Ferrari 2021 Season - Preparation/News | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 2021 Season - Preparation/News

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Dec 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I do hope they'll get rid of the disco lights on the wheel covers...

2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ferrari completed 283 laps in 3 days for the 2022 Pirelli 18 inch tire test.

3. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Ferrari entering WEC 2023 and already transferring staff from F1 to that effort.

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/155207/ferrari-revises-chassis-department

Ferrari has revised its chassis department ahead of the new Formula 1 season following a difficult campaign last year.

After a challenging 2020 campaign, where the Italian squad was hampered by a down-on-power engine and a car that was too draggy, it has finalised an overhaul of the way it operates.

It will maintain a reporting structure underneath team principal Mattia Binotto with distinct heads of departments, but has decided to reorganise how its chassis department works.

Following the departure of former chassis head Simone Resta to Haas at the end of last year, Enrico Cardile has been formally put in charge of that area.

He will work as a department chief alongside power unit head Enrico Gualtieri, sporting director Laurent Mekies and supply chain head Gianmaria Fulgenzi.

While the processes there will remain the same, Ferrari's chassis department will be split up into four new areas, with the hope being that this will boost the ability of the team to make improvements.

The four areas will be vehicle concept (headed by David Sanchez), chassis performance engineering (Enrico Cardile), chassis project engineering (Fabio Montecchi) and vehicle operations (Diego Ioverno).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cardile's area here will also encompass race trackside engineering work.

In a bid to further help ease some of the burden that Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto has faced since taking over the team at the start of 2019, there have been changes in the commercial area too.

The commercial, marketing and events department will now be part of its brand diversification area, and will be led by Nicola Boari.

Ferrari endured a disappointing run to sixth place in the constructors' championship last year, its worst result for decades.

It failed to win any races, but Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel did manage to grab some podium finishes.

The team is hopeful, however, that a new power unit and tweaks to its car can help it recover ground prior to the rules shake up coming for 2022.

Ferrari is due to hold a team launch event on Friday, featuring drivers Leclerc and Carlos Sainz Jr, before revealing its new SF21 on the eve of pre-season testing next month.

5. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  6. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    I don't know. The design of the Merc chassis may be untouchable. It would be nice to see a return to form but Ferrari seems to have patches of mediocrity as a matter of course.

7. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    #182 Bas, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Ferrari can forget it this season...sad to say. Problems are aero, chassis and of course engine. With the limitations of allowed upgrades for 2021, they're upgrading the horrible rear end (which should be worth a decent amount of time) and they won't shut up about their 2021 engine so lets assume that'll be pretty good. I think an occasional podium is possible but that'll be all...so yes, for Ferrari Mercedes is untouchable this season.

Red Bull is a different case altogether. They've now got a similar rear suspension to what Mercedes had last year, something that was far more beneficial than the DAS system IMO. DAS is removed anyways, and of course the changes of the floor which is the most interesting.

It remains to be seen which concept will be hurt more, or if the impact is similar. One source says that Red Bull's high rake concept will be hurt more, the other says the impact is similar for both Low and High rake. We won't know until Q2 Bahrain I guess! If the impact is similar, Red Bull with their upgraded engine and fancy new rear suspension should at least be competitive on Mercedes level.

That is...unless Mercedes has yet another ground breaking concept on their 2021 car...

8. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #183 jgonzalesm6, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Salo’s Ferrari cheating comments ‘a stupid joke’

excerpts

Salo, who has previously been forced to deny allegations of leaking details of race penalties to the Finnish media, claimed that Ferrari’s punishment for using an engine that was not fully compliant with the regulations was to use less fuel flow during the 2020 campaign.

That, according to him, was why the Scuderia and its customer teams, Alfa Romeo and Haas, struggled for pace last season.

But, after his comments spread across the Formula 1 community, he has now dismissed them as “a stupid joke” in a video post uploaded to Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLts-ZNpHzn/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again

“I realise that a few comments I made on Twitch a few days ago has been interpreted in a misleading way,” Salo said.

“I would like to clarify that I have no knowledge of the agreement, or any kind of agreement, between the FIA and Ferrari. We only talked about what has been in the press and media before.

“It was a stupid joke and just an informal conversation between two friends.

“All I can say is that I really have no clue on any sort of contract and even I knew any confidential information I would not say it to you guys.”

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mika-salo-ferrari-cheating-comments/

tifosi12 likes this.
  9. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Ferrari confident SF21 F1 car won't lack straightline speed

Ferrari is confident its new SF21 car will not suffer from the same straightline speed deficit this year that hurt its form so much in Formula 1 last season.

The Italian outfit endured a frustrating 2020 campaign, with its SF1000 hampered by both a down on power engine and too draggy aerodynamics.

It left drivers Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel down on top speed for the straights, which hampered hopes against rival teams.

The team has worked hard over the winter at its Maranello base to address the deficits, and it has confidence that it will not suffer the same weakness this time around.

