Suspension Lifter | FerrariChat

Suspension Lifter

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Chizz, Apr 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
  2. Divexxtreme

Divexxtreme Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Scott
    That's the rear of the car. My lifter (and the one my Lambo) only lift the front.

GT2goneF likes this.
  3. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Hi,
    I have the suspensions lifter, and I believe it is a nice-to-have option, but remember: it is a FRONT suspensions lifter, meaning that the rearmost lower edge of the diffuser gets LOWER when activating the suspensions lifter, so in this specific case it would have made things even worst (despite by a minimal amount).

GT2goneF and FFan5 like this.
  4. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    I agree. Just repeating what the service guy said. I thought maybe the suspension lifter helped in the rear as well. Thanks

5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Napoli and Chizz like this.
  6. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    No suspension lifter, and so far have not needed it either....

docf, GT2goneF and Chizz like this.
  7. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I have the suspension lifter, use it frequently and it no doubt has saved me a few times. Admittedly, there are differing opinions on this forum.

Kai0705, xBox, Senna1994 and 2 others like this.
  8. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I have one in my 458. Like others have said it lifts the front not the rear. Which means anything behind the rear axle will actually be lower to the ground when it's activated.

I use it for peace of mind whenever I go into a driveway. I have Novitec lowering springs (20mm/0.75" lowered) so I get extra peace of mind, and I'm sure it's probably saved me a couple times.

Kai0705 and Chizz like this.
  9. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I have the lifter on my 2015 458 and I use it several times on each drive. I would not be without it...

Cheers!

xBox and Chizz like this.
  10. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't buy any sports car without it. Even if you never use it, the peace of mind of having it is worth it for me.

11. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I didn't realize rear suspension lift had been added at some point, as I've only seen older front-only cars.

12. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    Rear lift “wasn’t” added...Ferrari’s only have the front nose lift.

I had the lift installed on my 812 because the overhang is quite long and it could give me issues over speed bumps. But when I did go over speed bumps I was OK without using the lifter. Only time I used the lift or was on very steep driveways where there was a risk of damaging the front nose.

I have a Pista that has been lowered about an 1/2 inch and I have had no issues with the front nose scraping over speed bumps and I go into driveways at an angle so I’m also OK without using the lift when entering and exiting.

Ordering the SF90 and I’m thinking of going without the lift. The overhang is minimal versus the 812 and the Firano package doesn’t even allow the option to the lifter as an option on a lowered car.

it also matters where you live and drive the car. There are some cities that a lifter is a must due to the steep and undulating driveways and streets. San Francisco comes to mind as being place where I would think a lifter is required.

jerrym and Chizz like this.
  13. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    With the suspension lifter it stands to reason that if the lift , lifts the front the rear goes down.

Look at a 458 Speciale and see how low the rear is on those cars.

This F8 was just reversed into some concret barrier . Unfortunately even with the camera it still suffered damage.

Ive seen MANY cars even with lifts have massive scrapes under the front ! My cheap insurance on my 488 GTB is to have the carbonio number plate holder.

With this unit, it sits over 1 inch lower that the front lip. If I think there is an issue I move slowly and listen for a scrap. Helped me at least 5 times now :) Front lip no scrapes :)

GT2goneF and Chizz like this.
  14. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Unlikely!

And that my friend, is why I am sticking with the cheap plastic painted in gloss black. Gives me the look and it is less painful to replace.

Chizz likes this.
  15. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Be extra careful... Murphy heard you.... He feels he has to oblige every time he hears confidence.

Chizz likes this.
  16. blabus

blabus Rookie

Nov 28, 2018
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    I will say, as someone currently looking for a used F8, that any car without a suspension lifter is immediately off my list, regardless of how otherwise perfect the spec might be. So for anyone ordering new, you might want to consider it purely for resale value.

Orinda, Art138, Rexcat458 and 2 others like this.
  17. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

That may depend on where you live. I live in Florida and ordered my 488 and F8 without a lift . As far as resale , that’s just less money for me to loose. YEMV. Best , Kirk.

RayJohns and MANDALAY like this.
  18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    You mean MUCH LESS PAINFUL

GT2goneF likes this.
  19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    One day on an unfamiliar intersection and bang, it will happen. But the ironic thing is seeing scrapes on cars with the lifter !

GT2goneF likes this.
  20. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Yes, very much less painful

21. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    A lift is unnecessary anywhere in FL.

Front and rear sensors and the Ferrari ‘high tech’ rear backup camera are all you need.......except if you trailer it.

Always lots of drama and lumber loading up the 458 onto a U-Haul when I take it mountain driving. It becomes a game of millimeters.

So......the F8 will have it.

Art138, GT2goneF, Chizz and 1 other person like this.
  22. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Passed on a few Pistas which didn’t have them.....I agree, rule on the side that it adds flexibility when selling.

23. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1. I passed on three 458’s because none of them had the lifter. It does matter to some of us...

Cheers!

24. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Lusso lifts the entire car....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020