The BORA | Page 34 | FerrariChat

The BORA

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by wbaeumer, Aug 11, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    1975 Bora chassis #904.. the very one that first ignited my interest and led to my purchase of #932 from Ivan. For sale at Car Collection Wittner in Dietachdorf, Austria..

Long-term prior owner was Peter Perry, Sr. of Loudonville, NY. US spec, original "Giallo" or "Fly Yellow" here in the States. Black interior. Very well caretaken, featured in Hemmings around 2010. Brokered to Europe in 2015 not long before values spiked.
    I am mystified why the Austrian owner(s) decided to remove and refinish the paint. It had some flaws, but they were few, and it was ORIGINAL. The Austrian(s) took the effort to get down to bare metal, glass out. Yet they didn't remove the US marker lights or correct the rear lower valence to achieve full Euro spec.

198,000 Euros and it's yours.

https://carcollection.at/fahrzeugdetails/?id=108&fbclid=IwAR1mEMMm5QsMueZlW4iFSRns5BK2w861ROdeM9Q3A__gkWzKuybBUj9Piwo

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Plenty left to be done and at that price no money to do it.

Original paint is quite fragile by today's standards.
    Getting rid of the rear valence is a big deal but changing the side markers isn't.
    Seat side bolsters need redoing. Mine had collapsed on the driver's side @ 3000 miles! I rebuilt them with layered density foam and that worked great. Not that big a deal.
    I wonder where that spare rim comes from? Might be worth asking ...

wbaeumer likes this.
  3. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    That is the mythical Khamsin spare some owners are willing to sacrifice their first born for!
    As recently found and eventually extracted from under my K in never used condition w/full pressure after God knows how many decades:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

staatsof likes this.
  4. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Looks quite ready to roll ... ;)

I have to wonder how a good condition tire would work?

I have staggered sized tires on my Bora. I also have them on my 2005 Jaguar S-Type R. It doesn't like riding with a skinny space saver spare on the back.

5. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Standard 911 protocol applies.
    In case of rear puncture a front is moved to back; spare is then fitted in front.

In short, such spares can only be used up front!

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    For my Jag I hit a monster pothole filled with water so I couldn't see it on a dark and wet winter night. I blew out both tires and bent both rims on one side and got flat bedded home. I had to buy and second space saver rim & tire just to get the car to the tire shop.
    That really drove funny but I made it. One reason to fit same tire on all four rims on the Bora. But the only flat I've had on that car was due to a porosity leak on an original rim.

7. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    The prior owner says it was sold, and left the US, with the full-size OEM spare in the zippered vinyl cover like any other Bora...

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Maybe he had the same problem I did? That was 30 years ago and I've learned a lot more about rims since then.

I think I might have it x-rayed to see if there's a serious underlying condition or if it's just a casting porosity issue that's not a serious structural concern. I've had bead sealing issues on my 3pc rims that were misdiagnosed twice by a very good shop. Once we used that all issues disappeared.

Internal corrosion is a serious concern with magnesium wheels. I'm not sure if the alloy used in Campagnolos of that era are as worrisome as pure race level wheels.

After doing a complete restoration on my Espada's rims which looked great I learned a lot about just how poorly the Campagnolo rims were manufactured during that time frame. I was able to refinish them including anti-corrosion treatments WO going for perfection in appearance but it was a lot of work. A good thick single stage enamel seals them pretty well. But at that time, I'd have spent a lot less time and money just buying the Eurospares aluminum replica rims and other than the blasting I did all the labor! It look a long time to properly blast each wheel because of the design.

Concours restorers have told me that for Miura wheels they buy the aluminum ones, beat them up somewhat to make them look more authentic and then respray them. The originals are a far rougher looking wheel that the Bora's is.

9. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    interesting Bob. Given what's been done with this Bora maybe that decision is within the realm of the owner's thinking...

...but I'd question whether concern for structural integrity is a sound reason to discard an OEM spare and its storage cover on an otherwise unmolested, original Bora - and to choose to substitute it with an at least equally unreliable spare tire due to 45 year old rubber, on a rim that is meant for a different car and useless without the spacer plate - when the majority of Europe has reliable roadside services, and when it is being offered for sale at the higher end of its price range... ?

I remain mystified. Could have gotten lost or walked away from the shop.
    Cheers,
    - Art

10. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    What ever happened to it wasn't a good move for the car. Then again I never replaced mine and ran all of my long excursions throughout the west including to the Area 51 region with no spare. The car fit right in ... :p

71Satisfaction likes this.
  11. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    71Satisfaction and Merak1974 like this.
  12. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    One of them clearly got the air flow issues done right the other ... but my heart belongs to Alfieri anyway ...

13. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I'm biased but the Bora does more for me than the MC20 visually. The bora seems to flow from from to rear is a much smoother way even if the design is less aerodynamic. The Bora has held up well for a 50 year old design.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    This one's sportin' a bowtie and not a Trident but they are quite similar looking.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  15. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    FIFY;-)....

Ahah Robert NOW I understand you better....I will keep at a safe distance when we meet:eek::D

16. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
    Would be interesting to see them (the Bora - and the Merak - and the MC20) side-a-side. I think it would be a though decision choosing between them in terms of aesthetics.

17. emsiegel13

emsiegel13 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2007
    Grayslake, Illinis
    Full Name:
    Elliot M. Siegel
    I agree. It would be an apt comparison to show the three designs, or maybe, two and a half designs for the only true production mid-engine cars Maserati has made in the last 50 years. I'd be interested to see comments from professional in the auto design business about them. I know time moves on but there are certain cars that have been called the icons of design that are decades old. I'm not sure I would go that far for either but as I said, I think the Bora/Merak has held up well over the years.

Merak1974 and Nembo1777 like this.
  18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Stay classy Marc.

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Just a harmless joke in case area 51 made you radioactive;)

20. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
  21. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    A bit different from what I normally have. I am amazed at all the technology and performance they packed into that Corvette; at a very reasonable price. Something tells me I will eventually navigate towards a MC20. What the Corvette lacks is the Maserati sound. Not sure how the MC20 will differentiate itself when it goes electric.

Ivan

22. ralt72

ralt72 Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    James Nelson
    Took 1044 for a longer shakedown ride after fitting new XWX’s, just to get a bit more acclimated. After reading this thread, I was keeping my eye on the temperature gauge to make sure I didn’t have a run of bad luck. But Ivan is right about the car, it’s really a great driver as well as a looker.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  23. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Glad to hear you’re enjoying the car, as an FYI not that it means anything #1044 is the latest production built bora currently on the road. #1046 and #1048 are not.

24. ralt72

ralt72 Rookie

Dec 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    James Nelson
    Out of curiosity, where are 1046 and 1048 ? Undergoing restoration ? Museum ? Garage ? Accident ?

25. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    #1046 was located in Hershey, PA in 2006
    #1048 was -to my knowledge- at the West Coast of the USA in 2011.

No more infos about both cars!