812 VS Rumors | Page 208 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Similar but T50 is sucking the air out from the underside of the car just at initial ramp of the diffuser (IIRC) so allowing a very aggressive diffuser ramp that results in a lower pressure along the underside of the car, ahead of the diffuser.

Here, the effect is different—being on the roof of the car—so really cleaning up the airflow to the back. But maybe if the are blowers these could also be drawing air out from the underbody.

of2worlds and Caeruleus11 like this.
  2. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    Agreed - It could really be a software controlled solution similar to Lamborghini's ALA on the Performante combined with electric fans like the T50. This would mean no Hybrid but a very clever airflow/downforce solution F1 inspired ?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Right. Not familiar with the ALA, but LaF, for example, is hybrid and doesn’t have any extreme cooling scheme so expect those inlets to be aero-related.

Also, the LaF and SF90 were designed with a hybrid system in mind so I doubt it is easy to repurpose a non-hybrid platform—at the end of its lifecycle—into a hybrid, especially for such a small run of cars. Unless it’s KERS-based with not a humongous battery.

4. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    #5179 ScrappyB, Mar 6, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Triangulating the info in this thread, my prediction is that it will be called the 865 Daytona and use a super capacitor system similar to the Sian’s.

Garretto, [gTr], red passion and 3 others like this.
  5. ewright

ewright Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    This guy gets it.

Caeruleus11 and JTSE30 like this.
  6. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    I do not believe they are 'flush'

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    Perfectly said !

Bundy, Caeruleus11 and dcmetro like this.
  8. day355

day355 Formula 3

Jun 25, 2006
    The soul of a Ferrari is its "engine " and the emotions it brings.
    The design of course, but it can be subject to everyone's appreciation.
    TT and hybridization exist only to satisfy regulations, it is not progress in the literal sense of the term.
    To forget it is to buy only the badge.
    We can turn the question 1000 times in all directions, but it remains a fact and a truth, in accordance with its history and the one who created it.

9. ferr9000

ferr9000 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2013
    Full Name:
    SFF
    Carbon fiber wheels are an option, code RMCF.

stavura, Doug23, TSOYBELIS and 7 others like this.
  10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    True. In that picture you’d imagine the edges of the openings are raised. But in the leaked picture of the blue car the louvres look to be flush. In either case I would say the scoops are not doing much “scooping”.

11. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I have heard it said CF wheels are dangerous because when they fail (like if you slam into a pothole) they shatter whereas an alloy wheel would deform. Not sure if that is true.

ryalex likes this.
  12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Speaking of raised the Zagato roof trademark look was the "double bubble" over driver and passenger. Ferrari with the VS roof treatment has instead depressed the roof to form a channel. Are they forgetting about tall drivers wearing helmets? :)

13. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I think the answer is no, but I wonder if the CF wheels can be painted instead of being raw CF... I love their technical benefits but have never been a fan of their look (On the pista)

I also hope the car will be available on the online configurator. I was pretty much upset against ferrari when they didn't put the tdf on the configurator... let the people play a little !

Nicolas21 and manya81 like this.
  14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Any predictions if this car will have a shorter wheelbase and perhaps no rear wheel steering ?

Hard to tell from the "leaked" laptop picture

15. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Haha yeah. Goals makes me work hard. Only ~50% of the way there. Lol.

16. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Sounds good to me.

Caeruleus11, jpalmito and dcmetro like this.
  17. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
  18. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
  19. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    The more I look at this photo, the more I wonder if the leak was staged. There is just enough detail to stir up discussion and emotions, but so many critical details are left to the imagination. Seems improbable imvho unless Ferrari isn’t showing the entire car to top tier customers.

20. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I think the black which we barely glimpse at the rear of the stripe may actually be the start of a smaller rear window with the Small air intakes on either side which I agree are for airflow management- whether to feed a better rear virtual air wing or some trunk mounted hybrid type system is beyond definition at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

of2worlds and Marcel Massini like this.
  21. Maximus1977

Maximus1977 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2016
    Progress is indeed great, unless halted by obnoxious and somehow pointless laws....
    But enough of the ranting, it does seem like we are al getting what we want!

22. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Fully agree with this. It seems to be 865hp is the number and if they didn’t use KERS that is quite a number to get from 6.5 litres. The extra rpm would do it but it’s quite a thing to do that reliably. I’m wondering also about extra capacity?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  23. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Doesn’t everyone? But it will be a long time before all that can be done while still complying with emissions, potentially zero emissions, pedestrian safety, interior projections, crashworthiness, REACH and end-of-life among the many other things. It sounds simple but just isn’t. They could well get there, but it needs new materials and new tech. They get those by continuing to move forward and invent, with people continuing to buy their products so that they have the funds to invent the solutions they will need. They are racers. They do know about lightness, performance, handling, sound. You have to assume they desperately want to build cars that people dream about, and for many years to come.

24. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    I think every Ferrari fan feels the same. Anyone who knows anything about Enzo’s philosophy knows that the engine was the thing he revered most. Even he had to build cars to restrictions and regulations though. You just can’t help it. Many regulations are actually good and have forced manufacturers to build better cars. Some are not so good. This ‘eternal’ discussion is not about whether the regulations are ‘progress’, as far as Ferrari are concerned, that discussion is pretty pointless. They have to abide and that’s it.

So to buy a hybrid are you only buying the badge? I don’t think so. Their current F1 car is a V6 hybrid. It might be pretty poor but is that just a badge too?

What is Ferrari? When you think past all the folklore, the answer is not the engine. If the combustion engine were outlawed for racing during Enzo’s time would he have stopped? I don’t think so. He was a racer. That means coming first was what mattered. Taking a set of rules that applied to everyone, finding the best way to ‘interpret’ them, then building a car to beat them all. We know that to be true because he also believed the engine should be in the front. Until the mid engined cars kept beating him. So guess what, he changed! In his day combustion engines were used, and Italian engineers made some of the best. They were, and still are, considered masterpieces. We all love them. All of us. But if we ever reach a point when they are not allowed, or not allowed unless they are zero emissions, then if Ferrari build a car that can excite me as I drive it, I will still be a customer. Maybe they can’t. But I will say one thing, they definitely can’t unless they go on the journey they are presently on.

I don’t mind expressing views considered unpopular. My wife owns a Taycan Turbo S. I wondered what it would be like, which is why I urged her to buy it. She doesn’t need it for long journeys but I can say that as a driver’s car, it is far and away better than the Panamera e-hybrid she had before. If I ignore the fact that EVs are seen as ‘the enemy’ of the enthusiast, I love it. It is sporty to drive, has massive low-down torque with obviously no turbo lag, response of the best n/a engine and that torque, it handles well, is beautifully built, looks fabulous and, dare I say it, it has personality.

If Ferrari had to go only EV does the brand lose something? Of course. At the same time as buying the Taycan I bought a 992 as a daily driver. I love it, it has personality, history, all the things we love about Ferraris. One day that car will have to have zero emissions. How they will achieve it is hard to know. They have until about 2035 to work it out though. Without this journey we are on, we lose the Porsche 911, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren and so many other iconic vehicles. That is unthinkable to me. If EV proved to be the only answer (which it won’t) and we concluded all EVs are not good enough so it doesn’t matter what you buy, I will not be buying a Toyota or a Tesla. I refuse. So Porsche and Ferrari better get this together and build something decent. And they will.

My garage, as almost everyone here, will include some ‘greatest hits’ combustion cars and I’ll turn a deaf ear to people in the street who frown at me, or worse, when I drive them. But so long as there are brilliant new power vehicles around, they will sit alongside the ‘old timers’ very nicely. With their 5’ 50” Nurburgring time and all.