430 - SEB - Smart E-DIFF Bypass ECU | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 SEB - Smart E-DIFF Bypass ECU

Discussion in '360/430' started by Ray Smith, Jan 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Is the e-diff relay under the driver seat and the F1 is the passenger side? (For LHD cars)

2. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    LHD side on US car. Behind the drivers seat. Remove 5 screws and pull the panel out. F1 relay is right next to it. EDiff ECU is marked. Stef’s website has excellent instructions and pics.

Ray Smith likes this.
  3. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Just had a friend order this, thanks for the recommendation!

4. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    When you turb CST on does it not disable the e-dff?

5. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    i believe it still does work with cst off, just turns tracking off and individual wheel braking

6. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I just received an email from Stef re: E-Diff vs LSD.

The E-Diff is not a limited slip differential. When he says "open" rear that's exactly what he means. A non-locking differential.

A limited slip differential uses mechanical forces to determine which clutches to engage. The TCU in the F430 decides when to lock clutches, which is apparently every time you are not going perfectly straight. Even then there is a residual 5-10% locking.

I misunderstood his description believing that the F430 rear was inherently a LSD that was augmented by the E-Diff mechanism. It is not.

Ray

brogenville likes this.
  7. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Thank you for this clarification Ray.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Ray Smith likes this.
  8. MelloF430

MelloF430 Rookie

Dec 13, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mello
    Sorry guys, still trying to understand. With Stef's device installed will the 430 do a two wheel burnout even though it has an open diff? Also, when exiting a turn under hard acceleration is power going to both wheels? Very interested in the Smart E-diff bypass just trying to understand it a bit more. Thanks

9. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    No- burnouts will be a one tyre fire.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Ray Smith likes this.
  10. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I agree i dont get it either or the benifit it has

How did the f430 have improved laps time with e diff as opposed without if its crap??

11. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    I think the issue that Stef is/was fixing is these diffs are now aging. As they age and wear, it could be a point of failure.

I don't think there's any debate that applying tech to creating a better lap time is the way to go. This is more about removing a potential point of failure as we drive them on the street. Although I have to confess I do not understand the eDiff well enough to describe how it functions under CST mode. I thought it was almost/is entirely disengaged. Rather simplistically, I think about Stef's SEB as bringing that situation to SPORT mode and allowing me to decide when it's used.

The benefit isn't faster lap times, it's about addressing a known and expensive weakness. Replacing the e-diff solenoid can be around $1,000. This solution reduces (significantly) the wear on that item due to it not being constantly pressurized and wear on the eDiff and plates as it is not being constantly engaged.

In full disclosure, I did buy one and therefore believe there's a benefit...although still haven't driven the freakin' thing. I have no affiliation with Scud Ing, but do own a few of their products.

Ray Smith likes this.
  12. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thanks
    If the only benifit is parts lasting longer i dont see it as a benifit if performance is affected!

13. MelloF430

MelloF430 Rookie

Dec 13, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mello
    Seems to me this is a device that can make everyday driving somewhat smoother if that's important to you. Does not appear to be (nor does Stef claim) that this is a performance improvement. With 500hp, real wheel drive and an open diff I don't see anyway around excessive wheel spin when trying to maximize exit speed. Still interesting to me because I run 235's up front, nothing wrong with saving components, and this device can be turned off. I don't understand the claim from Stef's web page that sticky tires can't be used with a Ferrari E-diff. Anyone who installed this please share your experience.

Flea7, brogenville and Marcoboxer like this.
  14. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I think the problem with sticky tires is that it puts too much stress on the clutches id you are hammering it on a racetrack and it will wear quickly or fail

Marcoboxer likes this.
  15. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I've never slid my car sideways to have the e-diff rein me back in. Probably never will. If I was to disable the e-diff I would want it to remain as a LSD like my other cars. I always thought these cars had a LSD which can be controlled electronically. I thought with CST off the nannies are gone and you just have an old school posi trac LSD. Might have to spin the tyres up and find out.

16. MelloF430

MelloF430 Rookie

Dec 13, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mello
    Likewise - I don't slide my car around much either. Understanding the physics and exactly what the product is doing or not doing is interesting to me.

17. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Maybe it's the e-diff that gets you traction when you need it and it's the individual wheel braking that pulls you back in if you go sideways.

18. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    We need someone to sacrifice their rear tires to the cause and report back.

In sport, race and oh crap mode.

RedTaxi and Ray Smith like this.
  19. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I want an excuse my wife will buy that will allow me to junk these practically-new Bridgestone tires and get the Michelin's as I had on my Z06. If the rear tires are worn down to dangerous levels to where they will be a liability in rainy Southern California ― it does rain here ― then replacing them is justified on a cost-benefit ration analysis basis.

I hereby volunteer. Not for myself, but for the greater good of the community.

Standby for updates.

430tdf and brogenville like this.
  20. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    If you don't want one, don't buy one.

Ray

Marcoboxer likes this.
  21. Marcoboxer

Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    Legend.

Ray Smith likes this.
  22. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Huh? Im trying to gain an understanding, as i do with most things in life, then make a decision
    Seems like no one really understands it

Or are you a sheep?

23. MelloF430

MelloF430 Rookie

Dec 13, 2017
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mello
    Thanks for taking one for the team. Looking forward to hearing the results.

Ray Smith likes this.
  24. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    I just tried an experiment. I jacked the car up on the Quick Jacks with the transmission in neutral, and the parking brake off, with the ignition on.

I manualy turned the left side rear wheel. The other wheel turns, showing that there is some residual locking of the differential even with the SEB on disable.

25. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Politically motivated insult aside, your posts generally are short and have a negative aspect. You don't like the Scuderia paddles? Don't buy them. Speculating that they cause unwanted shifts if you flash the high beams or use the wipers with no first hand experience is irresponsible.

The 430 Challenge does not have an E-DIFF system. If it was useful for the track, it would have an E-Diff.

Baahhh