812 VS Rumors | Page 197 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Sounds about right as per known facts or probable features. Leaked pic matches prominent hood vents and not standard painted shields :D

2. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Agree 10K rpm sounds optimistic.

3. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    900Nm seems way too high for an unassisted n/a 6.5L engine

Inviato dal mio BAH-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

350MH83 and F140C like this.
  4. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Thanks for sharing, styling looks incredibly aggressive!

Agreed, not likely.

Doug23 likes this.
  5. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  6. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    will make the f12TDF look pedestrian

TP98 and 355TDI like this.
  7. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Great detail and post, I had never realised this venting feature in the SP30. I always thought that this was just a stripe across the hood!
    The rear decklid seems to be a more aggressive rework of the 812 Omologata decklid.

crinoid likes this.
  8. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Cooling function + aerodynamic function;)

JagShergill and of2worlds like this.
  9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Base price lower than the price of a used F12 TdF would be a bargain, and a true reward for the happy few selected by Ferrari. Not sure I believe it will be the case though.

10. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Ready for the boost guys !?:D

Jonathan19 and of2worlds like this.
  11. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Thanks. I really like the SP30.
    I noticed the same about rear deck lid. I’m guessing no window and a camera based on photo.

12. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    How to boost an engine without turbo or hybrid?;):D

of2worlds likes this.
  13. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Active back pressure reduction?

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not likely? It's absolutely 100% impossible. Going by some very basic theory of torque potential means that 900 Nm is WAY above what's possible without assist. At if that was a 10000 rpm engine, that would pretty much result in 1150 bhp N/A.

10000 rpm from a 6.5 litre V12 is in fact not far fetched. There are loads of engines out there that has much higher piston speeds. Valve events are what determines RPM and induction is what limits power. If the air is there and the cam timing is set up for high RPM, then high RPM is what you get.

The challenge is not to make power, but to increase torque. Spin it faster and you make more hp as long as you don't have valve control issues or run out of cylinder head or intake runner volume. When you increase hp on the same basic platform, you do two things. You start by increasing efficiency if possible, thus make a bit more power at the same RPM, but that's usually very tricky. Then you increase valve lift and duration, thus raising RPM. That's what was done to the TDF. Same basic engine, just more aggressive cams basically.

Making 900 Nm N/A from 6.5 litres is so far away from what anyone has ever done. It would basically mean that you reinvented the combustion engine.

Now let's look at that pic again. We were all very adamant that it would not be hybrid, but take a look at those air intakes on the roof. Those are big, that's a lot of air. I'm thinking a ton of cooling. I cannot see any other purpose for those massive intakes.
    That air outlet in the front could be for at least two things. One is to reduce lift on the front, and the other is additional cooling. Remember that the engine compartment in these cars already run with a very hot engine compartment. There's a lot going on there and none of it point in the direction of a car with a mere 30-50 hp.

I'm switching sides again. Back to some kind of N/A with electric assist. That much air inside the car looks like a ton of cooling to me.

gzachary, F140C, dcmetro and 2 others like this.
  15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Could we please make a separate thread for these leaked pictures. Chances are that not all that have a car coming, are interested in having the surprise ruined by a thread full of "spoilers".

456-boy and 355TDI like this.
  16. mthompson2376

mthompson2376 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2017
    North East England
    Full Name:
    Mark Thompson
    Some of us were guessing some form of hybrid over a year ago

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

17. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    Let’s hope not.
    That would ruin our little party over here....

of2worlds likes this.
  18. NeilF8888

NeilF8888 Formula 3

Feb 10, 2005
    Miami Beach
    I am really very excited by this “most aggressive street car Ferrari has ever built” (quote from a Ferrari representative) and can’t wait to see the actual unveiling.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    The rear cooling ducts are a bit confusing to me. They surely can’t be solely for styling? If you’re directly putting air onto the rear brakes or exhaust, there are much better ways than taking feed from the roof, mainly because you don’t need such a high quantity. If you need such high quantity to direct to the rear, what for? The rear of the car is a decent place to put a battery but what sort of battery needs that much cooling? To sacrifice the rear window is quite a thing, I can’t help but think there must be a reason for it. Just can’t think what it might be. This doesn’t look like an SF90-style hybrid. Could maybe be a new boost system using KERS, with some high performance spec that requires the cooling to be excessive? It seems the power will be high, given the 865 figure quoted (who knows if correct) and the front cooling - supposedly a much larger front intake and clearly much more bonnet/hood venting. If 10,000rpm the power jump will be significant and the noise, well, if you need to ask...

A lot of power looks very likely from this leak. How exactly it’s delivered remains very puzzling.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  20. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Considering how good torque filling can improve a naturally aspirated cars response, I honestly don't see much of a downside to a hybrid. Imagine the glorious V12 but without the lack of response while the gearbox "think". You downchange and get on the throttle, but rather than lag while the engine revs up and things fall into place, you get instant response. If it is done right and the car can remain light, then it's just a plus.

mthompson2376 likes this.
  21. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The 812 has ALWAYS been over-styled. A front engine car hardly needs an air intake on the C pillar. I wouldn’t put anything past FCS.

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    My guess is that those intakes leads to battery and motor cooling, which can be air or liquid. It is definitely not for brakes and you don't cool exhaust.

I wondering if the front duct is in fact a concept similar to the S-duct along with cooling.
    If not, it is always good to vent the engine compartment. A lot of resistance and lift is created by the air trapped in there.

of2worlds likes this.
  23. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Something else; there’s no rear hatch. Presumably a small trunk lid per the GTS. The rear treatment promises to be very interesting, regardless of what the styling looks like.

crinoid likes this.
  24. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    My first instinct was “a large s-duct” rather than the SP30 idea. But maybe it is indeed a mix of both. To cool a battery, which should be sited low in the chassis, why would you route from the roof and compromise the rear stowage area when you could take plenty of air from underneath or the sides? To cool the motor, say with liquid, that would be the reverse problem of the 365/512 BB and end up heating the cabin. It does seem to be a very aggressive car, in both styling and engineering terms. If the engineering is good and serves to deliver a really aggressive, good driving car, hybrid or whatever is in that thing won’t matter. It will be exactly what Enzo would have done.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Those intakes are too big for that. That's a lot of drag for no other reason than styling. Not buying it, especially compared to the relatively small B-pillar intakes on the 812.
    From what I recall, those B-pillar intakes on the 812 are for the transaxle cooling. They are fully functional and a pretty clever way to get air into that area of the car without adding too much drag. This means that you can have cleaner air going under the car.
    Pretty elegant and simple solution.

of2worlds likes this.