What's For Dinner? | Page 654 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I ordered the Subway online. Only had to go inside and pick up my order. Some Subway stores have curbside pick up. Very little chance of being Covid exposed...................

I'm not sure what I'm getting for dinner tonight. Still unpacking. Tired of fast food and pizza.

2. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Debragga, also just brought in a whole Sablefish, Monkfish tail, Eastern oysters, Diver scallops, Spanish jumbo Carabineros and caviar. Seafood lalapalooza this weekend. Had the Sablefish last night, Wow, super fresh and juicy...also known as black cod. Using the head and bones to make a Fumet for soup. Sorry, forgot to take a pic last night. All the seafood from Browne in Maine

3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I've had black cod. Great stuff. I've heard monkfish is superb...T

4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I just watched an episode of Meat Eater the other day and they were in Alaska fishing for black cod. They were WAY down there. I think they said something like 1,600 feet down or some wild depth. I think they said about 25 minutes round trip to get the gear down there and back up with an electric reel. Sablefish is another name for 'em.

I've been eating leftover chili the last couple days. This is a good batch but I'm getting tired of it!

Made a Costco run today so had chicken and salad for dinner. I bought some of their pre-made lime cilantro shrimp too. Not a huge fan so far but I'm gonna see if I can spice 'em up a bit and like 'em better.

Camp Freddie likes this.
  5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sablefish

Wiki says they can be found up to almost 9,000 feet in depth!

Also known as butterfish, which I've had at Roy's in Hawaii as well as here in DFW. Miso black cod.

Now I'm hungry for fish!

T

Camp Freddie likes this.
  6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Another tidbit, sablefish is the fish used to make smoked "sable", which is a popular NYC deli specialty. My dad worked in a deli for a time and he said sable was the best of the smoked fishes, much better than smoked salmon and the like...T

7. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Despite being tired of pizza, got a taco one at the chain place. Not bad. Tonight I'm going to see if my family will do Chinese take out, I'm craving Americanized Chinese. The old restaurant is only 26 minutes away, shouldn't get too cold on the trip home. Or I'll see if I can find a local restaurant that's less expensive then the one I found online.

8. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    OK. Have a couple of prime tri tips from Costco on defrost, so time to go all in on the pinquitos. I am using the recipe kindly provided above but with a pinch of tumeric powder instead of mustard powder, and I assumed 3 cloves of garlic was a typo, so I doubled it! :D

If it works out, film @ 11!

T

BrettC and wax like this.
  9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Oh. Lord bless these Pinquitos and the hands that discovered, planted, watered, harvested, bagged, sold, shipped and delivered, and especially bless the hands of the preparers and consumers of Pinquitos. Amensch.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

tomc likes this.
  10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Preach it, Brother Wax!
    T

11. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
  12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  13. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

armedferret likes this.
  14. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
  15. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I grabbed a couple tri tips at Costco the other day too. I'm gonna sous vide them up tomorrow night and take 'em to my Dad's for dinner on Sunday. I like 'em with garlic and horseradish rub. Then either grill or even frying pan to brown 'em up. Yummmm, almost can't wait for Sunday now!! :)

tomc likes this.
  16. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Way too done.

:) Actually it looks really good, nice even cooking.

I think I'm gonna try making a cauliflower pizza crust this weekend. Bought stuff to do it, we'll see how it turns out. I'm honestly not expecting much. :)

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wife bought one pre-made. Blech.
    Keep an eye on the ingredients. If it is like the stuff from Costco they add malic acid (am guessing as a preservative/color retention), which adds a vinegar-like taste to the cauliflower. We soak/rinse our riced cauliflower in warm water 2 or 3 times to reduce the malic acid right before cooking; think it makes for a better tasting product...T

18. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Ended up doing Chinese take out. Found a hole in the wall place semi local. We all gave it a 7 out of 10. Google reviews said 4.5 out 5 as their rating. Have my brother, SIL and nephew visiting next weekend. SIL is the will only eat Asian Chinese girl. So I'll order from them again to feed them.

Since I have three garages now, only filled up one side. We are moving my parents storage locker into my third garage today. We'll probably get pizza for dinner.

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    3 garage slots? jealous!
    Enjoy the new house...T

max930 likes this.
  20. max930

Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Thanks............ I like it. The only thing it needs is a pool. 3 car garage is going to be storage space. Have a lot of corporate records, etc.

21. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Great comments on the Sablefish. VERY rich eating, I guess the highest (good) fat content of any white fish and I can attest to that. Really rich so don't serve too much on your plate...ask me how I know! I bet it smoked would be great. I made a fumet with the bones and head yesterday. After, had a 1/2" of oil leftover on top.

tomc likes this.
  22. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
  23. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sirloins surprisingly. Costco prime.

That pizza looks phenomenal!!

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    So far, so good. Have only tasted them for flavor adjustment. I think they need a bit more cooking and a tad more salt...T