Speaking at a Ferrari 2021 launch event on Friday, team principal Mattia Binotto expressed his confidence that the squad was in a better shape both with its engine and its aerodynamic efficiency.

"I think that last year the main issue was the speed on the straights, not only the power but both power and drag," he explained.

"We've worked a lot, both on the power unit, and the car aerodynamics, to reduce the drag of the car. And based on our simulations today, based on what we can see in terms of power output from the dynos, and the drag of the car from the windtunnel, I think that we recovered quite a lot of speed on the straights.

"So I'm expecting the speed not to be such an issue as it was. We hope to be competitive, but we will know it only when being in Bahrain, because it's always relative to what the others are doing.

"But we believe that our car is certainly more efficient compared to the one we had last year, and when I'm saying efficient, again, it is both from the aero point of view, and from the power unit point of view."

Although Binotto is encouraged about the situation Ferrari is in with the car, he is well aware that the team cannot expect to close the entire gap to Mercedes and Red Bull in just a single season.

"The way I've seen the car developing both in the windtunnel and on the dyno, I believe that somehow we made a significant effort," he said.

"But you cannot know where you are if you are not on track, and I think that will be important for us. We need to be realistic. The gap to the best last year was very important, and not something that we can recover in a single winter."

Binotto also said that with the team so focused on capitalising on the opportunities for 2022, it will not devote much time on developing the SF21 during the forthcoming campaign.

"Our focus during 2021 will be developing the 2022 car," he said. "That will be the main target, so we will not spend much time on the 2021 [car] during the season.

"There is always a balance, and it's a choice that we need to make at some stage. But the 2022 car is such a big change that there is at least a minimum quantity of exercise and design and projects that need to be developed. So most of the effort will be there.

"That's why how the car is handling at the very start of the season is very important, because it's somehow the balance of performance we may see for the rest of the season.

"As I said, we obviously know how much we progressed in the windtunnel and with power. But more than that, what will be important is to see the track delivery. How the car will be on track compared to expectations."

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/155229/ferrari-confident-sf21-wont-lack-straightline-speed

Simulations show Ferrari has “recovered quite a lot of speed” with new car – Binotto

Ferrari team principal Mattia Binotto says the team has successfully addressed the main weakness of last year’s car with its new design for the 2021 F1 season.

Speaking at the team’s 2021 season launch, at which the new SF21 was not presented, Binotto said simulations of its revised aerodynamics and new power unit indicate it will be much quicker on the straights than its predecessor.

“I think that last year the main issue was the speed on the straight lines,” said Binotto. “Not only the power but both power and drag.

“We’ve worked a lot both on the power unit and the car aerodynamics to reduce the drag of the car. And based on our simulations today, based on what we can see in terms of power output from the dynos and the drag of the car from the wind tunnel, I think that we’ve recovered quite a lot of speed on the straight lines. So I’m expecting the speed not to be such an issue as it was.”

Ferrari is due to launch its new car on March 10th, two days before pre-season testing begins at the Bahrain International Circuit.

“We hope to be competitive but we will know it only when being in Bahrain,” said Binotto. “I think it’s always relative to what the others are doing.

“But we believe our car is certainly more efficient compared to the one we had last year, and when I am saying efficient it is again from the aero point of view and the power unit point of view.”

https://www.racefans.net/2021/02/26/simulations-show-ferrari-has-recovered-quite-a-lot-of-speed-with-new-car-binotto/

10. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  11. DF1

Carlos Sainz Jr remained coy over speculation he crashed while testing Pirelli's prototype 18-inch Formula 1 tyres for 2022 at Jerez earlier this week with Ferrari.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/155231/sainz-coy-on-crash-rumours-in-jerez-18inch-tyre-test

After making his first appearance behind the wheel of a Ferrari in a private test at Fiorano at the end of January, Sainz featured for the team in Pirelli's first development running of the year earlier this week.

Sainz and team-mate Charles Leclerc shared duties in a 2019-spec 'mule' car, allowing Pirelli to gather data using prototype 18-inch tyres ahead of the switch planned for next year.

Pirelli confirmed after the test that Sainz and Leclerc had completed more than 300 laps over three days, but it was rumoured that Sainz had crashed at one stage.

Asked during Ferrari's team launch on Friday about the test and if he had crashed, Sainz remained coy, saying details from the running had to remain private.

"Obviously Pirelli testing is completely private," Sainz said.

"So honestly, answering questions that are coming from somewhere else is difficult for me.

"I don't know how much we can tell contractually about what happened in the test.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

"But if something happened that I'm not going to tell you, it was very minor."

F1 will ditch its long-serving 13-inch wheels by switching to 18-inch designs in 2022, coinciding with the introduction of the new car designs after an overhaul of the technical regulations.

Sainz said the first signs he got from the test were "relatively positive", but was cautious given the difference between the mule car used and next year's final design.

