The F50 Thread | Page 118 | FerrariChat

The F50 Thread

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by amenasce, Dec 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Yes I'm equally confused...I think the original question on instagram (surely) referred to if the body panels where newly laid up? There isn't any honeycomb in the body panels as far as I'm aware..it would be much thicker, correct?

I do like the blue exposed carbon, but personally would have the original body panels kept as is and make a mold of that (laser scan to avoid damage to the panel if possible). Drive around with the new carbon panels in whichever colour I like and that's it.

2. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I doubt pre preg would have been used on the outer panels back then, more than likely vac formed rather than just hand lay up. The chassis will probably have been pre preg though by the early 90s.

I imagine they used pre preg as it would provide a better skin finish to overlay the clear coat onto.

Not sure why people are flapping though, easy enough to re paint in the future and no one would be any the wiser anyway.

3. marko.urbac

marko.urbac Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    #2928 marko.urbac, Mar 31, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    I am in the composites business and, as far as I understood the whole thing, I am afraid they sanded off all the Rosso Corsa paint to the bare carbon beneath, cleaned everything from dust particles etc. and started laminating with fresh prepreg carbon all over the existing body panels.

I wonder how the old carbon fiber and epoxy resin from the original laminate behaved in the oven/autoclave and if they had to use some kind of glue in between the old laminate and the new layers of prepreg.

Pagani usually uses a 450 g/m2 6K T300 4x4 TWILL so I suppose we are talking about a similar prepreg, maybe a bit lighter/thinner because of reduced gaps between body panels.

Of course everything clear-coated in blue at the end. What a shame they haven't left it in its original carbon color, like the famous Enzo or the 360 Challenge Stradale.

4. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    They confirmed on Instagram 285 g/m2 prepreg, as I suspected.

5. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I wonder what it will cost to put this F50 back to factory spec?

Camlet1, marko.urbac and Prancing 12 like this.
  6. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    +1

I like the exposed carbon, but not on an F50.

Johnny_Bravo likes this.
  7. futurelegendyyc

Jul 23, 2019
    how will the value of this f50 be affected

8. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    IMO, similar value to a comparable car, less the cost to return it to stock.

joe sackey likes this.
  9. marko.urbac

Jan 31, 2015
    Croatia
    Basically now it is impossible to bring back the body panels to their original thickness because the old and new 'layers' are laminated together. The only way would be to sand the clear coat again to the bare carbon and repaint everything back to Rosso Corsa but you'd never get the same print-through effect as on the original. You'd maybe see some carbon through the paint, if applied correctly and thin enough, but there is a difference in the weave of the fabric. Now they used a 4x4 TWILL, just like Pagani or Koenigsegg. Ferrari back then used a PLAIN carbon. Even today Ferrari uses a PLAIN carbon for the carbon-look surfaces (inside and outside).

I really hope the owner has a second F50 which he kept stock.

10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    This.

Marcel Massini

marko.urbac likes this.
  11. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    I acknowledge the considerable work and cost involved in this project. I also acknowledge the freedom of the owner to choose. But as a very proud owner of an F50 (who is obsessive about its care and originality to the point of madness) I can't think of anything worse.

12. simpen

simpen Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2016
    I believe with the described method of curing new layers of carbon fibre on top of the original, there is no possible method of returning to factory spec. It will certainly be valued by the owner and probably stay unique

13. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    And therefore, prohibitively expensive to return to original condition, so the pool of future buyers will be very limited. I'm sure the current owner is happy with his car, so perhaps he doesn't care at all, but the question I was answering was with regards to effect on value... To put it more simply, another way - negatively.

14. ghost

ghost F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Singapore
    I love Rosso Barchetta on an F50. It's just such an elegant color.

This specimen in particular, looks to be exceptionally well preserved, especially given the 10,000 kilometers covered.

Given that it is at Joe Macari, is it for sale? Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may be able to share.

FerrfanFL likes this.
  15. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    It was recently sold, according to their Instagram page.

Video of the car (fitted with a Tubi exhaust system):

Johnny_Bravo likes this.
  16. MirageJHU

MirageJHU Rookie

Aug 18, 2010
    CA
    Full Name:
    Annand
    Crazy to me the sound they get from just the post cat Tubi

looks like the car has stock headers/collectors versus the cars with the full tubi straight through..

17. Karimsaid

Karimsaid Formula Junior
    Regional Sponsor

Oct 2, 2014
    # 107125 a couple of days ago after being reunited with its original exhaust.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The complex mechanical sounds that can be heard with the original exhaust are so much more attractive than the exhaust sound of sports exhausts or straight pipes.

18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Agreed. Why this obsession that many have with post production exhausts on any Ferrari’s, I’ll never understand, but particularly the super cars, and especially an F50. The stock system is amazing and should be left alone.

19. Karimsaid

Karimsaid Formula Junior
    Regional Sponsor

Oct 2, 2014
    I would agree about the F50. For long I thought straight pipes were the best and at high revs they are mesmerising. Sports ones have their impact also. But the sheer mechanical anger and growl is totally drowned with the much louder exhaust notes in the last two configurations.
    On the F50, I would go anytime with the sound of cogs and valves vs gases.
    However, good things could be said about a megafono on the GTO or a good sports exhaust on the F40.

20. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Well-stated Karim.

21. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    joe sackey and 456-boy like this.
  22. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    103922 sold 17 January 2020 at Gooding's in Scottsdale for US$ 3'222'500.

Marcel Massini

joe sackey likes this.