NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 66 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    In my eyes the SF90, being more powerful and expensive, is a new market segment for Ferrari ie mid engine 1000HP. LB (V6 Hybrid) would seem to be in same segment (mid engined and say 720+ HP) as the F8 and that would make it the F8 replacement. In doing so it helps Ferrari reduce its emissions footprint which is a key goal along with profitability.

I can see how offering both F8 and LB (V6 Hybrid), for a short period of time, enables a final bump in F8 sales for customers who do not want a Hybrid. Timing is critical as emissions targets get tougher to achieve. So depending on release dates this overlap might just be in order taking for the LB (V6 Hybrid) whilst the final F8s are built which is similar to Pista/F8 timings that occurred.

I think the more interesting question is what replaces the 812 after the 812 Lightweight. From an HP perspective the SF90's power units (with rear assistance only and the engine mid front) seems the best match which means the SF90 stays the top of the range power/performance wise. I cannot imagine how badly that will be taken, ie V12s only available as Icona cars.

After that I seem room for an LB (V6 only) in a different body shape but only if Ferrari want to increase model choice and do not think it will cannibalise LB (V6 Hybrid) sales. This will need a worldwide increase in demand for the segment or batteries to start getting far more expensive to make the build price differential significant enough to make the sales, and profit, models viable.

Albert-LP and LVP488 like this.
  2. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Or, depending on the car's reliability, could crush them.

3. sh11783

sh11783 Karting

May 19, 2004
    #1628 sh11783, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    I know there is a lot of speculation on the board about LB replacing the F8 and the V8 living on in a more emissions friendly format eg as a detuned version in the entry level cars or a hybridized platform eg the SF90. It seems entirely plausible especially when you consider the F8 doesn't have a lot of room to evolve without running amuck of homologation strictures without electrics thereby limiting its viability in an increased standalone power format and the SF90 is proof of that. BUT... The V8 mid-engine Ferrari has been the absolute staple of the brand for decades - the best selling and most identifiable Ferrari and certainly the most profitable. I just don't see how they risk their whole franchise on hybrids eg. relegating the V8 to entry level GT cars which offer a completely different driving experience and pitching V6 hybrids as THE mid-engine Ferraris to own. I think there is a good chance the F8 is not the last mid-engine standalone V8 car and Ferrari finds a way to make space for it.

4. 9nb

9nb Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2012
    I wonder if they could have multiple engines for one model as in what was done with the GTC4 Lusso V12 and T (V8), I can imagine there is a market for a SF90 with only the V8 and Rwd to sit between the LB and the SF90.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    'Are you sure the 5-year warranty is for all markets? Everything I am seeing shows McLaren's come with a 3-year unlimited mileage warranty in the US.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Respectfully, I don’t see a way out for Ferrari. My guess is that grams CO2 / km will become a limiting factor, with no penalty for EV. I don’t see a pure V8 capable of meeting these restrictions.

ntatfas likes this.
  7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    IMO not much market for a regular production Mac at that price point
    Also the SF90 is readily available to first time buyers in some markets
    an indication that demand will not be as much as most think

MANDALAY and Napoli like this.
  8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Ferrari has been quoted that the SF90 to be the top model regular production car. With the SF90 and LB they have strategically bumped up the 2 models and in price also. The Roma becomes the entry level Ferrari.

Napoli likes this.
  9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Quoted on the video.

10. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Its not going down well at all down here. The price is way over the top. It will be interesting how the LB will be received here also as its a BIG price increase over the F8

F2003-GA likes this.
  11. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    No V6 version WHITOUT hybrid, unfortunatly, exept the MC 20.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Where have you heard confirmation that LB will be a big price increase above the F8?

of2worlds likes this.
  13. MassAppeal

MassAppeal Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mass Appeal
    The SF90 is a 1000 hp hybrid car, that sits above the V12 front engine hyper GTs, in terms of performance and cost. From all info, the V8 entry level mid engine car, has just morphed into the V6 hybrid entry level car. And they added the higher level SF90 as a different line. The little brother, is really just the continuation of the entry level mid engine car, with a lesser cylinder count.
    Due to the increasing emissions standards, the V8 was too costly to keep for entry level mid engine. The 488 was supposed to be the last of the current Gen, and probably last of the V8. Kinda like how the Testarossa, 512 TR, 512M. As you probably already know, Ferrari does their V8s in twos, then changes up for the next Gen. 308/328, 348/355, 360/430, 458/488, and the F8 was a stop gap model due to several reasons. The next gen of the entry level mid cars is the new V6 model. The Aston Martin V6 model is meant to compete against the new Ferrari V6 hybrid, both of which will have more than 700 hp, from what we know. The SF90 is well above that, and well above what the 720s/765LT replacement will be. If anything, the SF90 is analogous to the Speedtail.

