812 VS Rumors | Page 267 | FerrariChat

812 VS Rumors

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Frenzisko, Feb 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gt_lusso

gt_lusso Karting

Oct 24, 2013
    Northern Europe
    Looks like a Japanese tuner-car. A bit too much styling for my taste. But as an overall package, I really like it. And I think it makes sense to go "all in" and make something that screams technology, racing and "in your face", as this is most likely the last non-hybrid NA V12 put in a front engined F-car. So for that reason, I think it was a good decision.

The days of Pininfarina is gone, and that's just the way it is. We live in modern times now, and I guess I need to accept the fact that the cars they make also must represent the time we live in. So well done Ferrari. I think this is exactly what a 2021 Ferrari should look like. Enzo would be proud :)

2. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    To my eyes it looks better than the F12tdf, that had a too short tail, in my opinion. I think it will cost (loaded) less than a TDF (700 K euro today), so it will be a bargain

ciao

ScottS, Thecadster, F140C and 3 others like this.
  3. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
  4. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    Hah!
    812 actually never stood for 812hp, it was 8 for 800 Italian horsepower which translated to USA standards is 789 horsepower. 12 was for the cylinders.

Regardless a magnificent engine and hopefully the end of an era.

paulchua likes this.
  5. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Black, silver, gold, I'm not sure it matters IMO. The aim of the comparison is show the difference in styling of the body. In fact, comparing the VS to a TDF with black wheels was only giving the VS a handicap. Now seeing the two side by side both with silver-ish wheels really seals the deal in my opinion ;).

6. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    These pictures are the actual car ?

MDS

7. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Exactly what I am thinking

Boots likes this.
  8. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    Maggio23, 355TDI and 9nb like this.
  9. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The three slits behind the rear wheels are a distraction from the three above the rear wheel on the back panel. They should have treated behind the rear wheel differently.

Solid State and j09333 like this.
  10. Boots

Boots Formula 3

Jan 17, 2020
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jake
    #6660 Boots, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Yes it's all a bit much...

Update: Now that you've mentioned that, I cannot get this image out of my head...

Attached Files:

paulchua, LMH, gt_lusso and 1 other person like this.
  11. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Just the same, why is the 812VS so long in the tail (.5m+ ?)...surely there is a reason for that, besides adding weight, what could it be?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Cearabc, of2worlds and italiafan like this.
  12. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    I like it. It’s very aggressive and in your face. I think in person it will soften a bit. The part that stands out to me is that I love the rear facia design, but the diffuser doesn’t seem to be the correct size. Maybe too big and wide. Again, in person that may change.

13. markonex

markonex Formula Junior

Jul 31, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I'm quite fond fo aero solutions and innovation, and I'm pretty aware of what is behind tech solutions having studied the matter at university. I would just like to get some details about the real working logic of those vortex generators on the aluminum trunk lid, I mean, wortex generators are commonly used in Ferrari's underbody to energize the flow, accelerate it and further reduce underbody pressure thus increasing ventury effect and increasing delta pressures between upper and lower body, thus increasing downforce. I do not yet understand how increasing the vortex and accelerating the read lid flow would increase efficieny withotu spoiling and deflecting the flow thus worsening the rear spoiler efficiency

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Very nice. Very nice blend of aggressive, elegance and modern design. Best looking V12 VS by far. Absolutely perfect.

Disapointed about the power though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Thecadster, Caeruleus11 and Maggio23 like this.
  15. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    No idea where people get ‘aftermarket’ from. This car is brilliant. What a job they have done with it. It’s interesting, challenging in places, suggestive, beautiful stance, lovely lines, aggressive, it’s, well, very Ferrari.

Personally I’m in for the Pirelli tyre stripes too - what other cars can wear something like that? Only need to find a livery that fits, the grey with yellow stripe works so well, modern, fresh, captures the mood of the car well. Just that mine will not be grey because I did both SF and GTS in grey. This one needs something bolder for what I want.

