348 Engine blew 367 days after last major... | Page 5 | FerrariChat

348 Engine blew 367 days after last major...

Discussion in '348/355' started by axarunner, Mar 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I was thinking more of Luca complaining about being clipped by a GTI. If that story is true.

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    So all you red liners, just where are you driving that you can hit red line consistently in anything but 1st gear? I see a lot of You Tube vids with guys going through the gear and I pretty sure they aren't taking the car up to 170 mph.

Estimated MPH @ red line

1st 53
    2nd 75
    3rd 101
    4th 128
    5th 157
    6th 194 (exceeds stated top speed of car)

mr308gtb likes this.
  3. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    #103 32 Ford, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Throw a Chevy LS6 motor in it like all the gearheads seem to do with everything these days.:rolleyes: Just think of all the talk you'll get at the next Ferrari meet you go to.:confused::(:mad: and:eek:

Sorry, just trying to throw some levity at a bad situation. All the best of luck getting it sorted out.

26street, NeuroBeaker and axarunner like this.
  4. PA32Pilot

PA32Pilot Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2020
    Glendora, CA
    Full Name:
    Jamie Kirk
    Only certain aircraft used for as hired has TBO dictated by hours.

5. axarunner

axarunner Karting

Sep 8, 2019
    Glen Ridge, NJ
    Full Name:
    Dan Murphy
    That did cross my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

6. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Exactly what I was thinking. I’d be very suspicious if I were the OP.

7. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Can’t help ask...
    1) are the teeth on both belts stripped or just one?
    2) on the bank(s) where the teeth on the belts are stripped did all of the valves make contact with the pistons? (Can the inlet and exhaust valves physically make contact; I don’t know hence asking?)
    3) does the crank freely rotate?

Obviously further info required and unhelpful speculation on my part, but could this be oil starvation to the cams? Because as described the only thing that will rip the teeth from the belt if either crank turning and cams not or visa versus; the latter not being possible. I’ve seen it in a four pot years ago where it was a bit of rag clogging an oil way that starved the cam of oil and it seized.

I don’t buy the over reving arguments as there is a safety factor on the redline anyway, this would only really apply if you were down shifting or seriously missed a gear and some how forced it into a lower gear. (almost impossible) and presumably the first issue would be valves bouncing, which doesn’t logically lead to teeth being stripped, or does it?

Be interested to see the pictures and hope you get a logical and not horrendous $ repair.

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    On a separate note how was it with the refreshed steering rack. On mine it changed the character of the car completely.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

axarunner likes this.
  9. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Your numbers look 5% higher than actual.

Areas around me, if you aren't doing 95 on the expressway you're getting passed.

Late night, early morning with no cars on the road it's easy to go fast.

Even if you just run zero to 100 that's still redline shifting 1-2 2-3 3-4 and getting there a LOT faster than lugging the poor thing like a diesel

DBomb117, chas-3 and KevZep like this.
  10. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Calculated from gear ratios and tire size at 8700 RPM. But the point is you can't go out for a 4 hour drive and be hitting red line at every shift or you will never get out of 3rd. And what's with the expressway? What fun is driving on an expressway with a sports car? I can do 95 on an expressway in my Toyota truck. I'll take the curvy back roads of NE at 60 over an expressway at 95 any day. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    All the information is in the thread.

One of the buckets popped out and seized one of the camshafts.

Two teeth and the valves are into the pistons, the engine is done, there will be significant damage.

The crank should not be moved in this situation with the teeth stripped, you really do not want to do that.

No way oil starvation would make one cam seize. Or have anything to do with the bucket dislodging.
    Its likely been over revved, but not by the OP, seems logical to assume at this point whoever road tested the car after the last service likely went 1st-2nd-3rd-2nd....something like that.....
    If you are a buffoon, you'll get into the wrong gear!!

I am interested to see some pictures....

12. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I got 5% less than what you did calculating the same. What's with the expressway is I drive on more than one road, lmao. Lots of curves and ramps everywhere anyway.

Didn't say I'm "redlining every shift" but when the opportunity presents itself for max acceleration I'm using all of the rev range.

bjwhite likes this.
  13. KevZep

KevZep Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2020
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bennett
    Its not about hitting the redline in every gear, and I suspect you know this. Nobody said anything about "constantly" hitting the redline.
    Where opportunities present, I'll use the full RPM range and power the car has to offer, why wouldn't I? Totally within safe operating margins, it designed to be used like that.

I run my car to the redline often in 2nd and 3rd when we are out on drives in the back roads, but not EVERY shift is at the redline, I fail to see how this is so difficult to understand......

I don't think about "numbers" and "oh my I am putting 50% more stress on the engine taking it 1000rpm over 6000rpm" and so forth......I just drive the thing to how it feels, there is one of the best exhaust notes, and plenty of power up around 7000-7500rpm, and I'll use it thanks very much, just like Ferrari expect we would.....

But at the end of the day, I respect how people want to drive their cars, but it seems silly for those of us that like to run to the full potential the car has to offer, that we are being made to feel like we are "risking" anything untoward.....
    If we were bypassing the rev limiter and taking them out to 9500rpm beyond the fuel and ignition map, then of course, that would be very risky.....
    Working on the south side of the rev limiter, happy days, live and let live......

Challenge, bcar1 and MAD828 like this.
  14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    The 'timing' of the service and 'mayhem' is too much of a coincidence. Maybe BIG coincidence, maybe a small coincidence, but still, a coincidence. :D

god I love Seinfeld :p

bcar1 likes this.
  15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

And that's the bottom line. Drive like YOU want to. That's what I do. I bought the car for me to enjoy, not to live up to someone else's expectations. :)

16. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Would be interesting to know the mileage of the OPs car.....more miles=more wear.

17. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Don't even know where to begin with that one. I'll say this, these cars don't just grenade with miles.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Jakuzzi and bcar1 like this.
  18. POLO35

POLO35 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2005
    Treasure Coast Florida
    Full Name:
    MATT
    Generally no, but could be a factor. Just curious.

19. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Well, if you read the thread carefully you will see that it's been 1 year since the major service. I highly doubt he exceeded 30,000 in the span.

axarunner likes this.
  20. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    It’s a Ferrari, they break, that’s what they do. Lovely automobiles, great sound, but poorly engineered and rubbish build quality. I feel very sorry for the owner, but you have to be a masochist to own these cars, it’s the price of entry.

21. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Build quality perhaps yes. Poorly engineered though?

Doug. likes this.
  22. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    How about questionable engineeering decisions? Companies like Hill Engineering are thankful.

23. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I work on my 355. This is very true.

24. 32 Ford

32 Ford Karting

Jan 31, 2021
    vancouver
    Full Name:
    Mike McGowan
    Ever been to Italy? The whole country is like that. Questionable engineering and decisions. Ever hear of the Morandi bridge in Genoa. Fell down in 2018. Very questionable engineering and decisions. Ever been on their Fast train . Has to slow down while passing towns. Not so fast. It's called the Italian way. Ferrari is no different.

epb0 likes this.
  25. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Be careful when you start throwing stones.....
    I-35 bridge collapse https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-35W_Mississippi_River_bridge

A348W likes this.