Starting problem and then 2 hours later it starts | FerrariChat

Starting problem and then 2 hours later it starts

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jay Hova, Jan 29, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay Hova

Jay Hova Rookie

Jun 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jay Hova
    Starting Problem: Drove my 2015 458 Spider 30 miles. Parked at restaurant. Two hours later, it wouldn't start. All the lights lit up on the dash and no turnover at all. Tried about 5 more times over then next 10 minutes. Nothing changed - no turnover at all. Called the tow truck. Tow truck shows up 2 hours later, and just for yucks, I tried to start it. Turned right over and started, as normal!
    I told the tow truck to take it anyway to a dealer to check it out. Now waiting for an update.

This is my first problem with my 458 since purchase in July 2020. Put 2,500 miles on it since (now 11,000) then without an issue. I keep it on a battery tender when garaged.

Anyone else with this experience?

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    bad battery cells. few threads in FF/lusso forum

3. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I have experienced the faulty battery situation with the last 3 Ferraris I’ve owned. I just got a new F8 spider and I’m sure I will be replacing the battery after a year or so. The battery’s Ferrari uses are pure s##t. Best , Kirk.

Napoli, MANDALAY and Jay Hova like this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Braille B7548 or Antigravity H6 60Ah is the fix. The latter will need a CTek lithium charger and an adapter to plug it in as per usual. Battery is fairly easy to change on a 458.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GT2goneF and Jay Hova like this.
  5. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    May. It be battery... did you really push hard on the brake? Sometimes the brake feel is wrong...

SV

docf likes this.
  6. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    As stated above, I think bad cells. If the dealer says the same and you don't want to deal w/ changing it yourself, tell them you will send them a new battery to install. They will charge you double for one! I've been trough this w/ my Maserati, which has the same **** battery. Battery was always on a tender since car purchased new in '17, but it was kept at a vacation home. The outlet in the garage crapped out and battery died soon after. I bought and sent the new Battery to Masi for an install, because they are fn heavy and it's very "awkward" weight to lift out the dead one from deep in the trunk and then put in a new one. Let somebdy else pull their back out! LOL

Jay Hova likes this.
  7. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Agree with @Il Co-Pilota . This is advice from the ones who know. I credit @RayJohns as well. Separate $1500-2500 for the battery.

IloveGT, Il Co-Pilota and RayJohns like this.
  8. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Braille i48CS, this is the way.

Ray

Jay Hova and GT2goneF like this.
  9. Jay Hova

Jay Hova Rookie

Jun 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jay Hova
    Yes, I really stomped on the brake.

SVCalifornia likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Get one of the three batteries suggested. The Braille B7548 is the easiest and cheapest solution, and while not as high performance as its Lithium counterpart, will still enable the car to sit a few weeks. It is by far the strongest group 48 AGM on the market and 100% plug and play.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    My 15 had the same prob. New battery plus inc. pressure on the brake on starting solved the prob.. I did change the battery charger from stock to Cytec to the 7 series

12. Jay Hova

Jay Hova Rookie

Jun 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jay Hova
    Update: New battery and still intermittent starting problems. Replaced brake sensor: still have intermittent problems. The dealer mentioned that diagnostics are still pointing to the brake sensor, so the problem must be between the sensor and the control unit. The dealer has had the car for a week now.

13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    What battery did you install?

My advice would be to buy yourself a good digital multi meter and start checking the battery voltage prior to starting. If it's under 12.50 volts, then charge it up a bit (to more like 12.68 to 12.75 volts) before attempting to fire up the car and see if the issue largely goes away. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the OEM battery provides is barely capable of properly powering all the electronics correctly on the 458.

Once again - and I know I must sound like a broken record on Ferrarichat with this - my advice is install a Braille i48CS. It's not just that Lithium Ion is a superior technology, but the individual cell voltage is higher as well. This means the cars electronics are getting slightly more voltage (and therefore a bit of a buffer during starting, when the starter motor draws a lot of amps from the entire system and produces a slight voltage drop). I don't recall the exact voltage of the i48CS off hand, but I just came in from working on my Toyota (which has the Braille G30 battery in it) and even after cracking the starter 8 or 9 times (for 10 to 12 second durations per crank - for conducting a compression test on my cylinders), the battery was still showing 13.26 volts (normally it's more like 13.80 volts).

Your Ferrari has a lot of electronics; electronics need stable power. I can tell you from first hand experience, the moment I switched to the Braille i48CS in my 458 Italia, every single one of my "strange starting warnings" and odd ball electrical issues vanished into thin air.

So, something to think about, while the dealer is over there on a wild goose chase.

Good luck!

Ray

14. Jay Hova

Jay Hova Rookie

Jun 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jay Hova
    The dealer installed the battery, not an Lith-Ion. They found a problem with the brake sensor, but a new sensor was installed, so they think it is a downstream problem from the sensor. They opened a ticket with Ferrari to replace a $5K part. Now waiting for the authorization (requested yesterday April 6) and part (hopefully available).
    Thanks!

15. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Sounds like they are using a swaptronics to find the issue...

Has anyone bought a digital volt meter yet?

Ray

16. Jay Hova

Jay Hova Rookie

Jun 20, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jay Hova
    Seems like it