C8 CORVETTE | Page 52 | FerrariChat

C8 CORVETTE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by BJK, Jan 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Dragster likes this.
  2. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Drifting will have to be kept to a minimum until supply catches up. :p

of2worlds likes this.
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Someone found one and it was like $850 each

4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

We were in Vero Beach FL from mid Dec thru the end of Feb. I saw many and almost every color. The most shocking thing was the number being driven by older women, I'm 63 in a few days and they were all older than me. But there are tons of corvettes of every year in Fl, white seems to be the dominant color.

Oh well, I joined the flock with a 2013 427 convertible for FL, but just last Thursday I was able to get my Boxer and 308QV out of winter storage in NY and what a different expierience it was. No where near the power, but just a more engaging feel to the drive. They all have pros and cons, which is why I have enjoyed having older sports cars (65 Jag XKE OTS, 69 TVR Vixen) and somewhat more modern. Variety is the spice of life. Wish I could have kept them all.

5. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Lots of Cougars on the prowl during High Season! :eek:

TheMayor and jm2 like this.
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Ex-New Yorkers enjoying the good life once again. :)

dwhite and of2worlds like this.
  7. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    To any C8 owner out there: I need a small favor.

What I need are some pictures of the underside (trunk side) of he engine cover/rear deck area. Specifically the area to the rear of the glass itself. Nothing special-just some good photos showing what that inner surface looks like. You can post them here or send them to me via a "conversation".

i am looking at doing a rear wing for the car and mounting it on the rear deck as the space on the rear fascia, to the rear of the engine cover (where current C8 "Spoiler" is located) is very limited to accept wing mounts and the structure on the C8 in this area is really not designed to handle large aero loads. There is no underlying structure in that area.

I would be looking at making a carbon fiber panel/hat section/structure that would bond to the inside of the deck lid. The CAD I have of this area makes it look possible but I need to see what, if any carpet/trim is in this area, etc.

[​IMG]

of2worlds likes this.
  8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Convertible don't have this at all. They have a trunk lid.

9. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    I didn't say "convertibles"-now did I? What I show is the CAD to the hard top.Not that it really matters.

The convertible trunk lid is merely the area I happen to show in blue. Corvette uses the same inner panels and outer panels from convertible to hardtop, they are just trimmed differently. (So yes-different part numbers but same shape/design)

But both cars have the same trunk area. And as can be seen in my CAD there is a purple outline of the rubber seal for the trunk. This is the same part convertible to hardtop.

So whether hardtop or convertible is irrelevant to my question or my need for pics.

And CAD is from Corvette directly. So no chance it is wrong. And they agree with my approach to doing a rear wing mount. I just need to confirm the presence or absence of trim/carpet etc in this area. I figured I could get a quick answer from people on this web site. Contact Corvette is an option but response time is very slow. And could go to dealer but again, assumed I would get a quick answer here.

Seems I was wrong on that.

When it comes to cars/design/engineering I am rarely wrong-It is my job and I do my homework to make sure of that-Why I have asked for photos. Trust but verify.

I have a pic or two that shows what I want-but are not great shots.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    #1285 LMPDesigner, Mar 15, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    Now that I look at the convertible trunk lid inner it appears Corvette has added some inner cross members. Guess they realized the basic design was weak--as I mentioned to them a year ago!

In any case it looks like there is no carpeting/etc on either type car. So a nice cosmetically nice looking carbon reinforcement in this area would only add to the looks of the trunk area and give me the necessary structure stiffness to carry a proper rear wing. One that makes some real downforce.

The Corvette "hi wing" package is nice looking but by their own numbers is not making a lot of downforce-probably due to the limited structure that the wing bolts to. There are two inner and two outer mount pads for the C8 spoiler/wing. The inner ones are one 1/4" bolt fixing and the outer are two 1/4" bolt fixings. And all the mounts are to SMC panels. There is no real structure under the rear fascia to take any real aero loads. Victor Racing has done a rear wing that mount son the deck. Seems they did there homework on the loading issue on the stock spoiler mounts.
    And the C7 Creations rear wing, which uses the existing stock C8 mount points only generates about 80-90 lbs downforce at 100 mph.
    I am looking at a wing that will create 400-500 lbs downforce at 100mph.

VAF84, boxerman and of2worlds like this.
  11. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    of2worlds likes this.
  12. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    And for Corvette C8 owners.

The car is a fantastic product, this coming from a guy who has some idea about what he is talking about here.

From an engineering/packaging point of view the car is a superior product to just about any Ferrari out there. Far more sophisticated design solutions than on a average Ferrari/Lambo.

