F8 - In line for F8 spider | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 In line for F8 spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SeattleStew, Mar 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    It looks nice regardless. I am so used to see the emblems that without it, it looks like a completely different car. Unique indeed.

2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Have you opted to get the outside plastic painted? The F8 Spider has a ton of nasty and cheap looking plastic outside, so either CF or gloss black paint is kind of a must.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GT2goneF likes this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Doubt it will be that late. Probably Q1 or Q2 22.

Where I am cars that are currently configured, get a build slot in the Oct. Nov or Dec range. 18 months seem odd, but I suppose it depends if your dealer is pushing others in, in front of you.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. dekmaster

dekmaster Rookie

Nov 24, 2017
    They said that’s what makes it special. :)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. dekmaster

dekmaster Rookie

Nov 24, 2017
    My 488 Spider had 1 option. The wheels. But I wasn’t a fan of the wheels option for the F8. So I’ll just powder these matte black.

488 Spider pic... Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. SeattleStew

SeattleStew Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I didn’t know painting the interior plastic was an option until I was specing this car. Kinda wish I had known for my 812SF cause I would have done everything in a satin black instead of the fake aluminum. Since this is for my wife, she doesn’t really care. So I’ll save the money and put it towards my cars lol.

My dealer is estimating late Q1 early Q2 of 22 for the delivery. I figure it’ll be in that timeframe, which is absolutely perfect for me. Hopefully works out that way. Really as long as it’s in 2022 it works well

7. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I think he was referring to exterior plastic trims. However, you can paint anything you want, as long as you are willing to pay for it. I chose to paint my air intake splitters in Nero to match the roof. Truth to be told. I would have saved the money and had it done here for a fraction of what I was charged by Ferrari. So if you still want to change the color on any trim (exterior or interior), I strongly suggest to do it in a reputable shop for a lot less.

I am currently having all my exterior plastic trims painted Nero.

Chizz likes this.
  8. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I didn’t mind the satin finished plastic on the exterior. Wrapping them to be gloss or painting is easy enough though. I also did misread his post and for some reason saw interior.

9. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Can you explain a little more about the process you went through to find the right paint shop, color matching, and what you are painting?

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes, I was talking about the exterior parts.
    You cannot wrap some of the most obvious parts unfortunately. The insert in the S-duct and the air vents in the engine hatch for example.
    The problem is that the plastic they use don't keep a consistent colour. Over a short period it starts to look like faded plastic with blemishes. Think 80's Toyota bumpers. A really bad deal overall imo. You can wrap the side skirts and the diffuser, but you are stuck with all the rest, and there's a lot of it.
    Seeing what the total price of the car is etc. I just think it's worth doing it nice.

GT2goneF, Chizz and SeattleStew like this.
  11. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Agreed. I was going to say the same thing. There is a limit to what you can wrap and there is also the durability factor. It just doesn't work and it turns out to be more expensive in the end. Like you said, if you are going to do it, do it nice.

12. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    #37 GT2goneF, Apr 3, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Absolutely. Usually, you will find reputable paint shops that know how to paint plastics through people of forums, auto detailing businesses or people you may even know. For example, I know in Miami area. Wheels Boutique provide an all around car care. They sort of provide a concierge service. They will take care and sub contract services to do what you may want.

In my case, I have a car guy that also provides a concierge service. I tell him what I want and he gets it done. It all comes with an additional cost, usually not much, sometimes nothing at all (depends on the request) but he removes you out of the equation and acts as your POA.

He has done my CLS 63S, My GT2 and my GLE 63S (also my kid's cars CLA and C). For the first three there were personal requests. The CLS was taken for paint correction and ceramic. In addition needed a door paint job for a scratch. He took it to the paint shop and noticed he didn't like how it came out so he returned the job and had it fixed at no additional cost and I did not have to deal with any headaches, then did his part. The GT2 was also taken for paint correction, ceramic, PPF and tint job. It also needed some maintenance, tire changes and replacing the belt (maintenance). He had a flat bed take it to the dealership for the maintenance and tire changes then did his thing. The GLE was taken from the dealer for paint correction, window tint, ceramic PPF and I wanted to paint the all emblems, rear spoiler, door handles and front grill in black to match the midnight package. He does it all and I just get the back back as I want it.

