INDYCAR 2021! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

INDYCAR 2021!

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Nembo1777, Apr 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #26 Terra, Apr 17, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Andrew Craig was CEO at the time CART went public. Bobby Rahal became CEO a few years later.

Here's an interesting article from Marshall Pruett recounting The Split.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a29328/the-oral-history-of-the-split/

2. There we go....Romain just outside the Fast Six his first race.

Jimmie......well.........not so good....21st of 23 (Hinch, 24th, had no time)

http://www.imscdn.com/INDYCAR/Documents/5819/2021-04-17/indycar-results-quals.pdf

"Formula One veteran Romain Grosjean was the top-qualifying rookie, seventh, on his 35th birthday. His time of 1:05.7643 in the second round of qualifying fell just short of earning a spot in the Firestone Fast Six in the No. 51 Nurtec ODT Honda."

"Other rookie qualifiers were three-time Australian V8 Supercars champion Scott McLaughlin, 12th in the No. 3 PPG Team Penske Chevrolet, and seven-time NASCAR Cup Series champion Jimmie Johnson, 21st in the No. 48 Carvana Chip Ganassi Racing Honda."

https://www.indycar.com/News/2021/04/04-17-Barber-Qualifying

jpalmito and Nembo1777 like this.
  3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Any live streaming options?
    The usual are not working for me, thanks in advance.

5. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    A brilliant race for Palou. Ganassi snags another ace out from under everyone else's nose.

Unusual to see Newgarden make such a bonehead move on the first lap.

375+, Nembo1777, mdrums and 1 other person like this.
  6. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    https://www.peacocktv.com/sports/indycar
    (not sure if this works for users outside of the USA)

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
  8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Disappointing result for Rossi, not sure what happened there.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Always great to see a first time winner. Well done by Palou and CGR in the
    first race of the season.

BHW

Nembo1777 likes this.
  10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Andrew Craig was the right man for the job at the time. I met him on a number of occasions while I was working
    in CART and was quite surprised that he knew who I was and appreciated my work, all this. Very engaged and
    personable, I liked him.

However, Craig also started using new tracks (especially European circuits) to get into a bidding war against
    each other in order to obtain a sanction from CART. This was roundly frowned upon as new ovals EuroSpeedway
    Lausitz in Germany and Rockingham in England were just being completed with both eager to gain CART
    dates.

Instead of negotiating in good faith with both circuits, Craig set himself up as an auctioneer running up their
    sanctioning fees and this did not go down with the BoD.

There were other issues such as a the performance leveling pop-off valves which became a political hot
    potato as well.

The Split, which has been well documented was a real shame as each side was busy watching what the
    other was up to and they both were obsessed with NASCAR's sudden moves. It was a mess and started
    when Tony George took deposits on the luxury suites outside Turn 2 years in advance and then did not
    return them once the split occurred.

This was related to me by the late, great Tony Bettenhausen who's sponsor, Alumax, was one of the smaller
    budgeted teams. Alumax signed up for a multiple year deal to host their clients and customers in the suites
    at Indy. To big sponsors of the time like Marlboro or Target, this may not have been a huge outlay, but for
    Alumax, the loss of millions of dollars went straight into George's pocket.

When Bettenhausen would talk about this, you could literally see the steam coming out of his ears. There
    was a lot of bad blood and at the heart of it all was money.

BHW

375+, Jack-the-lad and Isobel like this.
  11. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    FYI - Peacock Premium shows practice and qualifying but DOES NOT show the race. Supposedly a race replay will be uploaded at some point but the app is littered with spoilers about the race long before it gets uploaded.

Why they thought this was better than the Indycar Pass on NBCSG I have no idea.

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Last night with only my cell phone at hand I was not able to access any stream (and did not want to register for any dubious one) so all I had was live scoring on indycar dot com...but there will be highlights on UTube any day now...

13. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    Here in the US Peacock is free with my cable package. But even if not, I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves open wheel racing. I think it is $4.99/mo. And it will include some cycling (like a postponed Paris-Roubaix later this year), and a bunch of other stick and ball sports. It also ran all-day coverage of the testing at Indy recently.

It was interesting watching the F1 vs the IndyCar (on Peacock) Saturday. While the F1 broadcasts are good, there was too much jolting zoom panning going on, which tends to obscure the position of the car in relation to the track and other cars. The IndyCar practice and qualy from Peacock were better, calmer camera work, good on-boards. It is true that they do not broadcast the race simultaneously, which is too bad. This past week the qualy was live on Peacock and same day delay on network, but even if not the format for that session lends itself to well managed commercial breaks.