Senna1994, SoCal to az and D11 like this.
  14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    100% spot on, only reason for the F8 is they couldn't get the V6 Hybrid out on time. That is it.

MassAppeal, cesman and D11 like this.
  15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Sadly I’m afraid more to come ;(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

babgh and Thecadster like this.
  16. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Buy the good ones while you can.

17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    the F8 Tributo (tribute) is the last V8 of the series: that's the reason why its name is that, a sort of tribute to not hybrid Ferrari V8, turbo or not. SF90 Stradale (V8TT) is the new Ferrari flagship that will replace the 812 Superfast as flagship (these were the Ferrari official words). The "Little Brother" (that I like to call "Dino 306") is the F8 replacement, with more power than the F8

ciao

stavura, Senshi458, Senna1994 and 5 others like this.
  18. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    do you have any idea what this laferrari based mule is ? next laferrari replacement mule? or new icona mule? what kind of engine it is testing? though it has been a much discussed topic here but no one provided any satisfactory answer. thank you

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I'm sorry, but at present I don't know anything about the Hypercar program. I think that user Ferr9000 could know a lot about it.

ciao

of2worlds likes this.
  20. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Only a bit? But with added weight it'll need more than 750HP. At least 50 more than Pista/F8. Disappointed! :(

21. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Historically in the mid engine V8 line, the successor car has always produced more power than the predecessor track/special variant. F430 more power than the Challenge Stradale, 458 more power than the Scuderia, 488 more power than the Speciale. The F8 was the first car that used the same motor/power figures as the Pista because there was no more R&D going into the ICE V8 TT motor. I think as stated above, the V6 TT hybrid was not ready, Ferrari needed to fill the gap, refresh the design from the 488 as a stop gap car and build it for model years 2020-2022 with no Special Version likely to culminate.

Pure speculation here, but I think we’re more likely to see the the LB V6TT hybrid in the Roma/Portofino models de tuned from the LB moving forward and the V8 TT hybrid likely eventually in a front mid engine GT car along with the SF90. SF90 is an all new segment as stated above, especially in price and power, as there are not a lot of manufactures with offerings in the $500K-$800K space or 1000bhp. All said, there will be far fewer SF90’s produced than what people think of as 812’s or even 812 GTS’s numbers. Ferrari’s plan of more models with fewer units of each will really unfold I think with the SUV in the mix. The SUV will likely raise production by 30-40% if it’s even remotely as successful as the Urus. Either way, I think it will be in far more demand and production numbers than the GTC Lusso it replaces.

In a conversation yesterday with my McLaren dealer principal, they seemed to mention that the 720s/765LT replacement car is more likely to be based on a V6 as McLaren engineers have said with the Artura development that they can get a lot more power out of that motor and it’s lighter than the V8. The Artura’s weight is up from the batteries of course overall, but it is offset somewhat with the motor weighing less than the outgoing V8 in the 570s.

Senna1994, ScrappyB, cesman and 2 others like this.
  22. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I was also told to expect a v6 TT in the 720 replacement. If so, the SF90 may be a unicorn in the car world.

Senna1994 and Thecadster like this.
  23. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I wrote only rumors, of course: I'm not Ferrari press office, this is not official and I don't know what the real power will be (of course). I was told 750, that is 80 HP more than the Mc Laren Artura. If 750 HP are not enough for you, you can take the 1000 HP SF90 Stradale.

ciao

stavura, Senna1994, of2worlds and 3 others like this.
  24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Also the Ferrari V6 can goes up in power, of course: the Ferrari V6 is designed to reach (sooner or later) a specific power of 250 HP/liter (means 750 HP) in further evolutions. Only rumors as always, but usually very reliable.

ciao

PS
    Maserati MC20 3.0 V6TT already has 630 HP...

25. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #1650 Albert-LP, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Agree, this is given as "much probable" here. When? Who knows.

SF90 is expected to be produced in large numbers (no less than the 812).

No idea if there will be another front engine model: I don't think, but no rumors here so it's only my own opinion.

No doubt that the raised side car (FUV) will sell much more than the Lusso (a model that never was easy to sell).

ciao

PS
    Rumors here says that in the future we will have: Portofino, Roma and 488 replacement (Dino 306) with V6, SF90 and FUV 4wd with V8 (and maybe also V6 on the FUV like the V8 and V12 for the Lusso). What is kept as very concealed is if there will be a new V12 (the V12 is the Ferrari oldest engine) for the Hypercar or some Icona model and so on : some rumors say yes, but I don't know.

Senna1994, of2worlds and 456-boy like this.