine noise.

You warned us about the 'space ship' before.

day355 Which do you prefer for the new VS the look of the front or the look from the back?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    In flash the “ volume “ of Sp is much higher than GTS

12. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    #4437 day355, Feb 21, 2021
    The rear is much less instinctive for me, unlike that of the TDF which remains a modern interpretation of the 250 GTO.
    I think Manzoni has too much Lamborghini take on Ferrari style.
    Its best design will remain in my eyes the one off P 80 / C.
    He was quite free, without the marketing kids telling him what would make the Chinese, Indians, Japanese happy ... in terms of style, or when you mix it all up, you end up getting a pizza.
    Rest assured the 812 VS is impressive!

polishhammer83, cesman, Shack and 5 others like this.
  13. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    April? Bummed if true.

14. ppg70

ppg70 Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2017
    yes it seems so.....official unveil to press/world.....but at that time all cars will be sold out and deposits done

15. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    I thought the LB was suppose to be more ‘classic’ Ferrari in terms of design and less ‘spaceship’/Lamborghini? Is that still the case?

Also thank you for sharing all your knowledge with us! Definitely makes for a better read when there is someone in the know in the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

polishhammer83 likes this.
  16. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Thank you day355 for sharing your thoughts on the new VS here!

17. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    F 171 is in my eyes better than that of the SF 90. It is more consistent.
    The problem is that there is no vision, as could have Fioraventi, a true genius!
    Today we ask marketers what pleases each country and we mix it all.
    It is a huge mistake because we have lost the Ferrari style. This unique line that goes from the back to the front; and with a lot of subtle and simple curves.
    "Simplicity" is what they forgot! and yet in art, what is simple is beautiful ... and Ferraris are made to age.
    Today, they are betting everything on caricatural aggressiveness, without subtlety, and it will age very badly.
    In Fioraventi's time, Enzo used to tell him to make a nice "Italian" car, and that if the princes or the actors didn't like it, well too bad, they wouldn't buy it.
    Today, it is marketing which arrives with its stylistic codes specific to each country.
    The stylistic identity gradually disappeared.
    If you add that Manzoni does not have a clear vision of what a Ferrari should be, you will get designs that will disappear over time, with rare exceptions (Pista and TDF).

18. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    I sincerely hope that Ferrari is paying attention to these forums and take inspiration from them. On the other hand, I think we should stay optimistic and hope Ferrari develops it’s own design identity that reflects its past but also looks towards the future. The job they did with the Monza SP1/SP2 (imho) is amazing, a true Ferrari masterpiece therefore we know they can do it, and I hope they continue to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Yes, but the Monza was originally a one off.

20. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #4445 Lukeylikey, Feb 21, 2021
    I think that view is harsh. It’s a conversation without possibility of a certain conclusion but when you look at Manzoni’s work there’s lots to say and appreciate:

My summary for the cars released since he has been involved (might have missed some but....)

Speciale - perfect ‘added aggression’ update for classic 458

TDF - classically beautiful, almost no detractors

812/GTS - beautiful to many (but some much prefer predecessor), especially GTS which seems very well received

Lusso - logical and polished improvement to the characterful but offbeat FF

488 - coherent and historical, not a ‘loved’ style, but Ferrari has had those before - 308 GT4 was disliked at launch but now well appreciated

F8/Spider - appreciated more than 488 but arguably less coherent, now 3rd iteration from same platform. Last time they did this? 512M

Pista - lauded everywhere, a future classic in styling terms

Monza - classically beautiful, no detractors

SF90/Spider - modern but controversial, spider attracts very positive comments. Perhaps the most polarising Manzoni design. Had to use styling to indicate a new era from Ferrari. Too early to say how this car will wear its age.

The above does not seem like a negative resume to me, in fact the opposite. Many of these cars have true Ferrari style, some signal a different mood.

However, that is nothing new. I’m thinking 250/275 to Daytona, Daytona to 365, 365 to Testatosssa, Dino to 308, 328 to 348, 355 to 360. In fact there seems to be more examples of wildly differing styling themes from generation to generation than there have been similar. That’s not actually correct but you don’t have to look far to find wildly differing designs following on in Ferrari’s back catalogue.

In the context of all that I think Manzoni’s work so far seems generally really good and very typical of Ferrari’s history in the brand tradition. I think we should remember that styling becomes classical over time, but for a young and performance-led brand like Ferrari was, it has to be modern and performance driven (example: 250 GTO - looks beautiful and classically proportioned now but was born out of performance with beauty very much a second thought). I don’t think today’s styling feels much different to how Ferrari’s styling has always been received. If you wanted to sum 70 years up in two words they would be ‘beauty’ and ‘controversy’.

21. rossodino

rossodino Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2007
    corona del mar, ca.
    Full Name:
    bruce sansone
    Wow Day 355 you never cease to amaze with all the wonderful information you have and the fact you can make sense of it in a way that truly expresses what Ferrari should be in your eyes. We are all so fortunate to have someone like yourself on FChat.

22. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Any decision (design or otherwise) made by committee is a compromise. il Commendatore didn't compromise.

Bundy, Senna1994 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  23. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    One of the best posts I've read in a while and I couldn't agree more, as I also think Manzoni and his team did a pretty good job overall with the models they've worked on.

24. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I also forgot something: this idea of designing cars to the tastes of different markets is nothing new, think original Superfast and Superamerica, among the models that were designed to appeal to the US market. It worked too! US became their largest and most successful market.

polishhammer83 and F140C like this.
  25. JackCongo

JackCongo Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Yes, exactly what happened in 2016 with the tdf.

polishhammer83 likes this.