812 GTS too quiet / Novitec exhaust in stock anywhere? | FerrariChat

812 GTS too quiet / Novitec exhaust in stock anywhere?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by BMan14, Mar 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    I’ve pinned my exhaust open on my 812 GTS but it’s still soooo quiet. Wow. Can’t understand why they would do this to us. Anyway, I guess Novitec is the way to go and I’m wondering if anyone is aware of a full Novitec system in stock / for sale anywhere. Any leads or advice is appreciated.

2. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Apparently exhaust gets louder after use? That being said back boxes/x-pipe won't really increase volume, you'd want sport cats for that (with novitec module to prevent CEL). My dealer said that might be grounds by Ferrari to deny a warranty claim though, but I didn't really push them on it since my delivery is pretty far out at the moment.

Gh21631 likes this.
  3. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    “Search” is your friend :D

F2003-GA likes this.
  4. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    X-pipe is minimal increase in sound. The best gain for sound and power is 200 cell sport cats, with Capristo valve controller. It will sound excellent and not obnoxious with that set up. As far as CEL goes, if you install "mini cats" which also extends the bung, you might avoid the light. It worked on my F12, otherwise Capristo makes a unit for $1400 that plugs into your OBD to fool it.

To each his own, but Novitec is overpriced. You would be paying double for the name. I have had good luck with Kline but right now they are backed a bit. Other than them, IPE makes 200 cell downpipes for the 812

SECRET likes this.
  5. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    Did you read my post? I did search and I’m asking about something specific that isn’t in the search results.

JesseRohr likes this.
  6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    KarlA has a thread about removing his GPF and putting in a different set of cats.

Lagunae92 likes this.
  7. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    I read it. The only thing I was asking in my original post was if anyone knew of any Novitec systems in stock. Everyone is pushing me back towards searching but they are not reading my post. LOL!!

JesseRohr likes this.
  8. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I am surprised that you think the car is too quiet, so many other owners have said it sounds great. I have a 2020 812 without GPF and I think it's pretty much the loudest car I have owned and that includes my 991tts that I decatted and put kline headers on. That thing was loud but has only half the cylinders and 60% of the displacement.

leopoldo likes this.
  9. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    It’s so quiet that a few friends had mentioned to me they cannot hear the car at all even when driving right next to me. It’s basically whisper quiet once it warms up.

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    If you drive in RACE mode the valves open at 2500 rpm. If you drive in RACE and use manual shift you can keep the car over 2500 most of the time. I know that if I don't do that, even my car isn't that loud. I think Ferrari has done this to make it more amenable to noise reduction requirements in Europe.

11. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    Yep, I’ve done every variation possible and it doesn’t make enough of a difference to be noticeable.

12. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Well OK, I believe you and I guess that pretty much sucks. What good is a V-12 if it can't sound like one? I think what would have been the better move is for Ferrari to have offered a T-top option on the 812 like they did on the Corvettes in the 70s where there are removable roof sections.

13. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    luckily it’s an easy fix...Novitec!

14. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    That's on top of the extra cost of the car over the coupe and then it renders the car possibly out of warranty if you remove the GPF. It certainly will render it not in compliance with European emission standards but here in the US it probably doesn't matter but it's still an expensive solution for something that Ferrari could easily remediate for US customers.

15. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    Fair enough. Just doesn’t bother me. Happy camper.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  16. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Bothers me. I don't see myself buying a GPF equipped Ferrari which means this may be my last F car.

JTSE30 likes this.
  17. JesseRohr

JesseRohr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2020
    Birmingham AL
    Full Name:
    Jesse Rohr
    Unfortunately everything is moving towards GPF equipped vehicles due to increasing regulation both in the US and abroad.

DPF engine equipped diesel vehicles paved the way for this starting back in 2007 which impacted my primary business immensely.

My recent 812SF purchase is starting to look better and better.

MotorMouth likes this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think that means it will be your last new car in general very soon. GPF is here to stay and it will be everywhere soon.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Marcel Massini likes this.
  19. JesseRohr

JesseRohr Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 27, 2020
    Birmingham AL
    Full Name:
    Jesse Rohr
    While I tend to agree at least the situation can be remedied like the OP is doing with aftermarket parts. I'm actually in that business myself and the short term upside by the regulation on gas vehicles has been excellent for top line growth.

I'm glad that at least, currently, the GPF setups are exponentially less invasive than the DPF seen on modern diesels.

wrs likes this.
  20. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I said GPF equipped Ferrari, I don't object to it on my RR for example. It's not supposed to sound real strong. Doesn't bother me there so it will be an issue with a performance car or exotic.

21. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    Ended up ordering a full Novitec system (down pipes with sport cats, x pipe, back boxes with valves and remote control)...should arrive in 6-8 weeks. Until then I’m enjoying the subdued V12 soundtrack !

22. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    Why post something like this? Just to be rude and sarcastic? I am being serious and hoping to inform future owners of a particular situation that may help some of them. I have great hearing and have owned many vehicles of this caliber and know what I’m talking about. When you post something like this it just seems like you don’t like that I think my car is quiet. Not sure why you need to make this “point.”

Moderators feel free to lock this thread so others can see but not troll.

nmcclure likes this.
  23. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    tbh it was a joke ... I also completely disagree with your assessment

24. BMan14

BMan14 Karting

Dec 31, 2013
    I’ve ordered a highly rated decibel meter and will take some readings and compare to other well known vehicles. Stay tuned!

Avia11 likes this.