458 or 488 | Page 19 | FerrariChat

458 or 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ttforcefed, Jul 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

458 or 488

1. 458

376 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. 488

168 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Slightly off topic here...I had the opp to rev the TDF next to the GTO today. Very wide margin between the two in terms of loudness and quality, to the TDF.
    I am led to believe the 812SV will be loud as well (GPF aside).

2. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I've said this many times and I'll say it many times more. There is no logic or reason behind us buying supercars. It all comes down to how they make you feel.

For some, the 458 makes them feel great. For others, it's the 488. Each have their own pros and cons but when it comes down to it it's like arguing over which pizza topping is the best. There's no right answer.

Enjoy your cars and relax :p

AD211, italiafan, john Owen and 2 others like this.
  3. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Great post and Amen.

4. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    I personally think that the 458 being slower on a track than a 488 doesn't bother anyone or affect values/desirability in any way

they are mostly used as road cars and imo being faster on track doesn't always equate to more fun anyway

xfrgtr likes this.
  5. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    Say you was about to join a freeway, it’s free and clear and let’s say for arguments, there is no speed limit, and you wanted to show your passenger what a Ferrari is all about.... how much difference is the 488 vs the 458?

That’s what I’m concerned about when testing both in April. Real world speed. Not track speed.

6. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    As far as acceleration, the 458 is 8.5 out of 10 and the 488 is maybe 9 out of 10.

Sound wise the 458 is 9 out of 10 and the 488 is maybe 6 +/-

Shift feeling though the gears the 458 DCT is really unmatched. You lose some of that sharpness in the 488, I am guessing due to the blow-off valve.

Overall "Ferrari" experience, both are very good, but the purists will say the 458 is 10 for 10 while the 488 is more like 8 for 10.

Just my personal 2 cents.

Ray

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    IMO...when you “want to show your passenger what a Ferrari is all about...” is exactly when things go wrong. Bad decisions don’t always lead to funny stories.

8. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    You know what I mean.
    I’ve shown my mates what an m4 and C63s is all about many many times with no issues whatsoever

9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    For those who equate higher noise with more fun, there is no contest, the 458 wins over the 488.
    I have other criterias, and ability of a performance car on a track is one of them: I prefer to drive than to hear a car screaming, I know that denies me the title of purist but I'm only mildly concerned about that :p

10. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis

It’s all about what YOU like. Nothing more :)

11. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    You were being too kind! ;)
    More like 3/10 for the Pista/488/F8 audio.

12. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia

May be. But when he talked about acceleration, he gave 458 8.5, while if 488 9/10, then 458 6/10

13. regy53

regy53 Rookie

May 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ross C
    There comes a point where power and speed is pointless anyway. I have just taken delivery of my old car that I sold in July last year. Couldn't live without it. 458 Italia. For the money I could have bought a 488 for a bit more and while when i looked at the 488 at the dealers I just cant get away from what I enjoy the most which is the whole experience. This is built up of noise, nolstagia, looks, market understanding and experience to drive. I took my 458 down the local lane and I cant see why you want to go much faster unless you are a track monster. Yes there are some dated things on the 458 but we dont drive these cars to be the latest Mercedes or audis with all these digital dash, high end audio, mood lighting. We drive them because ultimately we are petrol heads. If you are not and just want the "looks" then go 488 and take the later generation spec

If the 458 had the same engine as the 488 then there would be nothing to say, but its the last N/A v8 mid engine Ferrari will produce. The noise and gearchange is just unreal, it screams "ferrari" at you and it will never be replicated again with natural noise. It isn't the fastest thing out there anymore but it doesn't matter.

The residuals are spot on and there is going to be a squash down of cars into the price point the 458 is at, the 488 will drop lower because the F8 will drive this, as will all the other models. They are all turbos. They are all the same in that "sense"

I think the 458 is one of the last "pure" car's they will produce. A era poster car

14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    This i agree, and a Tesla is 13/10

15. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    There is something I will never understand about the 458 love, and one is, if power and speed are pointless, why not go for an older and purer car? the 458 has the DCT and lots of electronics, which are good for performance... but if performance is not what is important, what's the point? a manual 355 or 360 Modena would be far more pure IMHO, and they are not that slow either in the world of legally constrained roads.
    And if performance is important, the 458 is just slow and outdated.
    My understanding capabilities are limited by my narrow mind, compared to the true and superior Ferrari enthusiasts, I know ;)

MANDALAY and SVR like this.
  16. regy53

regy53 Rookie

May 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ross C
    Possible for me personally because it was the last of the line, there are purer cars for sure but looks are subjective and I find the older Ferraris dont quite tick my boxes. So you capture the best of "my world" modern enough, nice enough without needing the latest tech and a hoot to drive and own.

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    For some, the 458 is sweet spot of sound, fast enough (of course), tech, and reliability. All combined better than 355/360/430 and the turbos. Agian, all combined.
    I wish the 488+ had stayed NA as the tech, rigidity, features started to really improve. The F8 shape and quality with NA would have been awesome, let Mc and Porsche own soundless.

FourFiveGreat likes this.
  18. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    And to LVP488 - it’s not that performance is pointless, it’s that it just may not be the priority for the 458 crowd that it is for the 488ers. This is what I hear in some of these posts and it is true for me as well.

I love what pinninfarina did with this design. It is stunning to look at for my eyes. The sound and revs get my heart going. And 562 hp is plenty for me.

It’s a visceral and emotional decision, and it’s fun to analyze it and debate it.

Blonds vs brunettes I say. Who am I to tell you who to love and why. We all love our ladies!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ferrari360FW, regy53 and xfrgtr like this.
  19. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Definitely the 458. Due to the sound and visceral experience, a passenger will have a higher sensation of speed in a 458 than 488, even though the 488 is faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Yeah but how’s the sound ? :)

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Same as 488....Pointless.

Cigarzman likes this.
  22. czlandi

czlandi Karting

Jun 20, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I’ve owned both a 458 and a 488. I sum up:
    Looks 458, Real world fun 458, civilized 488, sound 458, everyday car 488. So it depends what you want.
    Sold both to get my 812 Superfast. Puts a smile on my face and scares me sh..less every time I get in it. And the soundtrack is hard to beat. It will be my last F car and stay with me as long as I’m allowed to drive it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

xfrgtr, Pomppe and Wikdstrate like this.
  23. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I mean 458/355/360cs are the best sounding v8 ever. Not to be narrow minded but any other opinion are just wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikael-F360, italiafan and dustman like this.
  24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

The 488 GTB will wave goodbye to the 458

SVR and LVP488 like this.
  25. SVR

SVR Karting

Feb 9, 2017
    Moscow, Russia
    488 vs 458
    It’s like m4 f82 vs m3 e92
    2 good fast cars, fast enough to scary young girl, or parents, but...
    1 is much faster.