458 : DIY rear bumper / exhaust removal? | FerrariChat

458 : DIY rear bumper / exhaust removal?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Alleykat, Jun 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alleykat

Alleykat Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I searched but didn't find anything. Does anyone have instructions for removing the rear bumper to take out the exhaust? Somewhere I read it could be done without bumper removal. I have a friend who wants me to work on his exhaust and I just wanted to get ahead before he brings the car to me.Thanks in advance.

2. 2012-458

2012-458 Karting

Nov 10, 2015
    I was able to do the exhaust replacement without removing the rear bumper. It made it a bit more difficult but I didn't want to risk anything happening to the rear bumper upon removal.

I installed a Novitec cat-back system and Fabspeed sport cats both at the same time. Just had to remove the rear diffuser and was able to access everything.

3. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I have a 2000 page manual that shows how to take the 458 apart. I purchased it a while back. I'll PM you

Ray

4. Alleykat

Alleykat Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I just took the diffuser off and it does look straight forward. Did you undo the rods going thru the rubber hangars or just unbolt the 3 bolts on the hangar bracket ?

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #5 Melvok, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Alleykat

Alleykat Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I haven't took off the exhaust yet only the diffuser like in your pic lol. But I'm gonna give it a shot in a bit.It can't be harder than an R8 exhaust install. Now THAT is a pain in the butt!

7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Thanx Alex, remember that 90% here will never do this job themselves ... :D

8. 2012-458

2012-458 Karting

Nov 10, 2015
    I undid the (3) bolts on the hanger brackets. 4 of the brackets were very easy. The last 2 that face the rear were very tight to get to but if you have a long enough wrench you can get to it.

9. Alleykat

Alleykat Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #9 Alleykat, Jul 12, 2016
    Well Melvok there we go!

My thoughts on this process. Can you remove exhaust without removing bumper? Yes I'm sure but it will take some work. Removing the rear bumper is EASY. I have never removed a bumper so fast.You have to remove the fender liners of course but it's nothing major. On each bumper corner there is 3 bolts. There is no bolts in the middle of the bumper it just slides into a groove.

Now the stock exhaust on the other hand was a pain.I don't know why Ferrari still uses slip on method with band clamp technology.When will they upgrade to vband? They also put tack welds on the band to hold it from falling off. In order to remove the exhaust I had also unbolt it's middle section. Making it into 3 pieces,letting you rotate the mufflers free.Taking off the mufflers was definitely the most time consuming.With bumper off now you can clean back there.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Melvok likes this.
  10. Alleykat

Alleykat Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #10 Alleykat, Jul 12, 2016
    Melvok likes this.
  11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #11 Melvok, Jul 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    Amazingly simple it looks ! Thanx for this write-up ! ... (can you make a photo of these 3 hanging bolts in the bumper and chassis please ?)

And now .... what will you install now ? Please also document this for us like you just did :D

Are you looking for a louder system or higher pitch Alex ?

12. Alleykat

Alleykat Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Full Name:
    Alex
    No problem Melvok I will take some more pictures soon. I am going to make an exhaust myself for it. Looking for the higher pitch. :)

13. Alced75ldn

Alced75ldn Rookie

Oct 18, 2019
    Full Name:
    Aldn
    Hello Ray,
    Hope you are doing well,

could you please send me the manual ? I have to change the outter fin of the rear bumper diffuser and I d like to check how to
    Do it .

thanks
    Regards

14. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Are these the bolts to remove the rear diffuser? I want to plug the vaccuum tube to keep the exhaust valves always open. All I need to do is remove the rear diffuser right?

can someone post or send me a picture of the manual that shows how to remove the rear diffuser? Thank you so much!

Melvok likes this.
  15. Eds458

Eds458 Karting

Jan 24, 2020
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Edward Lagunte
    Those are the bolts to remove the rear diffuser. 6 bolts at the rear are 4mm allen head and 6 at the front are regular 10mm bolts. Tightening torque spec is 8.5nm

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Melvok likes this.
  16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Absolutely WRONG, thinking it is a 430 !

In the 458 it is done electrically …

Unplug the two electric connectors. That is what the remote controllers do …

Do you know what I mean ?

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
  18. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
  19. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Hi: definitely you can plug the vacuum hoses without disconnecting the solenoids, to keep the valves always open, they are in fact a "fail open" design.
    Check this:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/can-someone-explain-the-stock-458-valve-operation-installing-a-forza-controller.619296/
    You can even trigger error codes by unplugging the solenoids; I am not sure as I didn't do that personally but I guarantee you won't get any code by plugging the vacuum hoses. And yes: you can do that by just removing the diffuser, no need to jack the car.
    Hope it helps.

20. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thanks a lot- What did you use to plug the hose and did you secure it with a zip tie or something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    I plugged the hose ends in my 360 with M6 screws! They were about 15mm long. They fit inside the hoses perfectly. You don't need any zip ties or anything because the threads will hold.

22. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    I have a novitec exhaust on the way and struggling a little to find instructions. I gather from here I don’t need to take the bumper off (I have taken it off before - not afraid to do it just don’t want burn the time on it if not necessary because I am a perfectionist on the reinstall for perfect gap alignment). It also seems there are some tack welds - assume they need to be angle grinded off? Any advice here?

Then I gather I have to unbolt the hangers vs just unhooking the exhaust from then?

Ballpark, how much time should I plan on (I’m pretty handy and have done all my own spark plugs, maintenance etc)?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Alleykat

Alleykat Karting

Apr 2, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I VERY highly recommend you remove the bumper to do the exhaust. Every time I have removed 1 they line right back up with no effort.

Leaving bumper on will cost you more time in the end trying to twist the stock exhaust off. Banging up everything trying to squeeze it out.

I personally unbolt the hangers then remove them once the whole exhaust is off. It’s very difficult to get them to slide off while in place. As mentioned in my original post, Ferrari uses slip on clamps. They’re a pain the butt! Soak them in penetrating fluid/wd40 beforehand.

I don’t remember the grinding off tack welds part but it will be visible for sure when bumper is off. I want to say it was a tack weld that held the center tip to the 2 sides. Overall a very simple install but no way I will ever try 1 leaving bumper on. Same thing with 488 I just take it right off.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    Ok need a little help on this exhaust removal. The bumper is fully removed as is just about anything else I could unscrew including the hangers. The problem is I can’t get the exhaust pulled back far enough away from the cats so that the clamps come off. The hangars that are welded to the exhaust hit the back metal bar of the bumper.

Attached are pics. We tried tilting the exhaust up as well as down to clear but there just is not enough room to move the exhaust far enough back for the clamps to come off the pipe. How are you getting the exhaust box out?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Does anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk