NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 67 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. red passion

red passion Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    Some rumors brought to FChat even hinted at a new V12 beyond hypercar or Icona models

Albert-LP likes this.
  2. nonbita

nonbita Rookie

Apr 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Non
    TheMayor likes this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Not sure but I think it could be a simple F8.

Albert-LP likes this.
  4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    This would be tragic as nothing remotely interesting coming from Ferrari going forward. End of the era.

5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I think you should wait to see the cars... ;)

ciao

6. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I dont buy sports cars that only look good but have no soul (for me that is loud soundtrack).

babgh, Thecadster and SoCal to az like this.
  7. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    So I read between the lines that you have faith in the future of Ferrari, correct?

As you are for sure someone with a little bit of insight in Ferrari, what is your take on the carbon chassis discussion? What do you think when will we see a series production Ferrari with a carbon tub?

Senna1994 and of2worlds like this.
  8. Ferrari Marketing Guy

Jan 1, 2019
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Steve Sudler
    The way out for Ferrari (and other sports car makers) is the Synthetic Fuels push. Ferrari is working with Shell on this, and F1 will use all synthetic fuels in the near future. These fuels are just as "green" as EV and will make all of the existing (and hopefully future) cars CO2 compliant.

D11, ferrarifanatic25, tfazio and 2 others like this.
  9. therryzsx

therryzsx Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2011
    Why Ferrari don't create car similar to Porsche GT3?? Naturally aspirated engine with small displacement, power around 450-550hp and max rpm red line at 9k or 10k. Instead they create another turbo car with excess power around 700 hp.

Senshi458, babgh and ferrarifanatic25 like this.
  10. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Not sure about this. An ICE, regardless of the fuel it burns, emits CO2 as part of its necessary combustion process. Pure chemistry. The EV does not. What synfuels may claim, at best, is that they are carbon neutral, which may be a bit of a stretch if they are looked at holistically.

Synfuels generated through purely renewable energy (Porsche is looking at wind turbines to drive their chemical processes) are currently not viable on a large scale. So, who gets the synfuels? Maybe Porsche and Ferrari will be making fuel for themselves?

From an efficiency standpoint, the ICE can never match that of an EV. Never. Google Carnot cycle and one can begin to understand an ICE’s limitations due to physics. It’s indisputable.

Bottom line - far more energy is needed to propel an ICE than an EV.

So I guess it’s how one defines ‘green’.

CottonCandy and sailfly like this.
  11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Exactly. Doesnt matter if it isnt the quickest...wrap a sexy body on, nice exhaust and done.

12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I’ve been saying the same thing for a while now. Imagine a stripped down, lightweight mid-engine platform that features the engine from the 812. Perhaps it looks similar to this.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Imagine how many they could sell and how much they could charge. RACE would double.

babgh, JAM1, jpalmito and 3 others like this.
  13. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany

When both synfuels and the electricity used in an EV are considered green, the ICE still has the advantage of not consuming as many hard to get materials.

Thecadster likes this.
  14. red passion

Mar 4, 2012
    Hockenheim, Germany
    At the end it’s basically all about two indicators. 1. Is it considered as carbon neutral and 2. Is it financially viable? For 1. we can already say yes it is and for 2. it remains to be seen.

The discussions about efficiency etc . are kind of pointless as all the scenarios for synfuels include a global sourcing strategy that consider the input energy as an unlimited resource as production can be anywhere on the globe and therefore there is no local energy compromised that could be used more efficiently in EVs. The question is just can they make a business case out of that.

15. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Sorry, this is pure fantasy, no "standards body" has approved of this method, plus, you might want to review the Euro 7 specs (not yet ratified), it calls for elimination or near elimination of may currently unregulated "pollutants". Not only that, but billions of gallons per year will be required in EU alone, the entire production of gasoline for EU would have to be of this 'synthetic formulation' to guarantee CO2 levels are consistent regardless of where the vehicles are fueled. Not to mention Syn fuels are super expensive, could be $30/$40 per gallon before taxes...(but other currently unregulated pollutants maybe remain, making the entire gambit completely pointless)

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1130400_synthetic-fuel-is-how-porsche-intends-to-keep-its-classics-on-the-road

and, because hydrogen is utilized it will not scale well at all (i.e. will never displace current gasoline production, or if it ever did, would be decades in the future - time required to build new refineries)

https://dieselinformation.aecc.eu/upcoming-euro-7-emission-regulations-to-drive-europes-zero-emission-mobility-goal/

excerpt:

Secondly, under the Euro 6 & VI regime, emissions limits and test procedures can vary according to the type of vehicle. For instance, petrol cars are permitted to emit more carbon monoxide (CO) than diesel cars, whilst higher levels of nitrogen oxides (NOx) are allowed from diesel vehicles. There are also discrepancies between the limits from gas-powered and diesel-powered trucks. The future Euro 7 should ensure these criteria are equally important for all applications.

A better understanding of vehicle emissions has demonstrated that some currently unregulated pollutants and greenhouse gases should also be considered. Adding limits for harmful ultra-fine particles smaller than 23 nanometres (PN10), ammonia (NH3) and nitrous oxides (N2O) to the new Euro 7 regulation will provide reassurance that vehicles are as clean as possible.

Apparently, the goal of Euro 7 is to completely eliminate combustion motors and CO2 emissions are only part of the current parameters of Euro 7, once ratified we will know more.

https://epha.org/new-euro7-standards-the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-for-polluting-vehicles/

excerpt:

The new Euro 7/VII standards will contribute to a modal shift from car-based cities to walking, cycling, and public transport, wherever possible.

of2worlds likes this.
  16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The Roma / Portofino models will always be detuned as they are wet sump motors :(

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    That would be the end all. In Grigio Ferro, of course. :cool:

Thecadster and of2worlds like this.
  18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

You have a spare 5 M get Ferrari to build you what ever car you wish.

19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Dealer. Yeh i know but i believe them. The reason the SF90 is about 1.1 million here . The F8 starts at 530 K . There is too big a gap. The LB will come in about Pista Pricing 730 K Which then gives room for the Portofino to go up and down at the bottom the Roma.

Like i said many say the LB is the replacement of the F8 etc but really its just a new model

20. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The green ppl are really going to ruin the world in the name of saving it

stavura, babgh, Napoli and 2 others like this.
  21. And what engine would Ferrari put in this mythical unicorn of a car?

The V8 from the 458/Speciale? It would not pass current emissions or sound.

So would Ferrari develop a brand new NA V8 (or, gasp!, a V6) for a low production, low demand* car? Not likely. Or, more accurately, most definitely not likely.

(*Yes, low demand. While the peanut gallery here on FChat love this car, the rest of the public that Ferrari caters to and actually cares about (i.e., those that watch and/or own RACE), will never green light such a project -- either in terms of engine development or actual concept-to-production car.)

Boomhauer, SoCal to az and Senna1994 like this.
  22. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Albert, thank you always for the information.

SVR and of2worlds like this.
  23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Money talks. You can have anything you want. As long it uses one of the current engines.

I dare say a V12 mid engine F8 would go down very well.

24. MassAppeal

MassAppeal Karting

Mar 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mass Appeal
    The chances are that they would have to stretch the chassis, or develop a new one to put the V12 into the F8 sized car. This would mean more R&D, possibly even a new carbon chassis/tub to offset the weight gained from the V12. Just look at some of the stretched mules in this thread.

25. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    My comments are based on what i was told enquiring about having a car made just for you. A one off your design, obviously with a little help.

MassAppeal likes this.