And to do it for ~ 100K!

Too bad they missed a bit on styling, GM still can't do an interior properly. (But Ferrari has it's share of design failures also!)

VAF84, k wright and DIGMAN52 like this.
  13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Why are you not on a more dedicated technical C8 forum like https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-corvette-174/ ? o_O :rolleyes:

14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Home Car Culture Bookshelf: The making of the mid-engine C8 Corvette
    Car Culture
    Bookshelf: The making of the mid-engine C8 Corvette

Corvette community will cherish this book, even if it doesn’t have an author

ByLarry Edsall
    -

March 3, 2021
    Early development of the mid-engine Corvette C8 was done with a vehicle disguised to resemble a modified Holden Ute from Australia | Motorbooks photos
    There are several things I really liked about Corvette Stingray: The Mid-Engine Revolution, which the accompanying news release notes is “the officially licensed” chronicle of the “full development story behind Chevrolet’s re-imagined sports car,” the new mid-engine C8:

Book cover
    • The opening chapter on the earliest Corvette-inspired rear-engine racing-style cars, the Chevrolet Engineering Reserach Vehicles, with vintage photographs and even design sketches by Larry Shinoda, and how, had folks listened to Zora Arkus-Duntov, CERV I might have been the rear-engine car to race at Indianapolis and how CERV II might have been at Le Mans for what would have been Ford v Chevy v Ferrari.
    • The ensuing and again, nicely illustrated chapter, about Arkus-Duntov, the racer and engineer who saw the performance potential in the underpowered fiberglass-bodied roadster General Motors had produced and pushed so hard against corporate momentum to move the Corvette in that direction.
    • “One reason it took some 60 years to make a production mid-engine Corvette was that such a car had to be first and foremost a Corvette,” we’re informed… “It has to remain attainable, something not completely out of reach — even if it’s a big reach — for an ordinary buyer… an eternal Corvette hallmark is its performance-to-value proposition.”
    And thus the car was introduced at around $60,000, not the $160,000 or more asked for comparable mid-engine sports machines.

• The delightful chapter on “Blackjack,” the engineering development vehicle used for two years to disguise work on the mid-engine Corvette in what appeared to be a modified Holden Ute, the El Camino-like car-based pickup truck from GM’s Australian affiliate.
    • Performance-car exterior design leader Tom Peters’ statement to his team to design this new Corvette not for current owners “for a 10-year-old kid.”
    Why? “Everybody remembers when they saw their very first corvette. It needs to just captivate you, like a spaceship that landed. I want it to stay with you or your whole life.”

• The brief story of how a Hershey candy bar was part of the C8 development process.
    It is such details that will make the book cherished by C8 buyers and Corvette enthusiasts of all 8 generations. But there were aspects of the book I found lacking, including precious little detail on engineering development drives and component specifics, or vehicle specs, or photos of a car working its way along the Bowling Green assembly line, or what it’s like to drive the C8.

And, for that matter, an author. Amazon’s page for the book says “Chevrolet” was the author, which would indicate the book is part of the company’s public relations effort to promote the car.

Full disclosure: I wrote a similar book for Motorbooks on the development of the C7 Corvette, but was among several authors who declined to do the C8 book because the car’s development was too far along at the time I was asked, and such books are best when the author is allowed inside the tent early on.

Fortunately, the book doesn’t read like a PR release and, as I noted earlier, will be cherished by C8 owners and fans of all generations of the Corvette as well.

Reviewed

Corvette Stingray: The Mid-Engine Revolution

By Chevrolet

Motorbooks, 2020

ISBN 9780760367438

Hardcover, 208 pages

$45

thecarreaper and of2worlds like this.
  15. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  17. slm

slm F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 5, 2004
    Near Lambeau field
    Full Name:
    Steve M
    of2worlds and energy88 like this.
  18. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Now he/she can pick a diffent color. Saw that color in Florida, looks even worse in person. For me that color does not work on the C8.

Why are they falling off? Looks like the rear pads slipped outward.

19. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yah I don't like the Smurf Blue but it seems like a lot of younger buyers select it, which is probably why GM chose it.

I'm not a big fan of the C8 yellow either. Looks like green to me, like a highlighter pen. But again younger people seem to think its cool.

dwhite and of2worlds like this.
  20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
  21. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    BJK likes this.
  22. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    of2worlds and vincent355 like this.
  23. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    When I saw the credit card part I quit looking. What's it cost, and is it better than the C8 Forum ?

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean