430 - Recommendations on coming out of 5 months of storage? | FerrariChat

430 Recommendations on coming out of 5 months of storage?

Discussion in '360/430' started by PCarRI, Feb 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    Not all of us are lucky enough to have year round driving abilities. Here in New England I generally store my “fun” cars for the winter due to lots of snow and ice. Hence my F430 Spider has been away since 11/1 in storage at my Indy’s facility. It’s coming out 4/1 (hopefully!) and aside from the air filter, oil, trans, coolant change, does anyone else recommend anything in particular to be done while sitting for so long? My first winter with it and just checking on what the experienced folks do when coming out of hibernation.
    Thanks!

2. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Hmmm...if the services were done properly, did someone advise you to change fluids simply b/c the car has been sitting idle and protected? I would defer to others more knowledgeable on here if that is even necessary. It is too late now, but for future (if you did not this time), I would pump all tires up to 40 psi Cold, to avoid getting "flat spots" while in storage that long. Other than that, I would likely just drive it slowly and methodically until all is warmed up and moving about freely

flash32 likes this.
  3. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    5 or 6 months is not that long. As long as the battery was on a tender and the tires were slightly over inflated you should be able to start it up and go. Just take it easy for the first 10 miles or so to get things warmed up. Some of the maintenance items you are referring to don't need to be changed unless it is time and/or mileage ..like the air filters, gear oil and coolant. Some may even say the motor oil can go beyond a year..but most play it safe and do it every year.

This is all based on being stored in a somewhat climate controlled place and not being started at all for the months you mentioned

Hope that helps

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Looks like we were responding at same time

cole328 likes this.
  5. PCarRI

PCarRI Karting

Feb 23, 2020
    Rhode island, USA
    I’m right at 5k miles since my last oil change so it’s time to do that, and I believe the air filters are at the same time so that’s to be done as well.
    I have quite a few service records but don’t have them of when the coolant and trans fluid was last done so honestly while the car was up I figured let’s get it done so I at least know when it was done last.
    Seems like aside from those items... we’re good?
    And yes, on tender and in climate controlled storage all winter.

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would say yes ..you may feel the flat spots (if any) for a little while until tires get back to normal .. the heat will get them.back

7. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    turn it on and drive

Eric C, Cgk360, flash32 and 2 others like this.
  8. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Exactly. Check tire pressures, let it warm up, drive it and put some fresh fuel in it.

9. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Had the 360 sit for 6 months during a move in 2019.
    Check tire pressure and drive it gently until all the fluids warm up. Get some fresh fuel and drive it.
    Haven't had any problems as a result of the storage.

10. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Start it up and drive the hell out of it. It's just a car.