Early 30 year guy needing financial/ferrari advice | FerrariChat

Early 30 year guy needing financial/ferrari advice

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ascend, Feb 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I am not a regular poster here nor a F car owner but I do need F chatter's wisdom on my car purchase.

I have a budget of 400k (Max but would love to preferably spend less) and am looking for a car that I can drive around 1000 to 2000 miles / year, relatively cheap to maintain and won't tank in value.

I looked into 2006 FGT but these have gone up in value.

I am looking at several cars right now.

997 GT3 RS

458 Speciale

360CS - Nice car but really hard to come by a car with relatively clean hx

FGT (Should've bought it last year. I got a cold feet and backed out during stock market crash)

Maybe SLS AMG?

I know F chatters have a lot of experience with cars of multiple brands. What would you guys buy if you were me? Other car suggestions are welcome.

Thecadster likes this.
  2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    If you're considering a 360CS, I know someone who has a very clean one. I also think Scuderias are a bit undervalued right now but that's my 2 cents. GT3 RS is a great option as well.

LARRYH and ewright like this.
  3. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Scuderias are defintiely a little undervalued but it is just stuck in a middle place. Not as old school/classic as 360cs but next to 458, it looks outdated.

4. MikeMonty

MikeMonty Karting

May 28, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I would say 458 Speciale or 430 Scud if you want a car that is going to hold its value. I am sure FGTs will hold their value but you are also paying a premium.

5. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I’ve owned a Speciale and a 16M. Sold the 16M first and later traded the Speciale. Miss my Speciale and will get another some day. It’s a fantastic driver’s car. Prices are reasonable considering they have stayed above MSRP for over 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    FGT prices have been bonkers lately. Once you get into mid 300k territory, I am starting to feel that speciale is probably a better car. My worry is the maintenance cost of 458.

7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I vote 458 speciale

I would just go and do it! :D

Robb

Booker, DrewH and Jaguar36 like this.
  8. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    If you’re not driving it often, then you’ll be looking at it. It’d be a choice between CS and Speciale. I think CS prices have bottomed. Not sure about the Speciale.

I’d rather have a CS + Scud vs a Speciale.

26street and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I would submit that considering all your needs and stated requirements, a FGT is still your best bet....since you want to drive it, you don't want a $350k zero mile car. Just in the past 2 weeks, an 11k mile car sold for $270k.

Yes, there has been an upward shift starting last May. I bought mine last Feb for well under $200k (28k miles with a couple of minor stories).....amazing cars.

Good Luck

Thecadster likes this.
  10. F11

F11 Karting

Aug 2, 2005
    I would get either a 550 Barchetta, 575M Gated, or F12 but seems like you prefer mid engine "sportier" cars. The only mid engine car that pulls at my heart is the Scud and it seems like a pretty good value currently.

ShineKen likes this.
  11. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    Don’t buy one, buy two!
    I suggest a 612 for every day and a 430 for weekend fun.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I would agree that the 458 is probably at the near bottom of the depreciation curve now. They are pretty dependable and the last of the V8 N/A engines we will see from Ferrari -- perhaps ever.

Getting a special edition just makes it that more valuable. Last comment is people love Convertible Ferrari's.

DrewH and Hawkeye like this.
  13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    458 Speciale

14. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Speciale or Ford GT.

technom3 and Ascend like this.
  15. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I call bogus post , doesn't make sense

16. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Ugh shouldve bought gt last year... i want to kick myself for not pulling the trigger.

DIGMAN52 likes this.
  17. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Kim,
    Welcome. It's a very hard question.
    That said, the only key FGT/GT3 offer manual so if that's important to you, that cuts the list down quite a bit. Also, if you had to pick which one was the most pleasing to your eye, which would it be?

18. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim

Thats a hard question.
    Gt3 is the ugliest bar none.
    Speciale and GT both look beautiful.

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Okay, so does driving an ‘ugly’ car to you matter? Are you looking for the 'best' performance? Does driving stick matter?
    Cheers

20. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron

With all respect, if you can afford a 400k car, the least of your concern is maintenance cost. I'd think that none of the cars you mentioned above will be "cheap" to maintain anyway.
    But good luck. A seemingly nice and well-cared for low mileage CS seems to pop up here from time to time.

Steelton Keith and IloveGT like this.
  21. Ascend

Ascend Karting

Jul 23, 2018
    Full Name:
    Kim
    I understand. Just want to avoid anything ridiculous like slr (6500/year on average for maintenance) on a depreciating asset.

22. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Repeat after me: "Unless its a halo model.. I acknowledge it will be a depreciating asset". Its NEVER how much you gain.. it's about minimizing loss. i.e NOT buying an Aston Martin. It will loose value unless you get lucky and buy in a down cycle.

You're not going to spend >$5k on it per year. And if you have a mechanic that tells you that.. get another one who won't bleed you dry.

23. yoda

yoda F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2004
    UT
    Another vote for Speciale. Last of the N/A mid-engine V8 models. Aperta models are brining big money now and I think Speciale coupes will continue to creep up in appreciation.

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #24 paulchua, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Kim, does driving stick matter? Have you test drove any of these? I recommend you ask specific questions, as the broad ones can easily be dismissed as coming from a place of naivete.
    What flavor of Ice Cream should you choose? These get eye-rolled pretty quick don't they?

:)

Like the grown man that asked us what Ferrari he should buy in 2027. Or the other guy that is mad when he asked us which Ferrari he should buy, since he liked 6 he test drove all 'equally.' And our response was huh?

:)

Alcav5 likes this.
  25. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    After owning one for 13 years, I vote for an '05-06 Ford GT. You can get one with 10k or so miles for $300k or slightly under. We never had to have anything serviced on the car except oil, tires, and airbag recalls. It is roomier inside than many exotics, and is an easy shifting clutching car around town. There still are several of the original GT factory people who work only on the GT's as well. Just budget some Bridgestones to replace the rock hard Goodyears that came on them.

I expect them to keep on creeping up in price, as more are wrecked, sold out of the country, and parts of collections limit supply. I know several new GT owners who are selling the " racecar" after the 2 year limit, and keeping their old GT's. One of which, has owned a perfect Miura, Carrera GT and several other exotics.

Shark01, anunakki and Thecadster like this.