Help with External Color | FerrariChat

Help with External Color

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by mrshish, Apr 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mrshish

mrshish Rookie

Apr 3, 2021
    Hi guys,

I'm considering picking up my first Ferrari this summer and need some input. I plan to drive it on a semi regular basis when the weather is nice so don't plan to keep it as a garage queen. I like the Cali/Cali T/Porto since they aren't as aggressive looking as the more race inspired Ferrari's. Ideally I want to enjoy driving it but not be showy, nothing wrong with that of course just want to stay under the radar a bit.

I'm debating between red or something more subtle like a silver or grey. On one hand, I like the silver/grey since it's classy and subdued but on the other hand, I've never had a Ferrari and it's hard to beat classic red/tan.

So my question is how much attention does your red Cali/T/Porto get?

If you have a non-red, I'm guessing other than car guys, most people don't really notice it. Fair statement?

I know location matters, in Miami no one would notice but in the back woods of Alabama any Ferrari would be unusual. For reference I'm in Denver.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm looking forward to joining the ranks soon.

2. DavidPutty

DavidPutty Karting

Jan 19, 2020
    Del Boca Vista
  3. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    My Rosso Fiorano Porto gets some attention, for sure, but ironically it's not the number one attention-getter of cars I've owned. That honor goes to my old Lotus Elise, which was a similar color (Canyon Red). It will get attention from car lovers, and from people who just recognize the Ferrari logos. Just how much attention would also depend upon which red you get, IMO.

Personally, I'd get whatever color you want the most, unless you're super concerned with resale value.

4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I will not be popular for saying this, but I know very few whom did not get tired of their grey Ferrari.

It is fine that you want to keep it subtle, but keep in mind that the cars are already very subtle by design. In other words, silver T or Porto might as welk be a Merc or Aston.

Now there are some of the bright non-metallic colours which some consider sporty, such as Rosso Corsa and Giallo Modena. Bht be aware that those completely flatten all curves and make cars with fairly soft lines look bloated, or like a bar of soap.

Some of the really good reds fjr the T and Porto are the following.

Rosso Cali
    Rosso Fiorano
    Rosso Fuoco
    Rosso Berlinetta
    Rosso Magma
    Rosso Coburn
    Rosso Maranello

Those are some of the very nice and elegant reds that really fits both the T and Porto.

With these colours you can easily keep a low profile, but still retain some exotic flair.

Just think twice before choosing Rosso Corsa, Rosso Scuderia and Rosso Mugello. Not exactly the colours the car was designed around.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    alex likes this.
  6. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Our nero Cali 30 does not get noticed too much. I think gray metallic, white and black are great colors for the California. I've also seen one in melanzane (a very dark purple) with a sabbia (sand) interior that is gorgeous. We have a cuoio interior. I don't understand why someone would choose a black interior for a convertible. Black leather + hot summer sun = intense discomfort!

7. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    I was afraid of that problem with the California sun,but I haven't had any issue with my Portofino. Black Naugahyde (1967 Corvette) was awful in the sun,but leather doesn't get that hot. A friend with a C7 convertible with a black leather interior said she had no issue with heat,so I took a chance with my Portofino and I have no regrets.

alex likes this.
  8. Cali T HS

Cali T HS Rookie

Sep 12, 2020
    Zurich Switzerland
  9. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    That's a stunning color combo!

10. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Rosso Fiorano is a very attractive red variant, IMHO ;) And here you can compare it to silver/grey. I love my wife, but I’ll take the Rosso every time! Oh, and it attracts quite a bit of attention everywhere it goes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    First of all, if you do not want to attract attention do not get a Ferrari. I had a 911 before my Ferrari Portofino. The 911 never got much attention but the Ferrari gets a lot of attention every time I take it out. Get used to it or get another car!

Like you, I wanted to stay below the radar, not attract too much attention and hence rejected every shade of red. Did not work; plenty of attention.

I have a Porto in California Azzurro with a crema interior and a black roof. It looks really beautiful in the sun. Not only attention but I have received quite a few compliments on the colour. It shines but does not shout. Too many people expect a Ferrari to be red, hence everything but red stands out in a very different way. More chique, more taste, does not shout "look at me" that much.

alex likes this.
  12. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    One thing that is worth keeping in mind, is the fact that where you live matters a lot.

