What's For Dinner? | Page 655 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Camp Freddie likes this.
  3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Monkfish is the one that some folks say if prepared right mimics lobster. They are some seriously ugly mo-fos too. The famous fish throwing place at Pike Place Market in Seattle used to always have one up front. Sometimes they tie a string to the mouth then get people to get close to pose for a pic and pull the string. Hilarity ensued!!

But yea, even uglier than one of my favorite fish Ling Cod....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm using fresh cauliflower. I would have used frozen riced but couldn't find any at the store the other night when I was there. I've also seen some recipes that use just cheese and eggs to make the crust. I'll probably try a few recipes and see which one I end up liking.

tomc likes this.
  5. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Stuffed poblano peppers.

Char the peppers under a high broiler. Let cool a bit, then peel the charred skin. Slit open, de-seed. Stuff. Cover with mozz. Bake at 350 F until cheese is bubbly.

Stuffing is made of browned ground beef, riced cauliflower, sautéed onions and garlic, few tbsp of salsa, cumin, S&P, grated sharp cheddar.

Stuffing.

Crappy iPhone pic of the final product.

Wasn't too much trouble to make. Good taste. I took a lot of the membrane out of the wife's, and she was fine with that. I left a bit more membrane on mine for a little more zip.

T

Jdubbya likes this.
  6. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Refried and crisped up the leftovers and made some diabetic Po Boys (hollowed out the bread, just crust)....

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

7. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I tried two different pizza crusts tonight. One with cauliflower, cheese and egg and one with just cheese and egg. Both were ok. Not sure I'll make either again, but if I do it'll probably be the cheese and egg one. The cauliflower one was too much well..... cauliflower flavor. Imagine that!?! Interestingly I honestly couldn't eat much of either, I took two small slices of each and was done after less than three slices. Just too much cheese I think between the crust and toppings.

I think if I had made the cheese and egg one thinner, it might have been better. Just too much cheese by the time you put toppings and cheese on top like a real pizza.

But, I'll try something like this again one of these days. There are some other recipes out there that use almond flour and some other stuff to make it taste more like crust. And yeah, put both under the broiler to brown up the top and the parchment on the one just about burned up!

Cheese and egg crust and pizza
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cauliflower/cheese/egg crust and pizza

NbyNW, tomc, SCFerrari and 2 others like this.
  8. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    After an Epic Day/Night . . .

Caught a Burlap Bag Full of Lingcod on one & only Deep Sea excursion out of San Simeon. And that was *after* they were fileted.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

9. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Good stuff huh?! I used to go fishing around here as a kid with my uncle, caught mostly little rock cod but would get a Ling Cod once in a great while. Such a good eating fish!

10. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Ended up eating left over Chinese food. Not sure what I'm having tonight, but it will be take out. Close to the house is Five Guy's, Papa John's, Panago (taco pizza place), McDonalds and White Spot (mostly burgers).

11. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Another round of F-chat carnitas. Added a little ancho pepper to the above collection of herbs and spices...T

wax, armedferret and SoCal1 like this.
  12. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
  13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Scrolled up, down, all around . . . All said & done with first go-round, what went right & wrong with this round of Pinquitos?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

14. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Good call!! Hard to go wrong at GW!! If you're there for another evening HIGHLY recommend Commander's Palace (Garden District), Muriel's (Jackson Sq), and Napoleon House.

Headin out there in a couple weeks for 8 days. Can't wait to get back!!

koisokok likes this.
  15. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Thxs Mark ! Done Napolean house already, but will try the other two . Seems I'm here every other week so I need new ideas .

armedferret likes this.
  16. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Bourbon House (on the street thusly named) is also a winner. And of course Brennan's for bruch and nanners foster. ;)

koisokok likes this.
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Not much went wrong IMO. I added some more salt and simmered a couple more hours today while the tri tip was on the smoker.

Great texture on the beans; they didn't turn to mush with all that simmering. I think minor tweaks I would make for the next batch are a tad more bacon - thick cut if I can find it at the store - and perhaps some liquid smoke. All in all, that was a great recipe you posted; thank you!

T

wax, TexasF355F1 and koisokok like this.
  18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    GW Fins was on our list but we never made it. How did you like it? The pics look great...T

19. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    Really good. Nothing wrong with anything we ordered. The dirty rice, a side I ordered had an amazing taste as well . You will love it..

20. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
  21. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Both look great! I made tri-tip today too. Did a garlic and horseradish rub and sous vide over night. Marked it on the grill at Dads. Pretty tasty if I do say so myself.

Attached Files:

NbyNW and tomc like this.
  22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Perfect level of doneness. Ours came out between medium rare and medium. So, good compromise for wife and for me.

T

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Brunch at Brennan's. OMG. An event not to be missed. Wife and I did their brunch some years back. As I recall, we also opted for the wine pairings. I think I rolled out of there close to noon & slept until early evening!
    T

armedferret likes this.
  24. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Left over pizza from lunch..................... Long day, time for a nap or bedtime!

25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hard to go wrong in New Orleans with food. We've been to all of those places. Each great in its own way. If you can, get a seat upstairs at Commander's. Also, I highly recommend the 3-martini lunch. Top tip - take a cab to and from!
    T

armedferret likes this.