My F8 has already had the windows tinted and the paint has been corrected. Currently, getting exhaust, lowering springs and wheels installed. Afterwards, it will get all plastic trims painted in Nero to match the roof and air splitters. He will disassemble the front lip and front bumper (cheap grayish black) trim, s duct, side skirts and rear diffuser. Color matching will be done according to Ferrari color code. They usually do a part first as a trial to see whether additional changes have to be made. Once they are sure, they will paint all parts by a painter that he trusts. I have also asked him to pain the side markers the same body color. I do not like them and therefore, they will be made to match Euro spec-like fenders. Afterwards he will apply the PPF (Suntek Ultra) and Ceramic (C Quartz Reserve). I am still considering painting the engine bay trims as well in Nero. Not sure yet.

I would look for around your area for a reputable Auto care/detail shop. Usually they know the best car paint shops, since they know about paint quality and paint related technical aspects. Just make sure that you specify what it is for. Painting the car body is not the same as painting plastics. They require different treatment, primers and paint types. Not everyone knows how to paint plastic. Hope this helps.

SeattleStew, Chizz and AD211 like this.
  13. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    absolutely awesome. Thank you! This is why I enjoy F-chat so much. Good people.

GT2goneF likes this.
  14. Hunter911

Hunter911 Karting

Mar 8, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Looking forward to seeing your car complete - when do you think it'll all be done? Do you have the exhaust in hand yet? I've ordered the Novitec valveless as well, still waiting on it (and my car actually).

GT2goneF likes this.
  15. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    It is already installed.

16. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Presume 4 weeks. Stay tuned

17. Hunter911

Hunter911 Karting

Mar 8, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Curious if you've heard it? Sound clips of that setup with stock cats are hard to come by!

4 weeks - I hope to have mine PPF'd and on the road by then as well.

GT2goneF likes this.
  18. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    I heard it on a video. We all know that videos do justice to the exhaust sounds; but in addition, the video I received was from an iPhone to an Android, which comes in 3gp format and therefore, loses all video and audio quality. I have to rely on the service manager's opinion. He says that it sounds very good, louder than stock but not obnoxiously louder. It has great pitch and sound. I will be heading over to see it next week, hopefully then, I can take a high quality video.

AD211 and Hunter911 like this.
  19. SeattleStew

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 10, 2020
    In the rain
    Full Name:
    Stew
    I'm curious to hear the exhaust as well. One thing the F8 certainly needs is a bit more sound.

20. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Hopefully, I will find out next week. As long as it doesn't go to sound "limp" mode after cold start, I'll be happy. I loved the cold start but that lasts a minute or so and then "poof", I am nearly driving a Prius. If my Novitec eliminates that, I will be happy. If not, will have to consider sport catalytic system.

SeattleStew likes this.
  21. Hunter911

Hunter911 Karting

Mar 8, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    That's great to hear - a video clip would be awesome if you can swing it.

Apologies for thread derailment, guys.

22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

? But you are going to wrap your painted parts anyway aren't you ?

GT2goneF likes this.
  23. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Absolutely in PPF not vinyl.

24. FLU

FLU Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    Flu
    Has anybody successfully wrapped the exterior plastic parts on the F8? Recently, Ferrari seem to be using a type of plastic that is anti-stick. Meaning you can't PPF it or wrap it.

25. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Once painted, the paint will be he new surface and it will allow PPF application. The plastic being used by Ferrari is the same plastic used in Hondas and Toyotas in the late 80's and 90's. Cheap as hell but durable and pretty resistant.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app