Where I am, everyone is very relaxed about cars, and while people look, attention in the sense of contact with others are pretty rare. Does not matter if it's a Pista Spider with a stripe, a Rosso Cali 488 Spider, a bright green Merc GTR, an Azzuro Meditaraine 250 GTE or Nero Stellatto Lusso. There's the occasional nod, a question or two, and that's about it. Never see many with cameras or the like.

In other places people are much more intrusive, confrontational, curious and up.front about their interest. In other places I've been, the UK for instance, people can be VERY rude and unpleasant to deal with in such a matter.

A Ferrari will attract some attention, but cars like the T, Porto and Lusso are definitely not among the worst. It also has to do with the owner. Some owners manage to attract a lot of attention to themselves. I've seen people almost linger by their car as they fuel, seeing if anyone is looking etc. If you try to make eye contact with people, or in other ways attract attention to yourself, that is of course part of it too.

My experience is that the less I think about it, the less people around me seem to notice me, as I don't notice them.

Just get the colour you like and let the world turn. After a while, those who live in your area has gotten used to the car, and all things considered, a T or Porto is not a straight piped V12. The worst thing that can happen is that every time you see your car, you wish you had chosen differently. The attention you get used to very quick, but the colour annoys you every damn day.

alex likes this.
  13. JHNurse

JHNurse Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2021
    Wyoming
    Full Name:
    Andy King
    Cali T HS likes this.
  14. Pro Bono

Pro Bono Rookie

Aug 30, 2020
    I've looked at a lot of Californias, and I've concluded that the best colours are Grigio Silverstone and Tour de France Blue, though the Rosso Fiorano looks good as well. Nero is OK, but a bit boring.

Lighter colours emphasise its rear end, and make it look bulky, and although it's a classic colour I don't think Rosso Corsa (or `retail red' as I believe it's known in the trade) suits it for that reason.

Bearing in mind it's a convertible, and will be seen with the roof down, the interior is important as well. I personally prefer lighter colours for the upholstery, ideally without those contrasting stripes on the seats, which look too fussy.

And although I'll not make myself popular I really don't think coloured calipers suit it, either. Most cars in Silverstone or TdF have yellow calipers, but the car looks much better - and less shouty - with aluminium calipers.

15. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I got tired pretty quickly of the attention I was getting in a rosso corsa Ferrari ... kids driving with one hand at 80 mph on the freeway while filming the car with the other hand, hopped up Subarus with fart can exhausts trying to bull their way through traffic to get next to my car, guys on motorcycles revving it up and roaring past me, etc. I found that grigio titanio was a nice compromise, people who knew what a Ferrari was appreciated it, but it didn't seem to draw as much attention. My current Cali T is nero daytona and I enjoy being a little bit under the radar with that, too. Both my cars have cuoio interiors. I thought the Cali 30 looked awesome in the titanio, and the Cali T looks nice in black, too. If you do go for black, the metallic black seems easier to care for, does not show the dirt and swirls as much as the regular nero but still looks black from a few feet away.

I'm sure it's different depending on where you live but nothing shouts Ferrari like red.

16. ohmygosh

ohmygosh Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Amir Goshtai
    Just got our first Ferrari a few weeks ago in the UK, a Tour de France blue Portofino for the same reason as you - wanting to be more understated.

Firstly it looks incredible and I’ve never owned a car that gets so much attention, almost all of it incredibly positive and friendly. It’s a pleasure to have and drive.

We are delighted with our choice.

17. TifosiConch

TifosiConch Karting

Jan 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Paul Maurer
    I started out dead set on Giallo Modena for my Cali T but couldn't find one equipped with all the goodies. I bought Grigio Silverstone and fully intended to wrap it yellow, but when I finally saw a yellow one I actually preferred the grey, as yellow made the rear end look fat, as Co-Pilota notes. I was still rather "meh" on my Grigio until I recently had it clay buffed and ceramic polished. I thought it was shiny when I got it, boy was I wrong. I parked it at my fave wine bar after the polish, it got lots of attention and photos. I like it a whole lot more now....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pro Bono likes this.
  18. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    WOW! Your car is beautiful! A few months back I saw a grigio titanio Cali T with a grey interior at Ferrari Lake Forest. That is such a sophisticated color combo.