Sold - 1979 308 GTB. Red/Beige. 14,500 miles. Recent Major | FerrariChat

Sold 1979 308 GTB. Red/Beige. 14,500 miles. Recent Major

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by Steve Ahlgrim, Mar 27, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Ahlgrim

Steve Ahlgrim Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Ahlgrim
    1979 Ferrari 308 GTB, VIN 29927, Red/Beige. 14,500 miles. Carbureted 308s were produced when all Ferrari had 3-pedals, Weber carburetors, and an exquisite Pininfarina design that looked like no other car on the road.

If you have ever looked for a good carbureted 308 you have undoubtedly found rough examples, crudely refurbish examples, and over restored examples that looked much different from an original car. Great examples are rare and premium examples are almost nonexistent. This 308 GTB is a true premium 14,500-mile example. It looks like when it was built. It has only been lightly refurbished to groom it for show duty. It has been kept in top mechanical condition and has had a very recent $5,200 maintenance by Ferrari guru Tim Stanford.

The car has won a Best in Class at the Winter Park Concours. a Platinum Preservation award at Cavallino, a Platinum in Class award at Cavallino, and a Platinum award at the Celebration Exotic Festival.

It is complete with XWXs, full tools, jack kit, books and notebook history file. It is available to be inspected in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. $87,500. I don't believe you can find a better 308 GTB. Contact Steve Ahlgrim 678 361-7997 [email protected].
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Hi Steve, I've been told you know 308s better than anyone. How recent where those awards and what, if anything, does this car need? Is the entire history available? How far back are the records?

3. christianscott

Mar 14, 2005
    Auburn, NH
    Full Name:
    Christian C Scott
    How has this car not sold already?!? It’s gorgeous Steve.

technom3 likes this.
  4. Alex_Grim

Alex_Grim Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Absolutely stunning example. The timeless lines of a GTB can't be copied. Good luck!

5. Steve Ahlgrim

Steve Ahlgrim Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Ahlgrim
    #5 Steve Ahlgrim, Apr 1, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Sorry for the delay in my reply. I've never advertised anything on FChat and didn't realize anyone had replied to my post. My son, saw your post and kicked my butt to get with the program.

Thank for the kind words. 3 series Ferraris are kinda my specialty. I've bought sold and judged them since they were new.

Admittedly, the awards are a bit old but the car car was retired after these shows. The owner had a modest collection and after it had been proved exceptional he moved on to campaign his other cars. It has been stored in a man cave since then and only driven to keep it fresh.

Winter Park Concours of d’Elegance - 11/15/2015 Winter Park, Florida -Best in Class -Gold Award

Cavallino Classic XXIV - 01/24/2015 West Palm Beach, Florida -Platinum Preservation Award - Platinum Concours D’Elegance Award

Celebration Exotic Car Festival - 04/12/2014 Celebration, Florida - Platinum Award

Where do you start on what a what a 41 year old car could need... The major service was done about 6 month ago. It was a full - anything needed service - belts, bearings, and as I remember valve adjustment and more. The service was done by Tim Stanford. Tim works on 328 and earlier Ferraris and has for a couple decades. There's always 5 or more 3 series cars in his shop and takes care of them like they were his own. The car needs nothing mechanical what so ever.

The car has mostly original paint but like every original paint 308 on the planet, there's a couple areas of paint checking. Not critical and no worse than when the car was shown. The glass, rubber seals, trim are all excellent. XWXs probably have less than 500 miles on them. I think they are a 2015 build. The wheel paint had gone bad. They are going to have to be repainted but that can be included in a sale.

There's a notebook of history and receipts. It's has under 15,000 miles so there isn't a lot, but enough to make you comfortable.

My contact information is in the post. Call me and I'll fill in any details. I have a Shutterfly file of pictures that I'll forward to you on request. If you like well-kept original cars, you'll love this one.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Steve

AHudson, of2worlds and SSA like this.
  6. Steve Ahlgrim

Steve Ahlgrim Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Ahlgrim
    I wonder that myself.

