Cure for wind noise? | FerrariChat

Cure for wind noise?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Jim K., Feb 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jim K.

Jim K. Rookie

Oct 31, 2013
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Jim Krzyzewski
    Last summer while driving my 2012 458, with the windows closed, A/C on, highway speed; the upper left hand corner of the driver's door window developed a whistle, i.e. air leak. I'm looking for suggestions on how to cure this. Replace the weather strip? door adjustment? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    I would first lubricate the window seals to see if that would help with the air leak. My approach has always try the least expensive option first. I've used Sonax GummiPfleger (Rubber Protectant), 303 makes a similar product or my favorite Sil-Glyde.

Sil-Glyde is made by a number of companies. I've purchased it at Napa and also purchased another brand on Amazon.com. Sil-Glyde can be a bit messy but I find works well to protect and enhance the life of gaskets and seals. I always use this on my vehicle window and door seals when I store them for the winter. Recently my refrigerator/freeze doors stopped sealing. A thin layer of Sil-Glyde brought the gaskets back to life.

3. Jim K.

Jim K. Rookie

Oct 31, 2013
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Jim Krzyzewski
    Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try. By the way my upright freezer could use a treatment as well. Thx. Best.

4. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm not sure if this is the case with your car, but figured I would try.
    When I first got my car, I used to leave the passenger side window down an inch or two, to pass the charger wire into the cabin.
    Then out of nowhere (when the weather got a little colder), I realized that the passenger side had a air leaking wind noise. I decided to test it out and shut the window fully when I parked it (and pass the wire under the door like the manual states). After a week or so, the noise went away! I figured that the window pressing on the seal deformed it ever so slightly creating a gap (unable to see anything wrong with the seal). After the window was left fully up, the seal apparently went back to the proper shape and fixed the problem. It's been noise free for the past 2 years!
    Hopefully that's your problem as well

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Condition the rubber as suggested with Sonax a few times. It's a car with some years on it. This stuff dries out if you don't treat it properly
    Then disconnect the battery and reset according to your owners manual. This will ensure that the windows close fully after the door is shut.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Jim K.

Jim K. Rookie

Oct 31, 2013
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Jim Krzyzewski

7. Jim K.

Jim K. Rookie

Oct 31, 2013
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Jim Krzyzewski
    I've always run the battery conditioner wire under the door so I won't be as lucky as you were. Thanks for sharing your experience.

up4speed likes this.
  8. Jim K.

Jim K. Rookie

Oct 31, 2013
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Jim Krzyzewski

9. Jim K.

Jim K. Rookie

Oct 31, 2013
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Jim Krzyzewski
    Making sure that the window is all the way closed has possibilities. Thanks for the tip, I'll try it.

10. Jim K.

Jim K. Rookie

Oct 31, 2013
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Jim Krzyzewski
    It's been two months since I posted my problem but I want say "thanks" to the guys that gave me great advice on how to correct my wind noise problem. Last week I got the car out of winter storage and applied Sil-Glyde to the weather strips (two applications), disconnected the battery and re-set the window closing parameters per the manual. PERFECT! Window is totally quiet at "highway" speed. Again, thanks to my advisers!!

Eric C, Rexcat458, up4speed and 2 others like this.
  11. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    It is always welcomed to hear that recommendations work. Thanks for updating

12. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Did it leave any residue on the window?
    In the past, I put a little Gummipfledge on the seals of my GTI to quiet the seals, and a few years later, I still get residue on the glass!

13. Jim K.

Jim K. Rookie

Oct 31, 2013
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Full Name:
    Jim Krzyzewski
    It left a little film but it wiped off easily. We'll see how often I have to do that. By the way, my upright freezer has never had such a good seal - - - takes two hands .to open it. Sil -Glyde does the trick.

14. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015

Hi everyone, I am having wind noise in my driver side window. Can direct me to the "re-set the window closing parameters" mentioned in the "Jim K" attached quote? Thanks.