FF as sole family car | FerrariChat

FF as sole family car

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by Crocodon, Mar 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crocodon

Crocodon Karting

May 12, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hi everyone,

I currently have a Cayenne as my family’s only car. As the kids get a bit older, I’m not going to need as much space (huge pram, big cars seats, etc.) so can move to a car with a smaller carrying capacity.

Am I crazy to consider having an FF as my only car? I know there are a couple of known issues: PTU and DCT sensor.

Thanks!

2. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Hi Daniel,
    I have a Cayenne as well as family car for the long trips (>1000km), all weather and when I don't know where the car will spend the night ("standard" hotels).
    My FF is more for short trips with garage waiting for her (nice hotels or friend's home).
    Some guys here run their FF daily but I consider it needs too much care everywhere and I can't be serene that way.
    Don't be afraid with the PTU and the DCT, you live in UK, the best place imho to fix them in the eventuality it happens!
    The FF is a very great machine, far more race than an RS6 or Panamera TT for example.
    To answer precisely your question I would buy one but would buy as well a "cheap mule" for the really bad weather days or when you want to keep "stealth".
    My fifty cents.
    P.

Bas, Caeruleus11 and otakki like this.
  3. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    How often will you use the car if you’re living in London? Will it only be used for weekly groceries or does it do the school run as well? There are better cars for stop start traffic and it’s potential is wasted below 50mph.

It’s comfortable enough for 4 adults and their luggage and my wife and I have had 2 week holidays complete with road bikes in ours but it really comes alive at higher speeds and less busy roads. Do you live in central London or on the outskirts? Proximity to the M25 means that you can hit the open road more easily.

Boomhauer and Bamsefar like this.
  4. Crocodon

Crocodon Karting

May 12, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    This is really helpful and kind of in line with what I’ve been thinking. I’ve owned cars that break down regularly, but that was before I had a family. If I got a backup car, we could daily the FF without being too stressed.

Nice to hear re the PTU- I believe Furlonger can fix them.

5. Crocodon

Crocodon Karting

May 12, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    My wife would use it daily during the week for errands around town and then we would use it to leave London most weekends (or this is what we used to do pre-Covid!). So it would spend most days just pottering around, but would definitely get its legs stretched regularly!

6. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    I drove my FF daily and now my Lusso. But not in London. Would I in Manhattan? Tough call. For all activities the car is docile and manageable without concerns with the possible exception of traffic and or potholes. The only question is how much traffic you’ll deal with. Lastly what is the price of petrol?

Ahh go for it. Worst case scenario you buy another car for around town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    I had a GLS and moved to the Lusso as my sole family car while in France. It is definitely tighter to make the luggage fit for road trips, but besides that, everybody loves it. I have 2 kids, 7 and 9. I did get the iPad holders for the back so that makes it a little better for the kids.

ScottS likes this.
  8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #8 greyboxer, Mar 16, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    Speed bumps and width restrictors would be an early consideration - 7 ft difficult 6'6" impossible at a guess - I'd also have concerns about getting the length around tighter left turns without using all of the road - oh and reversing into parking spaces but perhaps 'Fulham parking' would apply ie just dumping it in the middle of the road and turning on the hazards !

9. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    The Cayenne which the OP already has is longer and wider than the FF so width, manoeuverability and parking shouldn't be any harder in the FF.
    Admittedly, the FF's wheelbase is slightly longer but the FF has as much ground clearance as a BMW 3 series and a lift equipped and engaged FF has almost as much ground clearance as the Cayenne so, again, speed bumps shouldn't be an issue. I sometimes feel that The Netherlands is the world capital of speed bumps and the FF copes fine here.

Infant and Crocodon like this.
  10. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Sorry for OT, but damn that is the spirit!! I like that people, more and more, brings there road bikes with them, just like I do. Stockholm where I live is great, easy access for cycling (I think, others might say different), however sometimes I need to get away and well what a better way to cover some distance than in a FF?

I drive my FF daily, and it is my only car since I got it in 2016. Go for it!
    (and yes, traffic is maybe not the best place to put an FF - it kind of likes to jump all over the place to show what's under the hood)

Boomhauer and ANOpax like this.
  11. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
  12. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    Awesome-and just what these cars are for.

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. RossoF8

RossoF8 Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    After trading in my Cayenne GTS, I’ve been daily driving my Lusso for about a month now. Other than a couple times that I didn’t want to show up at kids’ school with a prancing horse (took my wife’s car instead), it’s been a great experience!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Boomhauer likes this.
  14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I plan on dropping my kids off in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RossoF8 likes this.
  15. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    I did it once because we were coming from out of town with the Lusso and were late for school. I dropped them from afar so as not to be too obvious. By the next day everybody was talking about my daughters being dropped in a Ferrari:)

Boomhauer, otakki, IloveGT and 2 others like this.
  16. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    You can drive, but you can not hide....

Boomhauer and otakki like this.
  17. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    It has actually become a Friday favorite for my twins. I pick them up in the Lusso on Fridays. Thst way I can control it since they have extended day. I don't drop them off as it's too much of a circus.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 and 350MH83 like this.
  18. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    2018 Lusso T is my daily driver and only car aside from my F430. Took my son to T-ball practice the other day, ran some errands, shipped packages, etc. Totally suitable for everyday use.

Wish the Ferrari badge wasn’t so obvious, as it would otherwise blend right in.

I do think more about unintended consequences from DD a Ferrari and how it’s perceived... when I’m not smiling from ear to ear driving it around town.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Boomhauer, otakki, tomc and 3 others like this.
  19. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have had an FF as a daily driver since May 2019. I have put 18k miles on it and it always puts a smile on my face at start up. I am planning on a 3k mile roadtrip of the Pacific Northwest this summer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

20. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Well. There is a stable of dads dropping off in a variety of Ferraris locally. My son was asked that he said he father was a surgeon but obviously works for Ferrari since he gets dropped off in a different one every time.

Not exactly. But ........ at least i didn’t drop off in a red PISTA like my son’s friend’s dad dropped him.

Oh and the school is a little down the block from the Ferrari dealer.

Daily driving a Lusso in Florida is a no brainer.

Do it and don’t look back.

21. Altoria F

Altoria F Formula Junior

Jan 24, 2020
    France
    Full Name:
    P
    Wow! Here someone driving a grey Ferrari a sunny sunday is looked as an "extraterrestrial"!
    I wish I lived in Florida! Not to mention the sun!

Boomhauer likes this.
  22. Crocodon

Crocodon Karting

May 12, 2020
    London
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Thanks for all the responses, everyone! I’ll be sure to let you know how I get on.

23. Moopz

Moopz F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 29, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Natkingcolebasket69, RossoF8 and vraa like this.
  24. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    To be honest, i went the different road... in many areas in continental europe the "ESGs" of a daily driven Ferrari are beyond acceptable...

A panamera Turbo S hybrid is at least as fast, a bit less exclusive maybe, but just stays under the radar of most people.

25. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    #25 ANOpax, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Why are so many of you worried about what other people might think?

If people want to judge you then that is their problem, not yours.

Where I live, popular perception is that anyone driving an F-car must be an *******. So what.
    (At least in Italy, anyone driving an F-car is a god :D)

As long as I'm legal, I don't expect the attitudes of other people to dictate my choice or enjoyment of a car (or anything else for that matter).

Carl A, Nospinzone, otakki and 2 others like this.