Autostacker....anybody here have knowledge or experience? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Autostacker....anybody here have knowledge or experience?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Jack-the-lad, Apr 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    Thecadster and energy88 like this.
  2. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Skippr1999, defiant and Thecadster like this.
  3. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
  4. defiant

defiant Karting

Sep 16, 2008
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    S
    most garage door companies can raise your existing tracks (and extend vertically) to close to 8-10” to the ceiling and you can replace that motor with a side-mount. (Had to do the same). You won’t need all new doors!

Thecadster likes this.
  5. Ngcanada

Ngcanada Formula Junior

May 16, 2016
    Ottawa Canada
    Exactly what I did. After the lift was installed the garage door company simply extended the tracks to the ceiling with the existing garage door, removed the old garage door opener and installed a wall mounted liftmaster garage door opener. The cost is the opener which is about 1400 and the tracks extension with labour, in all about 2200. Not bad.

defiant likes this.
  6. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    If you don't mind an afternoon of DIY contact ddmgaragedoors.com for a kit (tracks & springs) custom based on your door requirement along with a Lift Master 8500 side opener (Amazon). All in about $650 plus my time which of course was "priceless". :D

7. defiant

defiant Karting

Sep 16, 2008
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    S
    to get just an extra pinch of height, those lift master side-screw units will also allow the doors to lift to different heights. I don’t know how to link to my post in the garage thread, but you’ll see the left door (no lift) goes all the way, but the two other doors with side motors are set to not retract as far (allowing me to nose in, vs back on if desired).

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    @2008F430

I’m bumping this thread to see if anybody has any new experience with the AutoStacker to share. I have my wall mounted door motors in now and need to make a decision on the lift. I’m still interested in the Autostacker but would like to get more real world experiences.

Thanks.

9. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Well I asked the company that has installed a 4 post lift at my house and am about to do another.
    He implied that Bendpak (the Auto Stacker manufacturer) is a company he's not in love with due to their parts availability and their reimbursement for warranty repairs.
    Also, the feature of the Auto Stacker I didn't like was they are bolted into you floor as opposed to my 4 post lift which are not and can be moved with the supplied casters.
    It's a Frontline 4 post Model-EFP8

10. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thanks. I’ve heard the same thing about warranty reimbursements and parts availability.

11. Netpark

Netpark Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2012
    Yes, I would make the same decision. I can definitely only fit one stacker in my garage. Unfortunately I don't drive the McLaren as much as I'd like because I don't have the patience to bring it down and then put it back up. Not to mention having to move the car out underneath. The car on top will get the least love if you get a stacker of any kind. Unintended consequence. Lol.

Ferrari2652 likes this.
  12. MK11

MK11 Karting

Aug 4, 2019
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    MK
    I am planning on adding either a stacker or four post once my garage floors are done. Anyone has any concerns with epoxy finish floor and stability of either lift?

13. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Have epoxy floor and my 4post has been great for 3 years now and floor is unaffected and still like new and about to install another 4 post lift.
    This time a Challenger as the Frontline is no longer available.

MK11 likes this.
  14. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Please see your PMs.

thanks.

15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
  16. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  17. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
  18. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I thought it was ok. I’d like to see more information about installation, though.

19. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Don't know whether you're JUST considering the Autostacker, but maybe another viewpoint on another lift maybe helpful. I have THREE Challenger lifts at this point, buying two of them two years ago. I have two 9000 pound models and ONE 7000. I wouldn't buy another 7000 pound again. Not a significant difference in price, but a significant difference in stoutness. I figured with my cars weighing up to 3400 pounds, why not buy a lighter lift. Dumb move. It works fine but I don't think at the time it was much more than six hundred dollars difference in price. Both lifts install easily. I did the nine thousand pound lift in about six hours, and the 7000 pound in about four. Now I cheat a bit as I have a forklift, a skidsteer and many other lifting devices. BUT I think a person could easily install the lift, including getting it unpackaged with a pallet jack, or a cherry picker for car engines.

So I once again want another lift, and am surprised at how much more they cost two years later! The 9000 pound Challenger is around $5500.00. Seems quite a bit cheaper than the price I see for the Autostacker. Certainly can see why the Autostacker needs to be bolted down. Maybe you don't do any work on your cars, but the platform on the Autostacker makes it JUST a storage lift. I pulled the engine on one of my Testarossas on the 9000 pound lift, and it was easily done. I guess I SHOULD say I DROPPED the engine. I frankly have never critically analyzed the differences in the available lifts, buying the first lift because it was available, and liking it enough to buy two more, and now probably a fourth. Considering they weigh over a ton, a person is paying only $2.50 a pound for a finished product, which I think is pretty incredible. Just think what it would cost for that much steak!

20. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    #70 c8spidey, Feb 8, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2022
    Help me out here as I've just ordered a Challenger 7000lb. lift cause none o0f my cars weigh more then 3500lbs.That's wrong ? Why.i don't work on them just storage.Is it just the price difference between the 9 and the 7 so small that I'd go with the 9?

21. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Can you come to Florida to install mine?

;)

22. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    Well considering it took me 4 hours to mount my Wall Vac( 20 minute estimated job) I'll pass on installing my 4 post lift.
    but not getting anything bolted to my beautiful epoxy floor so Auto Stacker is out, but are you still suggesting that I'd not be happy with the 4 post 7000lb.
    Challenger ?

23. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    If you didn't have the 9000 pound model to compare it to, you'd probably be happy. Ignorance is bliss! I have a Testarossa on the 7000 lift and it's fine.
    But I'm really a tool junkie, and like to overkill any purchase. I bought the 7000 pound model because it was slightly narrower and shorter( in length) The uprights are smaller which makes the overall width smaller. When I ran my auto repair shop, I bought a Mohawk lift- probably twice as heavy duty as any other comparable lift. I still have it, and it makes me feel safe my cars are running on forklift channels instead of stamped steel. Though stamped steel is what every other lift uses.

I didn't bother to ask what the price of the 7000 pound model is these days. What did it cost? Chances are you'll be happy with it. Mine has had a car on it for two years. I don't know how it would handle an earthquake, which we haven't had in Oregon for 25 years. I'd have WAY bigger problems than the car lift if the "big one" hit.

24. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    $ 7000k installed and size is just right for my space to boot.Thanks for your advice!

25. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I have a 7000 lbs bendpack lift, had it for 5 years never had an issue. I like a 4 post because you can get under the car and service.
    The autostacker looks to be much easier in terms of simply driving the car on and off, no ramps to deal with and more ground clearance.

As others have said the car on top gets less use/love, not least because putting he ramps on the lift and guiding the car on or off is a process. For my lower cars BBI and lotus the ramps end up going over the lip of the garage and ramps need extenders because the angle is otherwise too steep for a low car. Installing he ramps+ exteders, guiding he car down the ramps, its alla process/hassle. these days the race car lives on top as it gets less use and more service. But mid summer when its too hot for the BBi it lives on top, but then if I want to service the race car its a hassle. There's also a regular bay on the other side, so one way or another whichever car is on top does not get used.

Looks like an autostacker means you can just pull the bar below out lower the lift and easily drive off with the top car. the downsides are you cant really work on the car, and unlike a 4 post the width of the whole unit absorbs a lot of space and walkaround space.

If you go 4 post get extended aluminum ramps you can then leave attached and get a one with good width between the posts.