Roma Exhaust vs Portofino Exhaust | FerrariChat

Roma Exhaust vs Portofino Exhaust

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Phuntoosh, Mar 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Phuntoosh

Phuntoosh Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    Hello Everyone.

I am hoping someone can answer this question for me.

I currently have a Portofino. I upgraded the exhaust with 100 cell cats along with remote valve control. Sounds fantastic.

I am considering changing to a Portofino M later this year. From what I gather they have changed the exhaust system by adding a gasoline particulate filter and removing the rear silencers.

I understand the Roma has the exact same setup.

This concerns me as I do not want to take a step backwards when it comes to the exhaust note.

So:

1. Is the stock Roma significantly louder than the stock Portofino? Has anyone had real life experience of this?

2. Even if the new Portofino M is slightly louder than the old Portofino - am I likely to be disappointed coming from the 100 cell cat system? (Apparently the sports cats cannot be transferred to the new upcoming model)

3. Has anyone tried to remove the GPF from the Roma to see what it sounds like?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks. The new car will have a few days of a

aepma likes this.
  2. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Roma is a nice car but soundwise it wasnt good.

I don't think you'll get a decent sound with any new ferraris which have gpf. That muffled sound is simply terrible.

3. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    IMO the Roma sound was a major disappointment ( as was much of the rest of the car ).

4. Phuntoosh

Phuntoosh Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    Oh dear. This doesn’t bode well.

If the Roma sounds bad, then I assume the Portofino M will too.

Have there been no satisfactory upgrade options for the Roma exhaust to date?

If not, I will probably be better off sticking with the existing car along with the sports cats.

5. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    The last great sounding Ferrari was/is the 812. As far as V8 cars, the 458. After that turbos muffled the sound and the GPF just added to the problem. I drove the Roma twice and while the sound is not what I'm use to (Scud), it sounded better than what I expected. I think it sounded better than the 488's that I drive with on club drives. I have also heard that after a couple thousand miles the impact of the GPF is lessened. Not sure if that true or not.

Joe M and Autolove like this.
  6. Ppu

Ppu Rookie

Feb 17, 2020
    Germany
    The filter is mandatory and has an impact on the sound. Therefore, a comparison of old models with all new models does not work. The question is, how is the sound of a Roma compared with other new models. In my eyes the sound is much better. Within normal inner city speed limits it is comparable with a Porsche Turbo S. You are able to make a phone call :) With higher speeds on a German Autobahn it is fantastic - particular if you change gears.

Joe M likes this.
  7. timothymunro

timothymunro Karting

Jun 20, 2013
    I drove the Roma and the exhaust sound at startup and driving was much louder and much better than a Cali or Porto and is better than the F8. I’ve driven all of them. Can’t wait for my Roma in April! (Moving on from a DB11.)

Joe M likes this.
  8. ptriggs_official

May 7, 2020
    Roma definitely louder than stock Porto . . . at idle louder than F8 (bizarre I know but I had them side by side this week as I’m about to order a Roma and compared it to my F8). Check out Harry’s Garage review of it for some thoughts on the low speed / idle exhaust note as well.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Joe M likes this.
  9. Phuntoosh

Phuntoosh Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    Finally got my hands on a Roma for a few days as a test run.

Agreed. The exhaust is certainly better than the stock Portofino. But still nothing special.

Unfortunately it’s not a patch on a Portofino fitted with 100 cell sports cats.

The difference is huge. I took both out today for this very purpose.

Is there no one out there who has tried modifying the Roma exhaust? Can anything be done to it at all given the GPF filter?

Thanks.

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Anything with GPF is going to have the higher frequencies muted. The cold start sounds OK but higher revs don't produce more sound, that's the problem and unless the GPF can be removed, you lose on sound. This is a big problem for Ferrari going forward at least for customers that want good sound to go with good performance.

Novitec has a package for the 812 GPF delete but don't know if they have done F8 or Roma yet.

11. Phuntoosh

Phuntoosh Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    No one with any news on a Roma exhaust upgrade?

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I've got the same question.

The tire noise by the passing cars is louder than this "Roma LOUD EXHAUST!" video:

Matt

rocketman likes this.
  13. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    The camera has more volume than any of the other sounds!

The mics in these cameras are frequency sensitive and you are not hearing the relative volume of exhaust noise. Plus whatever you’re playing it on may not reproduce the sound accurately either. Certainly true on my iPad.

In any case I’m quite happy with the sound of the Roma. A nice guttural growl. But even better, it has pops and burbles that I used to have on my 458 spider but lost over time. Very nice!

SV

RamsHmb likes this.
  14. Phuntoosh

Phuntoosh Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    My experience was not the same unfortunately.

Only the cold startup and idle sound OK.

Once the car warms up - it is simply too silent.

Bear in mind - I am comparing with a Portofino fitted with 100 cell sports cats. There is simply no comparison.

It looks like the Roma (and upcoming Portofino M) will need an ECU remap in order to stop any warnings after removing the GPF filter. This would invalidate the warranty. Hence a no go for me.

Such a shame.

wrs likes this.
  15. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami

Agree

wrs likes this.
  16. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    i like the roma a lot but i'll be honest, sound is not there at all. very muffled.

wrs likes this.
  17. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    If you’re in the USA doesn’t the Magnussen-Moss Act protect your warranty even if you chip your car?

Matt

18. Phuntoosh

Phuntoosh Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    You’re lucky over there I guess.

In the UK, it certainly does affect the warranty - as far as I’m aware anyway.

19. Joe M

Joe M Karting

May 17, 2018
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    I have driven both the Roma and F8 and agree that the Roma sounds more dramatic than the F8. However, none of the two sounds as good as my Cali T Handling Speciale. A friend who lives next door has a 488 and he revels in the exhaust of my HS versus his Ferrari.

20. Joe M

Joe M Karting

May 17, 2018
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Breaks my heart to say it, but Ferrari is heading down the wrong path with their new models in muting the exhaust system. They're giving life to Lamborghini, Aston Martin, and McLaren.

21. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William

22. Joe M

Joe M Karting

May 17, 2018
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Thanks for sharing as that was a great comparison!

wrs likes this.
  23. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I have enjoyed all three. I think after I put the straight pipe Tubi on the 488 it sounded louder and that was the first video. The one where the 488 and the Cali T HS were revving is when the 488 was delivered and that was pre-Tubi. Of course the 812 is the best but that's to be expected. It's my favorite. Maybe I should do a Portofino revving and add it into the clips. I think it sounds pretty good stock but I don't drive it, my wife does and the sound isn't as important to her.

24. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Well having a car with a modified exhaust especially sport cats ... Is of zero comparison to a new car unmodified.

New cars have more and more stringent tests they have to pass.

A car with a modded exhaust and sport cats is going to undue the engineering the factory had to do to make them pass those tests.

So modified vs unmodified there is going to be zero comparison.

Roma exhausts will hit the streets when more people start taking delivery and the shops get them to make the jigs etc...

I wouldn't expect many flashes in the future for removal of anything in the exhaust stream. The diesel guys all got levied with 100s of thousands in fines for doing this... Tunes are in question. Now with the current administration and their empowerment of the EPA.

Joe M and Mickyd329 like this.
  25. 1BigVelo

1BigVelo Rookie

Oct 24, 2021
    Full Name:
    Craig Estey