On the other hand, the IndyCar race on free to air NBC was a mess compared to the F1 race (I still wish Liberty would back off the zoom; they might have caught the Bottas-Russell incident had that been the case). Too many "side by side" diversions requiring one to mute the screen, and even complete commercial interruptions. It was challenging to appreciate the growing tension of how the strategies might work out. They may be "spec cars" but they look like beasts to drive and regularly catch out some of the best drivers. For an American audience that thinks NASCAR competition caution / commercial breaks make good racing this might not matter, but it seems a bad way to try to draw in new fans. Regardless, it was good racing, just wish they'd find a better way to manage the ads, one that might make me WANT to patronize an advertiser rather than ranting at the TV about how much I hate hearing their repetitive sales pitches when I'm trying to watch my racing!

The MotoGP race, which I saved for a quiet evening this week, was well presented and thrilling as well.

All in all, glad to see these three top series back in more regular action.

white out and Nembo1777 like this.
  14. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I’ll give 48 full credit if he sticks it out the entire season. Hope he does shockingly well at the Brickyard. Can’t see the remainder of the year being worth the clag on a multi-championship career but mega points if he’s enjoying his open wheel fix and manages to bring a handful of NASCAR fans on board.

375+ and SCantera like this.
  15. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    He looks completely lost.

375+ and Nembo1777 like this.
  16. He's going to finish out the season, guarown teed.....he has a two year contract. And forgit aboot Indy......he's doing zip, nadda ovals. (Kanaan's taking the seat for the 500 though, so technically your "48" will be there, just not Jimmie). :)

Isobel likes this.
  17. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    JJ looks as lost in Indycar as Dario looked in NASCAR.

very different disciplines, but at least JJ seems to be having fun (which I don't think can be said for Dario)

kylec and pilotoCS like this.
  18. 'Forgot about Dario's li'l stint in NASCAR. 'Don't even remember why he was there.... Was he killing time waiting out somebody's contract at Ganassi IRL team?

If you're heart isn't into it, you don't do well.
    The sad thing is.....Jimmie's is, but he's not..... :(
    This does not bode well for his endeavor.....
    He may be enjoying himself, but adds nothing of value to the series. :rolleyes:

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    well it's brought a lot of attention and a bunch of new sponsors to the series.

it also highlights how competitive Indycar is when a 7 time champ from the series that claims to have the "best drivers in the world" is DFL.

Nembo1777 and SCantera like this.
  20. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    He was 3 seconds off the pace at Friday's practice. 2 seconds on Saturday's and 1.5 seconds in quali. At the race he lost it in the tower hairpin and again later hitting the barrier. It resulted in 2 yellows one being full course requiring a re-start. He was fortunate to be running at the end. Indy cars seem to be pretty tough compared to F1 cars that shatter when touched.

JJ brings money and attention to the series. While it was risky to allow him to drive here in St Pete he survived.

Here he is about 120' below our balcony. Sorry it's a bit fuzzy.....they do go by quickly.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Both of those are true, but to what end?

Who's attention and how long will the sponsors stick around when they find no ROI because he hasn't increased viewership that much, if at all?

And highlights the competitiveness to who (whom? 'Never can 'member which is correct)?
    Those that already know this?
    He ain't gonna' make any Jimmie/NASCAR fans that may have/will take a look stick around when they realize he sucks and "their series" is just as competitive with it's own gimmicks. Plus "their" series is "Fords", "Chevys", and "Toyotas" (tsk-tsk),,,,,cars they can "drive" (again tsk-tsk). "What's that thar "Dallara" thingie they're all runnin?" :rolleyes:

22. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    they'll figure out what a Dallara is when that's the spec car in NASCAR next year ;)

23. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    Isobel and GuyIncognito like this.
  24. The chassis? May be they will......I doubt it tho'. They still think they're watching "stock cars", which hasn't been so for how many decades now? (They were still when I enjoyed 'em, stock cars with cages added)
    I thought the bodies are still s'posed to appear to be Fords, Chevys, and Toyotas. and that's all they'll "see".....as they have been "seeing" for what?.....going on two decades now? (Since the original CoT, no?)
    Am I misinformed?

25. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC