360 - Lose timing belt. | FerrariChat

360 Lose timing belt.

Discussion in '360/430' started by tonino ct, Feb 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    Hi guys. I need an opinion. I removed the timing belts covers and i noticed the left belt was completely lose. The hydraulic tensioner is basically down to zero. I tried to lose the 17m on the bearing nut and the hydraulic tensioner came out and i was able to insert the pin. My question is :what causes this to happen and how can you tell id the Hydraulic tensioner is good? Also my belt was done from a professional 2 years ago about 5k miles ago along with the mejor service.
    i dont want to spent 500$ for the HT if i dont need it.
    any advice will help. thank you.
    tony.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2981324

2. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Had the same "issue" when I opened the cover for the first time... A little "panic moment" but happy nothing got broken...

Well, it turns out that it all depends where and how the motor stopped the last time it was run. You cannot check the tension of the belt at anywhere else than TDC on the compression stroke of Cyl #1. So turn the engine by hand clockwise using a 36 or 32mm (don't recall) on the main crankshaft pulley until you bring the engine to TDC and check the tension then.

Now, it looks like you've already loosen the tensioner bearing so unfortunately you'll have to re-do the tension at TDC following the workshop manual procedure. PM me if you need a link to download it.

3. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    Thanks for the tips. Now i need to buy the tensioner tool. I should have waited for the responce.

4. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    Please send the link. Thanks.

5. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    Can you explain why? Are you saying that the cam belt tension changes according to the position of the crankshaft? How does it do that?

6. tonino ct

tonino ct Karting

Mar 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    tonino tony
    My meccanic said the same thing. Spin the motor over and let it settle for a few minute & see how the tension is.Thats what he wrote me back. But i was to late. I already loosened the tensioner

7. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    It's all due to where the cams stop in their cycle.
    Depending on the stop position, the valve springs create a torque on each cam in one direction or the other. That results in variable tensions in the 3 strands of the belt.
    Belt tension must always be checked at the same position and Ferrari selected the #1 TDC.

MCASEY and EastMemphis like this.
  8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    My old mondial, you could check the tension by finding the longest run and when you could twist it by 45 deg in the middle of the long run , then it was right. Lot to be said for the simple old engines

9. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    Check your PM...

10. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    Hmmm. I could see that if there was only one set of cam lobes involved but with cam lobes pointing every which way down the length of the camshafts it doesn't seem to make sense to me. But, if it says that is the WSM then it must be so!

11. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    On our V8, the cam lobes are 90° apart on each camshaft. If you try to turn such a camshaft by hand (no belt), you will find that it can stay fix (no torque due to valve springs) only at some stable and unstable positions. Stable positions are where 2 cam lobes are compensating each other, unstable is when 1 cam lobe is at max opening with almost no effect of other cams.
    In between these stable positions (where the camshaft has no effect on belt tension) the torque resulting of all the valve springs and cam lobes can be in one direction or the other. If the engine stop there (between stable positions) this torque will have a direct impact on the tension of the 2 strands of the belt connected to the pulley.

MCASEY and EastMemphis like this.
  12. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
    I totally agree with eric355. I can say from experience if a particular lifter is on the high portion of the slope of a cam lobe it is pre-loaded by the valve spring, and can cause the cam to rotate. In This case would be toward the leading edge of the cam pulley because it can cause slack on that portion of the belt that is normally tight when engine is spinning forward. That would be sort of the equivalent of spinning the motor backwards even if the crank didn’t move.

Cam rotation happened to me when I was degreeing my engine. Had the cam pulley bolts loose and cam slipped due to that preload from the valve spring on a cam lobe. My Heart skipped a beat when cam slipped.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I found the exact same condition yesterday!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    Coming from 3000GTs (4 cam interference v6) that car is also known to loosen tension sometimes when the car is not running and it immediately re-tightens when turning over. The tensioner and pulley deign on that car is also very similar. Not anything to worry about unless the belt is in poor condition or if you poke the belt too much and skip a tooth.

15. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    I think from that photo you can see the timing marks are also not lined up. I believe those red marks correspond to TDC on Cyl 1 from the last time the belt was done.

16. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be looking for so I removed the covers to see.

The red marks freaked me out! They seem to be out of phase. However, upon closer inspection, I believe there are notches on the pulleys that will be at the 12 o'clock position and the red marks will be directly opposite each other when the cams rotate another 90deg. I think the red marks are from a previous belt change.
    I am surprised the pulley teeth are not better aligned to each other. Perhaps from cam timing?

I ordered a TDC indicator. I need to put the transmission back in the car to lock the crank with the tool I have and also get a socket to get the crank pulley nut loose at 144ft-lb torque!

17. Melvin Diagnosi

Melvin Diagnosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Melvin Williams