7. Steve Ahlgrim

Steve Ahlgrim Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Ahlgrim
    To my eye, most of the modern mid-engine cars look very similar. Exciting but not distinctive. I find the 3 series Ferraris distinctive. Nothing else looks like them. I think the carb 308 GTB is up there with the Jaguar E-type coupe and one of the most beautiful cars ever made.

Alex_Grim, markcF355, SSA and 4 others like this.
  8. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I agree with Brother Steve, whom I have know since he first started working with FAF in Tucker Ga. The 308 is the most beautiful car it never gets old. I am working with Jim Hunter and David Williams on a story about our 1976 Fiberglass 308 we bought from FAF in 1976. We traded the 1975 308gt4 towards the 308. And we knew at that moment the most beautiful car design had just happened in the Fiat era of Ferrari. And if Steve says it is good. Believe me there is nobody out there with his first hand knowledge. This car for sale is amazing.

of2worlds likes this.
  9. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    David - Juan Manuel Fantango. You and Julie need this beauty. Just go head and sent the money. There is no down side. Just a beautiful car to go in the collection. And for that money .... it is cheap. I just bought a 456 in a manual , painted Tdf Blue for a friend at an eye watering $120,000. And it still needs a major. But there are only 9 in the whole USA in a manual and Tdf blue. But I would take this car all day long. You can’t be a ferrari guy and not own a 308 at some point. Get it and Bri g it up to Asheville in May.

10. Sean O'Neill

Sean O'Neill Karting

Apr 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Sean O'Neill
    I think the 308 was at Tim Stanford's when my 77 was there. Looks good! GLWS!

11. Steve Ahlgrim

Steve Ahlgrim Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Ahlgrim
    David, thanks for the kind words.

I'm astonished no one has bought this car. You can not restore a 308 (or most modern Ferraris) and make it look original. I've judged 308s restored by the some of the best shops in the business. The cars always look restored. Carb 308s were painted with lacquer paint. Most have been repainted, and almost none repainted in lacquer. This car has mostly original paint and it is in very good condition. Proper Connolly leather hasn't been available for decades. This car has originally leather. I'm not sure proper carpet has ever been available. They're original.

Many of the engine compartment components came from different suppliers. The supplier often used different color black paint (not all blacks are the same) and different paint texture. Restoration shops usually paint all of the components with the same black paint. You don't notice the differences until a restored car is on the concours field next to an original car, then the difference is night and day.

Recently, a 308 sold publicly for a record price. The owner had paid an obscene price for the restoration. I had judged the car twice. If you didn't know what you were looking at, you would think it was a new car. If you knew what you were looking at, you'd quickly understand why it didn't score Platinum in two attempts. The car was shinny but it wasn't right.

Tired of looking at cars that were "serviced" 500 miles ago only to find out that was 7 years ago? This car had a $5,200 service just 8 months ago and probably hasn't been driven 200 miles since then.

This GTB has only been refurbished as necessary and has the look of an original car. This car is a deal, it has history, tools, books, and all, for less money than an early 911.

of2worlds likes this.
  12. Steve Ahlgrim

Steve Ahlgrim Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Ahlgrim
    Oh, it really is a 14,500 mile car!

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Did Martha Bachman like this red Ferrari? She has a good eye for the 308's!;)

14. jdondis

jdondis Rookie

Apr 29, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Joel Dondis
    Is the car available?

15. Steve Ahlgrim

Steve Ahlgrim Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Ahlgrim
    Hi Joel,

I showed the car yesterday. The prospect is working on logistics and is supposed to make an offer later today so for now, it isn't available.

Thanks for your interest.

Steve

16. jdondis

jdondis Rookie

Apr 29, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Joel Dondis
    Steve,

If he passes, I'm interested.

Best,

Joel

17. Steve Ahlgrim

Steve Ahlgrim Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Steve Ahlgrim
    I'm please to announce the 308 sold. It's going to a first time Ferrari owner who previously has been a Porsches and Alfa enthusiast.

Alex_Grim and of2worlds like this.