1977 308GTB 21291 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

1977 308GTB 21291

Discussion in '308/328' started by jgmblair, Jan 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dancia

Dancia Rookie

May 15, 2015
    Great buy!
    Beautiful configuration with that colour and bumper.
    Have fun!
    From Vancouver Island.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Peter likes this.
  2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Of course...good find, and welcome!!!

3. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair

Thanks! Was very cold here this week -38 celcius so spent quite a bit of time in the shop;)

4. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Leak down was great, will attempt to change the stem seals this weekend, slowly making a parts list as I go. My 17 yr old son has gone missing! My wife said her name was Sarah. He promised me he’d have some time this weekend to help out! We shall see.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Peter likes this.
  5. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Well things took an unfortunate turn as I found 4 valves with enough play to make me decide to remove the heads. Heads came off with no issues and I’m extremely fortunate to have a very close friend who owns a 3rd generation machine shop. I have done a few motors with him and I drive him nuts;) I like getting my hands dirty so he lets me do the cleaning and I’ve graduated to grinding the valves. Found the source of the oil leak at the crank!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    That’s an Elring gasket and looks good enough to reuse. Strange that someone had the heads off recently but didn’t change the guides? In case you haven’t already heard, the guide holes in the heads are not very concentric with the seats so it is better to fit guide liners or fit undersize guides which can be machined concentric with the seats. Many machine shops will have the K-line or similar 8mm relining kit. Mine were done in Ottawa by a small one-man shop. If your exhaust valves are sodium-filled I have new solid ones in 21-4N for £10.

7. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Thanks Derek. My buddy is pretty busy, stopped by there today and hope to have the heads on his bench later next week. Hope to have more info once we disassemble things.

8. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair

9. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    Thank you!
    This is the chassis number.
    The body number is stamp on the top of the coils bracket. ;)

10. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
  11. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Getting close with the heads, they are cleaned and will start to measure things next week. Found my son ;) he removed the fuel tanks and all the hoses, I can’t stress how important it is to replace all the fuel lines on these cars, the crossover hose was brittle and cracked as well as a few other hard to reach hoses. Exhaust is out for ceramic coating as well as stripping of the valve and timing covers that someone had powder coated white.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Lotto and JuLiTrO like this.
  12. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Funny how life can get in the way of your hobby! Finally back to working on the car and made some great progress. Interesting find on the heads, after a few trips thru the cleaner it appeared they were very different with one being very shiny and the other looking like it was the original head. Found a receipt from F of Washington from 2011 showing a bunch of head work and reference to metal debris in the oil pan but no mention of the head being replaced. I had mentioned a previous owner had the valve covers and timing covers powder coated and I had them stripped back to the factory bare aluminum and again, one is very smooth cast and the other very rough! Ended up doing 8 liners and one guide, replaced the stem seals and adjusted the valves.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JuLiTrO likes this.
  13. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Needed a few shims to get the valves with spec so called the local Volvo dealer and spoke to the parts manager, explained what I was doing and he laughed and said come down and I’ll solve your problem. He had a box of shims he said have been in the back room for 10 years and haven’t been touched! Best part was he declined my offer to pay for them!

dinogt4guy, derekw and JuLiTrO like this.
  14. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    My son has been surprisingly willing to get his hands dirty, this is priceless as I haven’t spent this much time with him for the past few years. We split the case to continue along with replacing all the gaskets, probably unnecessary but made doing the cam drive bearings a bit easier and replacing the front cover gasket, also did the shift shaft o-rings. Will put things back together this week, will need a few more parts, but moving along nicely.

15. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
    In Lou Trottier's YouTube series "Project 308" he mentions that he had one shiny head and cam cover and one dull head and cam cover. He said that he learned that they came from the factory that way.

16. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
  17. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

It looks like you guys are doing a beautiful job! You can refer to my thread "Restoration of 21039". My only suggestion is to ditch the truck mirrors for the originals.

18. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    That’s interesting I wonder if someone here might comment on that?

19. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    Thank you, will take a look tonight.

20. FiatAbarth850

FiatAbarth850 Karting

Aug 2, 2020
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Full Name:
    Bill H.
  21. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Same on my GT4. One had crisp Ferrari script and the other rough edged and pitted.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. jgmblair

jgmblair Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB Canada
    Full Name:
    Jeff Blair
    George Vosburgh likes this.
  23. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    OMG!!!

24. JuLiTrO

JuLiTrO Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2017
    Full Name:
    Julio Saiz
    I have a very subjetive theory about those mirrors. I am convinced those are the rigth mirrors for a USA unit
    Theory is based on the backwards position of mirrors in USA units which make the california mirrors useless

25. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

It could be, I've never cared for them on any of the models. Also even in the PR stuff from Ferrari with North American spec cars, you will not find these mirrors.