Latest in Radar Detection? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Latest in Radar Detection?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by lawteam, Jan 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScreaminRevs

ScreaminRevs Formula Junior

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    There are devices that do that, though not able to fry the laser, to my knowledge. Radar you can fry, but it takes a great deal of energy to do so.

Aerodynamic cars -- with no flat surface on the front (like a 1st gen Miata, say) -- painted a dark color (preferably black) will basically give you immunity from laser (i.e. they won't get a reading when targeting you coming at them).

2. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I was able to test the Radenso unit over the past 24 hrs on a heavily patrolled highway. It’s a new World devoid of excessive false alarms. I find this makes you much more attentive to the warnings you do get. I still got occasional K Band false alarms, but the days of having the V1 go off passing most modern cars seems to be over.

In my area the cops seem to only use KA Band or occasional lasers. Mostly KA.
    The Radenso gave me adequate warning in multiple scenarios. The range was probably good enough, but the V1 would alert sooner in my opinion. I also miss the directional arrows to know where to look. In most cases you have 50/50 odds because it’s always front or back when getting warnings at a distance. Either way, the unit would be much better with arrows. The GPS lockout for locations of false alarms is easy to use and should make things quieter as time goes on.

I’m going to trade one of my old V1 in soon and give the V1 gen 2 a try also.

Overall, the alerts seem adequate in most scenarios ( traffic getting shot with radar in front of you), and the lack of constant false alarms is like you’ve gone to a different planet. Recommend

MacNugget likes this.
  3. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Valentine 1 gen 2 + the V1Driver app for your phone ... adds GPS via Bluetooth and will lock out the falses — traffic speed signs, other things the V1 can’t filter. Had a cop park up the street right under the radar speed sign with his radar on the other day and the V1 saved me because it didn’t mute and showed a 2 instead of the usual 1. But you have to keep your eyes open, too.

4. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca

1st Gen Miatas are not difficult to hit at all. The hardest vehicles I’ve seen yet are Tesla Xs. Some later Gen 911s can be hard as well.

while it’s true that once you’re hit with laser it’s pretty much game over, detectors can still save your butt if you get hit going 18 over while the police may be looking for someone going 20/25 over. In that case obviously you would hopefully slow down and not give him the speed he’s looking for.

5. ScreaminRevs

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    There's no flat surface on the front of the (tiny) car, so where are they aiming that makes it so easy to get a laser reading on?

6. Cars_n_Guitars

Mar 28, 2021
    Boston
    Full Name:
    George
    When I lived in LA the best thing that worked for me was being a member of the 11-99 foundation. Works great in other states also.

7. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Instant-on laser gives immediate speed indication. How does a jammer work unless its continuously on before the laser source?

8. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Are jammers still around? Back in the day they were great, not sure if they became illegal or not, it's been a while for me.

9. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    You don’t have to aim anywhere in particular. I see them get hit all from greater than 1000 feet quite often.

10. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca

11. PCHMOTOHO

PCHMOTOHO Karting

Oct 7, 2006
    Agoura Hills Ca
    Jammers are illegal to use in California. Maybe one in 1000 police would know they are being jammed.

It would be wise to keep it continuously on. If you were just concerned about radar you could probably activate when you start picking up an indication of radar coming up but my biggest concern would be instant on Laser.

ChipG likes this.
  12. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I thought radar cant be blocked or jammed? Only laser

13. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If the car has a front license plate, that's their preferred aiming point.

14. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    That's correct. Radar uses radio frequency energy which is under the purview of the Federal Communications Commission. It is a Federal offense to jam or interfere with any radio frequency communication, including RADAR.

A Laser however uses light energy to calculate speed, and that is not covered by any law.

I have the built-in KD-40 radar detector and Laser detector/disruptor. It works as advertised.

15. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Thank you
    In australia a radar detector is illegal anyway

But wondering can you block radar?

16. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I don’t get the hesitancy of using a radar detector in places where they are illegal. Speeding 100+ is also illegal, and the fines, impact to your life, likelihood of losing your license, reckless driving charges with possible jail time, etc are FAR greater risks than ANY penalty of using a radar detector illegally. In Virginia, a radar detector penalty is a simple fix-it ticket like a broken tail light. Guess what penalty i’d rather deal with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flavio_C and Skippr1999 like this.
  17. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It's not so much the highway that concerns me, it's the secondary roads. You can be on a road where you feel going 40 mph is safe and reasonable, only to find out the the speed limit is 25 mph. And BAM, some local cop has you pulled over and writing a ticket. In Massachusetts the cost of the ticket is nothing. The problem is for the next 6 years your insurance rates increase substantially.

18. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    #68 Flavio_C, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    Every laser gun sends pulses of laser to the target (car), then these pulses are reflected back to the gun, which makes a quick calculation on the difference between the sent and the reflected pulses to determine the speed. What the laser jammer does is to insert additonal laser pulses in the middle of the reflected pulses. For example, if the laser gun produce pulses every 5ms, the laser jammer will randomly insert pulses at 2ms, 3ms, 4ms, etc., So the gun will get back a messed up sequence of pulses that are not anymore at 5ms within each other, and thus it will not be able to determine the speed and will simply display an error message.

19. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    It can and in the past there were a few radar "scramblers", but radar detection is so much easier and and reliable to do.

20. LitzDoc

LitzDoc Rookie

Feb 10, 2018
    My sister-in-law was driving from Massachusetts to South Carolina to pick up her parents during the Covid crisis. She got caught doing 92 miles an hour. And arrested. She just finished paying the fine and all related lawyers fees. The laws are very stringent there.
    There were throngs of lawyers willing to help her. It seems like a huge cottage industry for the state to make money form tourists.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

21. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Yep, it is absolutely predatory and disgusting in Virginia. A radar detector is a MUST HAVE in Virginia.

Gh21631 likes this.
  22. ScreaminRevs

Apr 4, 2004
    Chicago
    Those people she hired were not lawyers (i.e. acting on her behalf); they are officers of the court and that is their first duty. They merely liberated her money from her, in return for entering a plea and making some convoluted deal where the State confiscates her money. Btw, you never want to plead guilty or not as it automatically hands over jurisdiction to this make-believe kangaroo "court".

If they were competent counsel and truly knowledgeable in the law, the first thing they would've done is had those pigs charged with armed kidnapping. That is a federal offense, and you can read the specific statute in U.S. Code Title 18 (I don't remember the Section, but it's somewhere around 240 or 250). It carries a mandatory 10 year prison sentence. And no, ignorance of the law, especially one of this nature, is NOT an excuse.

Second thing the money-hungry, fraudulent dopes she hired should've done is had a criminal trial in a judicial hearing, NOT an administrative one where the offender's Constitutional rights are completely swept under the rug. Your in-law would've walked fine-free, we could've (and should've) had two corrupt govt employees getting raped in the big house, and there would be case precedent.

23. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    Or just dodnt drive 92 mph?

JohnnyTT likes this.
  24. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    A very short cited and dismissive comment. The speed limit is 70mph, so going a mere 22mph over is worth JAIL TIME? 92mph is the average flow of traffic on I95.

Have you never driven on I95? Most cars, minivans, Camry’s, etc average 90-95mph on thousand mile journeys.

The actions of the state of Virginia are predatory, despicable, and are a reason why I moved out of that state. I’ll happily pay my taxes in another state that does not seek to lock its citizens up every time they get on the road.

A predatory violation of ones constitutional rights is the normative state of affairs in Virginia. It is quite possibly one of the worst states in the Union.

Bundy, papou, Flavio_C and 1 other person like this.
  25. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    My wife got nailed speeding last year in Ft Lauderdale. Had her plead not guilty and request a trial.

Thanks to WuFlu, we finally got to adjudication this year. Zoom call w 15 other felons. Charges dropped to a parking offense, think it cost $90 and no points no record. Still BS tax collection but...

One of the few benefits of the Chinese virus... use it.

Bundy and Reacherman1022 like this.