DE 458 Challenge | FerrariChat

DE 458 Challenge

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by 400exr1, Apr 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 400exr1

400exr1 Rookie

Apr 3, 2021
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Blake
    All,

Picked up a 458 challenge that I plan to run here in the Dallas area. Would love to connect with anyone with experience running the 458 for track days. I don't plan on using regular trackside support. Probably do a couple of days of trackside setup. Converting to fuel pump fuel fill, steel rotors, running stickers for now. Any guidance is appreciated!

2. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Following. Just starting this process myself, but not in TX. Car is in NV. I am sticking with the dry break, already converted to steel rotors.

ewright likes this.
  3. FCD

FCD Karting

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany

In the Ferrari Club Germany Racing series, the vehicles are allowed to drive with steel brakes. We have several 458 and 488 Challenge driving the brakes from TM Performens and are very satisfied!

https://tmperformanceusa.com/product/ferrari-458-brake-rotors-and-pads-full-set/

ewright likes this.
  4. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    Subscribing to this as well, I'm planning on taking a similar plunge myself.
    Has anyone considered running Hoosier R7s with softer springs, simply for the increased number of usable heat cycles?

5. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Hoosiers and the Michelins require a substantially different set up then the Pirelli simply installing softer springs will not work. The Michelins and the Hoosiers require about half the camber the Pirelli runs or you will have catastrophic tire failure.

CarbonDan likes this.
  6. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    Absolutely, I didn't mean to minimize the extent of adjustment required. But is it safe to say that Hoosier R7s can be fitted to the car, assuming proper setup changes conducted by an experienced race team/tech, and acheive reasonable performance and results, with the understanding that it will be substantially slower than the OE slicks?
    This is what I have difficulty getting to the bottom of with these factory race car options (Be it 458 challenge, gt3 cup, gt4 clubsport, supertrofeo, etc):
    Assuming proper (and potentially complicated) suspension and alignment adjustments, can these factory race cars be run with Hoosier R7s with solid feel, response, and impeccable safety characteristics, or is there something about these factory race car setups generally that make running hoosiers a bad idea no matter how you slice it?
    Assuming I'm willing to give up overall performance.

I currently track a 2018 GT3 and a 2017 viper ACR Extreme with v720 tires. I want to continue tracking heavily, but also feel I need to take the next step up in terms of safety. In my mind it seems difficult to beat the safety of one of these factory race cars with the proper cage, fire suppression, isolated fuel cell, nets, etc etc etc. My goal is to have a safe car to track at DE events, while keeping consumable cost down (accepting overall speed will be decreased as well), while also accepting that a ferrari race car is never going to be an economical propositon (and I'm ok with that).

7. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    With a proper set up you should get 4-5 good days form a set of Pirelli tires at the ridge. I can connect you to several drivers that currently run the ridge.
    Put some steel brakes and the Rabestos ST43 pad on it and your running costs are not going to be much different then any dedicated track/racecar that is comparable in lap times.

8. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    That's about the greatest news I've heard yet! 4 usable days out of a set of tires is enough lifespan for me to scratch the entire hoosier work-around. That's about what I get from my other tires already anyways.
    I run the girosteel rotors and ST43 pads on my Viper ACR-E and they are sensational.

9. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    I would recommend the same brakes on the Challenge car.

10. Oldiron

Oldiron Rookie

Feb 2, 2020
    Tomball, TX
    Full Name:
    John Refalo
    Following. Also running a 458 Challenge for track days. Does anyone have any experience getting the data aquisition system to download?