Titanium bolts | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Titanium bolts

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Terrence, Jun 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    There's a really important reason why I run them, and it has nothing to do with weight or looks. They stay tight on the track, it's that simple.

Also, the Hill bolts here in Europe is a third of a Braille lithium battery. But it's irrelevant as it has to do with safety, nothing else.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I will forward your question to the Ferrari parts director who also chooses to continue the tradition of using Fiamm batteries.

RayJohns likes this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    While you're at it, please ask why they insist on using 20 year old brake disc and pad technology...

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

LVP488 and GT2goneF like this.
  4. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    The titanium bolts may provide a weight saving, but the key problem for most of us with the standard item is not weight but finish.
    Are there any steel bolts out there which are the correct size and strength in a non chrome finish ?

5. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have a set of the OEM Ferrari 2 pc Ti bolts, in the box. PM me if interested....

6. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Agree, the chrome bolts Ferrari still use are just embarrassing, they look like they came off of a mini van (maybe good for the PS). I use both Ferrari and Novitec when I have spacers.

7. Mrpseudonym

Mrpseudonym Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    All the conversation about Titanium bolts revolves around weight or looks. I was chatting to my dealer this week after getting Cup2s on my spare set of wheels and he was suggesting that the Ti bolts are kind of essential if you are changing wheels often as they cause less damage to the thread in the hub. Ti is softer than stainless (which is what I am assuming the standard bolts are made of) so I guess it makes sense. Anyone with more metallurgical skill than me care to weigh in?

8. Mrpseudonym

Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    …and a followup .. my emails to wisdomtitanium have gone unanswered.. has anyone interacted with them recently?

9. payneless

payneless Karting

Oct 23, 2013
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Tried contacting wisdom multiple times never a response. Bought set of factory 2piece bolts for my 458.

Rexcat458 and Mrpseudonym like this.
  10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Not recently, but a few months ago they responded and said they no longer make the two-piece version. They probably got tired of saying no, so stopped responding. You’d think that the number of inquiries would motivate them to resume production, but only they know whether the number was just enough to be annoying but not enough to justify resources needed to resume production.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

Mrpseudonym likes this.
  11. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    I bought the one piece version from wisdom months ago. They didn’t have a two piece version.

I don’t regret. Wheels have come off about 4 times. Dealer has not said a thing and not said a thing as I think they think they are oem.

They work fine so far and I think no one would ever notice the 2 piece vs 1 piece nature of them.

Mrpseudonym likes this.
  12. Mrpseudonym

Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks. I’ll stop trying to give them my money.

Next stop Acer racing I guess

13. DiamondDog

DiamondDog Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2021
    Orange County, CA
    Reread my post. Wheels didn’t just “come off” for times

I meant to say that the car has been serviced about 4 times where the dealer or service person took the wheels of and put them back on (intentionally)

14. Mrpseudonym

Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    @DiamondDog Yes I got that. I was responding to @Need4Spd ’s comment that wisdom no longer make them…

15. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I bought mine from Acer about a year ago. Very happy with them on my 430.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Mrpseudonym likes this.
  16. Mrpseudonym

Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Update. Wisdom titanium got back to me. They respond on FB messenger. They no longer make the two piece bolts, but do still manufacture the one piece.

17. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Any thoughts on Acer? They seem like a popular go to now. They offer longer bolts for spacers too

18. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Does Acer produce Titanium? Lots of these kinda places are just like Napa Auto, but for exotic car parts. They don't make actually anything; they just mark it up and move it out the door.

With any sort of bolt / hardware (especially Titanium), it's best if you can find out what method is used for production and who specifically is doing the forging. If that's not possible, basically you just have to purchase the hardware and inspect the thread quality under a magnifying glass. Usually good quality Titanium will have forged/rolled threads and those are generally very nice. Where you get into issues is when you have Titanium threads cut with a die or something (CNC lathe, etc.) and then sometimes you can run into galling issues. Also, use a micrometer to measure major thread diameter; sometimes tolerances on nuts, bolts can be technically within min/max specs, but still too small or big for a good thread engagement.

Ray

Need4Spd likes this.
  19. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  20. Mrpseudonym

Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    I ended up with two piece bolts from exotic car gear. Local ferrari dealer also recommended using Molykote D321R coating on the titanium threads each time you swap wheels over.

21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    That’s surprising. Lug bolt torque spec for steel lug bolts is a dry one. Does Ferrari spec a lubed torque for titanium bolts? Typically you risk damaging bolts by lubing them and using a dry torque spec.

Solid State likes this.
  22. Mrpseudonym

Silver Subscribed

Nov 7, 2020
    Sydney, Australia
    Torque setting is only 110Nm from memory which is pretty low anyway for wheels

23. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    No

24. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Based on the photos, the quality looks pretty good. Rolled threads and hot forged heads is usually what you want. Rolling the threads generally improves strength a bit due to the forging process.

Ray

Auraraptor likes this.
  25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Indeed. Big mistake putting lube on wheel lugs. Not a place where you have to guess the correct torque which would be at least 20% less. Remember when the 488's were losing a rear wheel? Titanium is also soft, much less strong in that application, and a dissimilar metal.

Need4Spd likes this.