Strong money at Barrett Jackson for a 2012 458 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Strong money at Barrett Jackson for a 2012 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by gobble, Mar 29, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    What year is your 458?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Yea, got some good ones from hanging out with my married buddies :)

3. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    You said 'BJ'

Mikael-F360 likes this.
  4. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    '14

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    He’s got it made.

rob lay likes this.
  6. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I went to a BJ auction in Las Vegas a few years back. Let's say 10 free drink tickets helped me overpay on my Testarossa.

Napoli, buddyg, john a barnes and 2 others like this.
  7. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    I don't know about the glue stuff but, I love my Giallo 458 and plan on keeping it until the end. It is the best sports GT I've ever owned.

8. john a barnes

john a barnes Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2018
    muskego wi
    Full Name:
    John a Barnes
    My neighbor had a 2010 and the crackles and pops in Mannetino race mode ( I think) were absolutely wicked. He would do it in front of my house just to make me drool, that SOB. haha He traded it for a 488 and it's not the same with the Turbos in the way.

Sargepug and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  9. MacDemarco

MacDemarco Rookie

Aug 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mac Demarco
    If what you’re saying is true than that gives me hope as someone who’s in the market for a 458 and have been avoiding the 2010-2011 MY lol. Does anyone know how much louder the 2010-2011s were compared to the 2012-2015 ones?

10. MacDemarco

MacDemarco Rookie

Aug 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mac Demarco
    What year was yours? Mileage?

11. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    There is no relationship between transmission trouble and year or mileage. The issue for the early VIN's is the replacement if it's the sensor that fails. Plenty of back and forth on Ferrari Chat about this subject. Your head will explode before you can make any sense of the odds that your 458 will be more likely then the next..

12. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Very sad to hear that he downgraded. But we all can learn from our mistakes! ;)

Sargepug and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  13. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    '14 w/ 6k on the clock

14. MacDemarco

MacDemarco Rookie

Aug 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mac Demarco
    Is it safe to say you wont extend the warranty when the OEM warranty is over? The main issue has already been fixed.

15. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    OEM is long gone, so I took the power warranty for one year and counting. I'll play another year by ear....

16. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    That's what they are counting on just like in Vegas. Plus you start bowing your chest out when another person starts bidding on a car you want. Genius!

17. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    It worked ;)

18. DriIve

DriIve Rookie

May 3, 2018
    I'm in the market now and sad to see the prices have risen 20-30% from a year ago. Back when I was researching a few years ago I remember the recommendation of 12+ due to the software change that's easier on the transmission. So is that not a thing anymore? Can the weak transmission sensor be replaced proactively or it's within the casing and can only be replaced w/ transmission replacement?

19. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

It's inside the casing...requires complete transmission removal and tear down. Very few shops can do it competently, btw.

20. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    I'm actually stoked to see the rise, I bought last March! :) They will continue to rise, so the longer you wait, the worse it will get. I bought my '14 w/ 4k on the clock for $194k, last March for my 50th. Couple weeks ago, I was asked to sell it for around $240k, but I have zero intention on doing so. My '13 yr old son and I blew off the NYCFC season opener yesterday, cause it was like 74 degrees, perfect Ferrari weather. Had the exhaust valves open (via Capristo controller), had her in race mode and we must have put 100+ on the clock. Got a ton of compliments on the road and thumbs up, etc. Spring fever day for sure, what a blast!! The speed sensor you are mentioning, is dead center in the middle of the "box", it's a $10k job to replace a $1,200 part. Mine acted up to the point that I lost all odd gears, then further internal diagnostic issues, prompted Ferrari to say I need a new box. That was a $40k job!

P.S. I have the power warranty.;)

DriIve likes this.
  21. jsh458ft

jsh458ft Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2020
    PA
    So if you were buying a 2010 with low miles would you only go with A) documented transmission repair/replacement or B) power warranty? Is there some percentage of early transmissions that'll go a lifetime of miles without issues?

22. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    The transmission is the same for all years. The only difference is the access to the sensor. That failure is very rare and gets publicity only due to cost of repair. I will say $40k is a moon shot higher than any cost I have heard before the above post. You should have zero concern about the transmission itself or all years will be out. The two years for the cost of one on the warranty is only available if the car is bought from a Ferrari dealership.

23. PMiranda

PMiranda Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I think the 40k was for when there actually was a mechanical failure of the transmission, not just the sensor. Which, I suppose if you ignore a sensor error long enough is gonna happen, or sometimes the transmission actually has a defect and the sensor is actually telling you about it. Rare but real, and something I think about on super-low-mileage cars.

24. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

$40K is about right if the sensors fail, it overheats, internal seals rupture, and there is intermixing of transmission fluid in the E-differential. Then there is Nothing to repair...it's just a replacement at that point.... transmission & E- diff.

I got mine repaired for about that amount in the SF Bay Area not so long ago. The upside is the new unit has a 2 yr unlimited mile warranty. The extended service warranty I had purchased when I bought the 2013 458 Italia (used @ 4.9 K miles) has been well worth it.

VelocityTexas and Sargepug like this.
  25. Sargepug

Sargepug Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 23, 2020
    NYC
    Correct, it's $10k to replace the sensor and $40k for a brand new box w/ install.

NuorderSG likes this.