"You can definitely start to feel some differences and there's definitely some things still to keep developing, but the first signs and the first feeling has been relatively positive," Sainz said.

"We need to wait until you fit those tyres into the next year's car, which is going to be quite a completely different animal. But the first impressions with a mule car has been positive."

Leclerc echoed Sainz's thoughts on the new tyres, saying: "We tried different things and to be honest, there are some positive things that came out of it. So, this is good.

"I believe that there's still quite a bit of work, but it went in the right direction and this is a good thing."

12. DF1

From post above by JGonzalesm6 - I think this is key to understand what we will see from Ferrari, the effort they make on this season. Clearly focus is future forward based from this-
    --
    "Binotto also said that with the team so focused on capitalising on the opportunities for 2022, it will not devote much time on developing the SF21 during the forthcoming campaign.

"Our focus during 2021 will be developing the 2022 car," he said. "That will be the main target, so we will not spend much time on the 2021 [car] during the season.

"There is always a balance, and it's a choice that we need to make at some stage. But the 2022 car is such a big change that there is at least a minimum quantity of exercise and design and projects that need to be developed. So most of the effort will be there."

Bas likes this.
  13. Kiwi Nick

Kiwi Nick Formula 3

Jun 13, 2014
    Durango, CO
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I do admire Ferrari for its decision to staff all of these key positions with Italians. They are being loyal to their home, and that's a good thing. But, it seems to me that adding a few Englishmen in key areas pays big dividends.

Bas and jpalmito like this.
  14. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Not a big fan...yet.

15. MillJen91

MillJen91 Rookie

Jan 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jennifer Miller
    I'm not all that hopeful for the 21 season. With the soft freeze on car development due to COVID delays of the rule changes for 22, it is most likely another Mercedes season. I hope that's not the case, but i've been overly optimistic for previous seasons regarding Ferrari, and unfortunately they never failed to disappoint.

Maybe the reverse mental approach will help me cope with the new season, whatever it may bring.

16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I do hope Binotto can prove us all wrong. Spending ANY time on the 2021 car beyond pre-season development is absolutely pissing money and time away. All focus should be on 2022. Any new parts that do find on the 2021 car should only be on to evaluate a concept for 2022.

fil likes this.
  17. DF1

I take the neutral position with my thoughs of Ferrari. Improvement I hope we see. Taking Binotto's statement the intent is for a much stronger challenge in 2022. So improvement with Ferrari I will understand it should carry forward to the 22 car. Marginal improvement for speed/reliability and cornering. Thats good overall.

The fun for me is to see the new driver matches and their results. Vettel, Sainz, Ricci at new teams with new team mates. This will be the intrigue along with what improvements are made by Mclaren.

I dont care much about RedBull as they complain about the engine situation, have a resolution and then beg for an engine freeze. They have the resources to develop the Honda PU then act like children. I hope every engine fails. They are ridiculous. Such talk of competition then ask for less after taking over the PU system from Honda. I will only care to see how Perez does in his new drive. The rest of the team, certainly management are absurd.

newark_308 and william like this.
  18. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

You express my feelings exactly !!

DF1 likes this.
  19. fer312t

fer312t Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2010
    Isn't that just the standard SF70H (2017) livery with some MissionWinnow graphics added?
    I have little hope the car will be gloss...

jpalmito likes this.
  20. MillJen91

MillJen91 Rookie

Jan 15, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jennifer Miller
    I really like the matte finish on the last one.

Thing is 22 is a whole new rule set as far as chassis goes. Whatever progress they can make to claw engine power back will help. Otherwise its a clean slate for the most part for next year.

One thing that I am optimistic about is the Leclerc/Sainz pairing. Both fast, both charismatic, in their primes (or on the upward side of the curve), and no huge egos to get in the way. (Not that Vettel had one, don't get me wrong.) McLaren also found the perfect replacement for Sainz in Dani Ric for sure.

21. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Fascinating stuff. So Ferrari had less than 100 liters of fuel on board for each race last season. That was their punishment for cheating the previous years. So in order to make it to the finish line, they had to dramatically reduce power. All makes sense now.

That said, this bodes well for this season, since the secret penalty has been lifted. I expect them to be competitive again.

22. DF1

Yes fully agree. Well said!

23. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    +1

Ricciardo is very lucky to fall on his feet with a drive at McLaren after 2 hopeless years at Renault.

I'm not so sure Sainz made a good career move though ...

Time will tell.

DF1 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Seems iti's all been lost in translation. I think what Salo is saying is that Ferrari for 2020 was using less fuel compared to their 2019 engine, which allegedly used more than the 100% allowed fuel flow limit. They weren't using less fuel than other teams in 2020.

PS fuel is in KG not liters...110kg allowed so 140.8 liters.

jpalmito likes this.
  25. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    They can when the rules are not frozen! Remember Brawn GP? Although Honda may not have been as low as 6th...