Have you seen the details on this car?! The quantity of detailing on this design is incredible. That’s not the same as ‘busy’ in my book either. My eye was first drawn to the way the SF’s striking side lines have been extended through to the beautiful-if-not-subtle rear spoiler and the three wheel arch vents joining in the party, aping the 250 GTO but also celebrating the fact that this car is an old-school beast in the aerodynamic era. The surfacing around the rear is very subtle - doesn’t deny the somewhat unpopular area between the Superfast’s rear lights but resurfaces it and at the same time covers some of the light cluster reminding me of narrowed, determined eyes. The small gap above the front of that side crease, where the bonnet carbon venting flows under the wing, seems new. It also links the line to the very front of the car and the Pista-style winglets ahead of the front wheels. Those change the front end of the car when viewed from the rear three quarter and give a very different, much sportier feeling to the front wheel arch area. The rear screen being replaced with aluminium now makes sense. Instead of cooling these are fins that create a vortex for aerodynamics. Hadn’t really thought of that. It seems a small point but probably isn’t (unless you’re of the school that says aerodynamics is irrelevant on a road car - my personal view is that just as I appreciate a watch that can survive 1000m pressure, I will never dive there, but the engineering is beautiful in itself. Maybe I won’t use the last degree of aerodynamics, doesn’t mean I don’t love the car for having it). And what could so easily have been a ‘looks too Lamborghini’ moment, just isn’t. Somehow, because it is aerodynamic styling and not venting, it just isn’t Lamborghini. It’s modern Ferrari. It’s aggressive. It’s brilliant as far as I can see.

The exhaust box. Interesting. The mules had this very large box from the beginning. There’s some trick engineering in there I’m guessing because it’s basically the main thing that was there from the start of the development programme, at least as far as what we could see as being different to the standard car. I can see how the square shape is challenging, it certainly speaks of engineering aggression over aesthetics - like cars made for the race track (which this isn’t but it is influenced by that sort of thinking). If it turns out that there is some special-sauce engineering in the exhaust, that will define what we think about the aesthetics. Like spoilers or wide wheels when those things were new, the end justifies the means and in the end becomes synonymous with performance. We don’t love supercar aesthetics because they are mild but because they suggest outrageous performance.

The front is the quietest area of the car, especially at head-on view. When I first saw the TDF, except for the three ‘genius’ vents over the rear wheel arches I thought ‘is that it?’ Like almost everyone else though, I came to love that car and appreciate its beauty. This I loved straight away. It just hit the spot for me. The picture of the TDF alongside this VS posted above makes me feel that this car is a much sharper design, crisper, less subtle of course. Whether that changes for people over time we’ll have to wait and see. If it’s the people who got the allocations who love the car, perhaps Ferrari can see that as a good sign that they did a good job of both the design and the allocation process?

Even if I wasn’t fortunate enough to have an allocation, I know I would love this car. I can’t listen to unbridled criticism of Manzoni and unfettered praise of Pininfarina anymore. I think they knocked this one out of the park.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
  17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Thank you
    I’m curious about the 3 vents along the rear arches and why they were moved more posterior?
    Function?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boots likes this.
  18. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    Somebody who is good with image processing may be able to play around with the interior photo if they can find a high resolution version and work out the name. Ferrari have retouched the interior shot but you can just make out the shadow of the 812 badge on the dash and the outline of a name alongside it.

jo_ker, Picchu88, 4_Eff_Sake and 8 others like this.
  19. TP98

TP98 Rookie

Mar 30, 2020
    Full Name:
    T
    Am I the only one not bothered by the square exhaust? I think the rear, highlighted by the photo above, is spectacular...

20. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Hmmm, looks like Competizione to me. Or superfast.

21. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Or competizione. I think I see a p in there.

Jeronimo GTO and ingegnere like this.
  22. 350MH83

350MH83 Formula 3

Jul 11, 2014
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Max
    it looks like the 812Superfast insert is missing... Maybe that's what they used for this render.

23. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    That’s a deal buddy - goo, merlot, macallan, hoyo de montereys....

italiafan likes this.
  24. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #6674 isuk, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    I doubt it's a rehash of an 812 SF photo as the interior has a completely new centre tunnel that utilises the gear shift from the SF90 and Roma.

Boots likes this.
  25. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    The car is beautiful but I prefer the classic style of the 599 GTO