812 VS Rumors | Page 204 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    JTSE30 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  2. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Or the Pista. I still remember when the first leaked shot came out, most people hated it.

We simply cannot appreciate the design from an official render, let alone a blurred picture that doesn't even show the whole car. Now some of the people that hated the 488 Pista think it's the best looking mid-engined berlinetta Ferrari has ever made (and I actually agree with them, Manzoni did an incredible job in my opinion).

It won't be any different for the 812VS, so let's all wait for the reveal and, even better, the chance to see it in the flesh.

stavura, Caeruleus11, Alvega and 3 others like this.
  3. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    You raise a good point. I distinctly remember the fussy rear shot of the yellow 812 and everyone hated it saying it looked like the back of a car eating another car. Except they are still right in that case. :)

350MH83 and crinoid like this.
  4. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I don't remember that tdf episode but I admit that when I first saw the Uterus shaped rear of the F12 I hated it, now I find nothing wrong with it.

350MH83 likes this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Imagine the effects of an exhaust leak.:D

Caeruleus11 and crinoid like this.
  6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Some may be willing to pay extra for those effects. I hear it’s available on the Tailor Made program.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  7. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    :) :) instatwit!! :) :). :)

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  8. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Actually why don't they bring him back or any other design house for that matter??
    Time is a cruel mistress, sometimes its better to stay retired.

ryalex likes this.
  9. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I don’t think it is ever smart for a company like Ferrari to go back in its thinking. True they have changed into and out of Pininfarina before. Ferrari’s most revered design was not done by them though, it was by scaglietti, the coach builder, or body work guy in today’s language. Function over form, and it became beautiful. Function over form has an honesty that form over function does not. The latter is simply marketing, the kind of thing that Ferrari’s detractors and those bemoaning RACE also criticise. Yet many people here would vote for a smaller, less powerful, less technically advanced but more ‘beautiful’ VS. When has that ever been Ferrari? It’s a bit surprising that so many of today’s customers think the brand is about something it’s not. Enzo’s last car, the F40 is a case in point. It has a big wing!! The 288 GTO, its predecessor, was far more classically beautiful but Enzo was having none of that. He wanted to be the first over 200mph with a hardcore, powerful, lightweight Ferrari made to go well on the track. Now it’s beautiful, but I remember when it was launched. Nobody was really talking about its beauty, they were talking about its extremeness. And its speed. And did I mention it had a wing?!!

I personally think it’s a case of Henry Ford’s customers and faster horses. That has never been the true Ferrari way and it’s not why I love the brand.

Manzoni can do classically, stunningly, beautiful - we know that from the Monza. If the VS is not that, we should ask why rather than simply jump to early criticism. If this is the last, great V12 (and it may not be, I certainly don’t know that to be true) what a travesty for this car to be remembered as form over function. But a function over form design, in the great tradition of the best-loved Ferraris, that we have a chance to come to love like the 250 GTO or the F40, that has to have any Ferraristi salivating. I for one am very eager to learn what in the world they have done with this car that warrants such extreme styling. It’s driving me crazy - in a good way! But a beautiful form with a slight bump in bhp? Much less interested in that, even though that, too would still have me glad to be on the list. But in the words of those Hollywood philosophers Lloyd and Harry; “not as”!

10. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    And this picture is from Instagram... a real shame for ferrarichat with all the “experts“.:D

ferrarifanatic25 and Napoli like this.
  11. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    ....I’m thinking Fchat’s ‘experts’ have got more sense than the ones on Instagram....:)

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    of2worlds, 456-boy and 9nb like this.
  13. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    And, this serves what purpose?

cesman likes this.
  14. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  15. ohno

ohno Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2009
    ... but in the end they all discuss the picture from instagram, haha!:cool:

16. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Ruining the car with a Giant Sway Bar... that thing will completely break the lines.

italiafan and Napoli like this.
  17. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Really? There is not another way to approach this? It should be under the hood, if anything, no?

18. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I was sarcastic. For real that thing is supposed to have some aerodynamic purpose. It probably has some advantages but minor when compared to the aesthetic disgrace

19. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    OK, then, so do you know what purpose it serves? "Cutting edge" aesthetic? Aero?

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  20. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Probably a combination of aerodynamics, and a way to distinguish the VS from the regular 812, make it look more wild to justify the cost and make the VS clients feel "special"

JTSE30 and Napoli like this.
  21. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    The 488VS is faster, more expensive and better looking than the 488 GTB. The same will happen with this 812VS (GTO, Le Mans?) if compared to the 812 Superfast.

LE MANS is my favourite name, but sincerely I have no idea about the real name.

Ciao

22. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #5097 Napoli, Mar 5, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    If it works for aerodynamics/downforce, I'm afraid it will have the same unintended effect that the body openings behind the front wheels of my 812 have, which is a suction/throughway effect that pelts the sides of the car with dust/dirt particles and grit and pebbles small enough to blow through the duct screen (going all the way up to the rear side air intake (where they often taken residence). Now, having that kind of aero throughway over the hood gives me reason to think that the windshield will suffer the same - only with more direct hits. Or, maybe Ferrari has tackled this issue.

Albert-LP likes this.
  23. Garretto

Garretto F1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2003
    Bilbao, Spain
    Full Name:
    Rodolfo Di Pietro
    Again, just venting, only in a peculiar fashion. Anyway, be sure Ferrari will brag it also has an important aerodynamic gain, downforce, etc.

Napoli likes this.
  24. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    venting what? there is the trunk down there! Maybe something like the Gurney flap of the SF90 or the Lamborghini ALA system.

ciao

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  25. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Having lived a couple of years in London, this made me laugh so hard. :D