Maserati Khamsin | Page 373 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. achimguenther1

Nov 6, 2011
    Germany, Baunatal
    Full Name:
    Achim Günther
    Hello Mike,
    Sorry for late answer: here a few pictures.

It is common to change valve seals in the car, for example older VW engines had problems with valve seals after years. ( as you know I was engineer in VW company )

So I thought it must also be possible with the Maserati V8:

First take out camshafts and close chains over my dummy camshaft rollers: see IMG 1473

reason later...

The main Idea for the tool came from page 1-17 in the Quattroporte 3 manual, engine section: Cylinder head overhaul:

..."with aid of tool 18 compress the spring and take out valve spring retaining half-cones....

My tool is similar to the tool Nr. 18 on page 1-17. see and compare photos.

I slaughtered a cheap valve spring compression tool, to get the part pressing on the valve spring, IMG1186

To make sure, that the valve does not fall into the cylinder, i did 2 things:

1) turn the engine so that the piston of the valve I am working on, is in TDC position

2) push in press air trough the spark plug hole ( Tool IMG1474, made from an old spark Plug) and block engine with 5th, gear and handbrake. Must pull handbrake really strong !!!

Fix the tool (IMG 1472) on the cylinder head, and adjust the "bridge" of the tool, so that it is exactly in line with the axis of the valve stem. ( In case not, you get problems to take out the half cones )

When you now slowly press down the spring with the tool, you can hear a little noise of the press air out of exhaust or carburetor. Stop pressing, when the noise starts and hit a little bit on the spring. The half-cones will loosen and noise stops: valve comes up again and closes from press air.

Now you press the springs more down, until you can take out the halve cones with a magnet.

After taking away the tool you can take out the valve springs and you have access to the valve seals.

If the piston is in TDC position, the valve can not fall in, so you can shut of the press air.

Now you can check the slide and interference of the valve stem in the valve guide and the valve seals.

A tool to take out the valve seals is available on the market, take one with angle.

To press on the new valve seals, I prepared a steel pipe in the suitable innerer diameter, see IMG 1479

Elring 553.190 valve seals fit for the Maserati V8.IMG1480

Same procedure for assembling. To put in the halve cones is tricky, a little bit grease helps.

To get the next cylinder in TDC, you must turn the engine. To get no trouble with the chains and their position on the main chain wheel, I made 2 plastic cylinders, closed the chain over the plastic rollers, instead of the camshaft chain gear.

With them I can rotate the engine front and back, and later find the retaining spring.

Its is easy to do the work for the input valves. Start with them, to get experience.

But exhausts, are tricky:

In the Khamsin, for cylinder 1 and 2, 7 and 8 it helps to take away the front wheels.

For cylinder 3 and 4, 5 and 6, its really difficult, I asked a friend who is teeth doctor for small mirror.

I dont know how good or bad is the access to the cylinder heads in other Maserati V8 cars.

Do this work only, if you are sure that you have a problem with valve springs or seals !
    My result was good, no more oil smoke.

Regards Achim

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. achimguenther1

Nov 6, 2011
    Germany, Baunatal
    Full Name:
    Achim Günther

3. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #9303 Nembo1777, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    AM120US1026 emerges in Texas....

A very sad sight, I am told the engine turns over on the key.

The man who just bought it has no idea what it is and was toying with the idea of restoring it, I explained what would be involved....so now he is asking me what he can sell it for....Obviously an abandoned project...

It was bought new in Las Vegas by Jay Stream the manager of entertainer Wayne Newton.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sun baked to death and an automatic ... oh joy!

In the words of Gullwing motorcars "Easy restoration".

Carmine? ;)

Looks like lots of good parts though so worth squirrelling away for someone.

MK1044 and jippiejake like this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #9305 Nembo1777, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Am working on getting it put to good use. It is so scary looking it reminds me of cars showing up in middle eastern war zones.

6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The Nevada sun can be just as deadly. I guess it's because I know a lot more than the average Joe about cars like this that makes me so shocked that anyone would abuse one in this manner.
    I have an acquaintance who rescued a Shamal from a sun baked death in the ME and got it running and renewed. But it wasn't nearly this bad.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  7. Froggie

Froggie Formula Junior

Sep 27, 2017
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Serge
    Damage is such that it also looks as if it had been flooded...

8. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    There were many vintage Maserati's and other cars that were flooded here sometime around 2010??? from one of the hurricanes, at least one Bora that I know of. Caveat emptor. Still lots of good parts.

9. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    One photo shows the driver's door on and in another the door is gone. Was the door sold?

Ivan

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    This one I am definitely not recommending as more than a parts car.

Ivan the door is back on the car. Why it was off is a mystery.

I am due to speak with the man today or more likely tomorrow.

11. AMLC

AMLC Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2009
    Did the owner say anything about the colour of the car? Is the paint completely gone, or is that white or silver paint? And the interior is black leather, or is it blue?

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello AMLC,

The car is white, odd that there is tape on part of the rear trunk hatch. Interior color I don't know, seems black to me but could be dark blue. I have not yet spoken with him on the phone. Will update and get factory info later.

The car had been there sitting since 1983 and has 19000 miles. It is in the middle of south Texas. The rear bumper only was converted but not sure if done right as there seems to be gaps behind the bumper where the brackets go, it should be sealed and painted, this is what makes me think it is an abandoned project. The photo with the door off is dissonant with the rest of the story; I will obviously clarify all the questions I have when he and I talk.

13. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Marc,
    If they are going to part it out, there are a few things I could use.

14. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    +1

15. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Anything hydraulic is mine :)

Ivan

16. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I'm interested in those 'young' rear shocks and springs if not leaking... And the fuel cosmetic cover, and the wheel covers.. and.....

17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I hear all four of you and your laments and supplications;-)

I spoke with Kevin the owner half an hour last night, more news later today, busy day.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  18. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    You mean MIE hasn't snapped it up already? Their slipping ... LOL.

Just kidding, as actually that or another vendor might be the best way to make the most parts rationally available to everyone.
    They might be able figure how to gets parts off sensitively, well maybe ... Is there anyone left at MIE who knows these cars? Just Jacques I imagine and he's busy running a business right?

That's what I'd do were I the owner of this hulk.

19. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    I’ll have the spare wheel if it’s going!!!

20. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    i was waiting for someone to claim the spare tire. If we’re doing that, my interest is in non-fuel C-pillar cover and door handle.

21. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    OK---before it is too late:)
    I will take the 2 asymmetrical hood vents and the 2 little black 'elliptical' plastic knobs (one of which can be seen in the above interior pic) which cap the seat back tilting lever!;)

22. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    I have its other OEM wiper blade holder... and I call dibs on the steering shaft boot at the firewall :D, if there's anything left of it...

Interesting that the rear has been Euro converted, but the front retains the US bumpers..

23. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Patience dear all,

I am working on a solution BUT I am not about to move to Texas an become a backyard grease monkey detaching parts and mailing them to all of you;-) I am going to get it sold to somebody who can deal with the demand and will even get the dust off first!

Art several people did the back only initially, but yes front and rear should be done along with sidelights during any proper conversion.

MK1044 and rga like this.
  24. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    The question is will Jacques ship it to Washington or Virginia?