430 - F1 1st gear problem | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 F1 1st gear problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by KatMan, Jan 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari8403

Ferrari8403 Rookie

Dec 4, 2015
    The Nederlands
    I have been reading this topic with great interest, because I miss some feeling in the engagement of the clutch in 1st gear and especially downshifting from 3rd to 2ed. Before trying the ‘soft reset’ I have checked all the parameters of the clutch from my reader (Autel) with a cold- and warm engine.
    The procedure I did was, with a running engine pulled both paddles for 5-7 seconds till a beep is heard and released the paddles. Without restarting the engine I drove of. There wasn’t a significant change in the first short ride that same evening. The next day I toke a drive again and warmed the engine before shutting down my car and do a reset by turning the key the without starting the engine for 30 seconds. After this had a good drive where the engagement of the clutch while driving away from 0 was much better and the clunking on downshifts were completely gone!
    After this drive I check the settings again and were no differences between before and after the ‘double paddle’ procedure. So Iam not sure what this procedure actually does but there is a definite positive change in the drive and smoothness in the engagement of the clutch.

Very happy with the result to my car (06 F430 Coupe)

2. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Awesome. I still can't believe that after all these years this "soft reset" procedure isn't really documented or even mentioned on the forums or the web. I'm pretty sure this is equivalent to the same procedure on the gallardo e-gear cars. As your clutch wears the "gap" between the flywheel and the friction plate of the clutch increases. This makes engagement a little more "clunky" as wear increases and the gap increases. I believe (like with the gallardo) this procedure closes that gap just a bit so the engagement is closer/smoother. Glad to hear the improvement wasn't just in my head. I'm going to do it every couple months from hear on out!

3. Nholmes11

Nholmes11 Rookie

Dec 23, 2020
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is interesting! I am confused on exactly what you did on your second “reset”? What exactly step by step did you do with the paddles/key etc?!? Thanks!

4. Scottslaw

Scottslaw Formula Junior

Here is all I did (and it worked for me on my 08 scud): start car normally, foot on brake, pull both paddles simultaneously and hold them in the pulled position until the car beeps and a little red oil can icon flashes. Release paddles, drive away. report back how it works!

5. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    Nholmes11 is asking about the second reset. According to Ferrari8403, there is a second reset that is done WITHOUT starting the engine. I think we want to hear exactly how Ferrari8403 performed his second reset. Am I right Nholmes11?

jag-oo-r likes this.
  6. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    I'm going to have to try this when I back up on my 4 post lift. I can smell the clutch when I back it up sometimes. Thanks Terry!

7. Nholmes11

Nholmes11 Rookie

Dec 23, 2020
    Phoenix, AZ
    That is correct! He made it sound like that one made the difference. Thanks!

8. Ferrari8403

Ferrari8403 Rookie

Dec 4, 2015
    The Nederlands
    Its not like a real reset, but If you wait 30 sec before you push the starter button after turned on the ignition the ecu is reset. At least that is what I have red and it doesnt harm anything.

The procedure descriped by Scotsslaw is correct and thats the procedure I performed.