Apple car play in non Apple car play doable? | FerrariChat

Apple car play in non Apple car play doable?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by THE VATICANTS, Mar 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. THE VATICANTS

THE VATICANTS Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    Not sure if it’s true but I’ve heard from several sources it is possible to upgrade to Apple CarPlay in a California T that doesn’t have it and then I heard some ridiculous price rumors. Is that true?
    Is it doable and is it easy or do you have to do it at the dealer and they really charge like 4K?

2. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    What would you use Apple carplay for? I do not have it in my Portofino and do not know what i would use it for.
    1. I can access my entire music collection on my phone or via a USB-stick and play anything using the controls on the screen or use voice controls.
    2. I use the built-in navigation system for navigation. Admittely the Porto screen is better than the Cali screen and Carplay may update maps more frequently.
    3. My phone connects to the car system via Bluetooth automatically. I can call up my contacts and previous calls via bluetooth onto the car screen and make calls.
    4. If I wanted to check my mails or messages I can do that on my phone and would NEVER check or write mails while driving, even if on a slightly larger screen.

If I am missing something Carplay could provide please let me know.

3. THE VATICANTS

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    Yes, you are missing something: A WIFE WHO WANTS CARPLAY

4. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    :);)

I think you can replace the factory head unit but the cost is staggering. Other people have just changed out the radio, which is not cheap, either, but nothing like using the factory parts.

I have it in my Alfa and really like it ... mostly for Waze navigation on the screen but it's also nice for podcasts and music if you are an Apple-centric person. Although I never listen to anything but the engine in the Ferrari anyway.

5. THE VATICANTS

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    Yeah not worth the hassle. Wifey is so used to Apple Car play we were wondering if it is something easy but we'll be more than fine ;) I personally never sync my phones to the Ferraris, I wanna drive and if need be can check the phone when stopped.

6. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    Nav/speed radar alert is better with Waze & frequently updated.
    keep my nav system up to date.

7. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    nothing you mentioned is any comparison to carplay. it also affects resale value because ferrari entertainment system sucks big time.

vraa and THE VATICANTS like this.
  8. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Ah yes. Silly of me to leave out the most important reason. :rolleyes: Maybe you would like to ask her these questions, but then maybe that would not be wise :)

THE VATICANTS likes this.
  9. THE VATICANTS

Feb 5, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    VATICANT
    Haha exactly. Instead of "yay new CALI T" it was "No Apple Car Play??" lollll
    JK, of course she loves the car ;)

10. Dseig001

Dseig001 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 21, 2017

I DD my Cali T and CarPlay was a must. I get it. Don’t let the guys Sunday driving the GT car bug you. It’s meant to be driven and used. I couldn’t do my morning meetings without it. My mid engine is a weekend car, the Cali should be user friendly.

russellmcg and CCallaud like this.