car design thread | Page 478 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    tritone likes this.
  2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The rear has a Viper vibe for me as well.

3. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    330 4HL, Boomhauer and jm2 like this.
  4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    My initial reaction in the other thread.

Some initial thoughts...
    • With this VS coupe they’ve simply corrected major styling issues with the 812SF. This is good.
    • If the sketches of the open top VS version are accurate and the B pillars are like the SF90 then this will dial back some of the 812SF styling corrections of the VS rear fenders as this will reduce their presence compared to the coupe
    • The VS styling that adds the most character to the car is the rear cover where the glass would normally may be and this was essentially by accidental necessity because of the 812SF rear glass issues. LOL From the leaked VS pic of this area what looked like a black section in the lower rear part of the yellow center stripe I thought they would take the air and channel it under the rear wing out of that rear horizontal open slat. Nope.
    • General reaction: I like it. It looks good. Really this is no crowning achievement because although the 812SF had some botched details it’s bone structure is so much to work with how couldn’t they make at least a good looking car. Anything less is catastrophic failure for Ferrari Centro Stilo.
    • There is really almost nothing we haven’t seen before on other models and most we’ve seen on recent models. Although very cool, there’s no ground breaking design here. For someone like me, to quote Patrick Bateman “it’s more satisfying in a narrower way”. Ferrari Centro Stilo is just getting the job done.
    PS: I still think there’s a chance it won’t be called the GTO...

Also...

The three slits behind the rear wheels are a distraction from the three above the rear wheel on the back panel. They should have treated behind the rear wheel differently.

330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Full disclosure here, but I've never been a fan of the 812 since it came out. Just never looked 'right' to my eye. The bodyside always looked 'under duress' for lack of a better description as it were. This revision I believe addresses some of my concerns, but it's just not for me.
    Can't appeal to everyone. No need to.

330 4HL, crinoid and Qvb like this.
  6. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    #11932 jm2, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    I cant help it, but every time I see an F12/812, this image pops into my head. :eek:
    I'll leave the rest to the imagination.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tritone and crinoid like this.
  8. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I’m with you. I think it got lost along the way. The 812 would have made a great Viper however a great Ferrari, NO. It looks like a car and not functioning sculpture. When side to side with the F12TDF the 812VS looks crude and amateur.

330 4HL, tritone and jm2 like this.
  9. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    I think the point here is that Ferrari once made beautifully sculpted art, masquerading as automobiles, where as now, it's bordering a collection of superfluous lines befitting of a fast and furious franchise. They'll sell every one of them.

330 4HL and tritone like this.
  10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I'm going to respectfully disagree here.

While there were a number of individuals who were upset when Ferrari jettisoned Pininfarina, I thought it was a bold move, and the right move. Since that divorce, IMO, Mr. Manzoni and his team have done an outstanding job with the design of Ferraris. Like all design teams, you don't hit a home run every time at bat. But I believe he and the Ferrari Design Team have been consistently turning out hits. Are they the romance cars of the '50's-'60's? No. But I still give them an A- overall.
    Not a grade I bestow on many vehicle design teams these days.

They are evolving but still maintaining the Ferrari look. And that is a very tall order. Just look at what many other storied brands are doing with their design heritage.

But of course, it's all personal opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

11. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    No worries, It was a blanket statement and I should've been more specific in respect to models. Anyway, I stand by my stated opinion in regards to the VS as well in respect the door coves that have found their way into various models, which match the pie shaped door handle. I do love the tribute despite the cove. I see all the f40 328 and tr references which is, admittedly, a very tall task without creating a caricature. Like to Roma too. Both beauties to this beholder.

But hey, If someone is going to disagree with me, at least it's a pro!!

of2worlds, 330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  12. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    ;)

13. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Ferrari started as a race car maker who also made street cars to help support the racing activities. None of their F1 cars were designed as art but were instead made to go as fast as possible. The street cars were designed by coachbuilders almost exclusively and mostly built up by Carrozzeria Scaglietti until production got so high that entire bodies were being outsourced to the designers factories. Ferrari never designed bodies other than for test mules or race cars. Taking over the design of the bodies on the street cars went 100% against Ferrari tradition. The move to inhouse with Mr. Manzoni's team has taken several years to get the desired effect and is now IMO better than Pininfarina was in 2010. No one is perfect as shown fully by the design of the Pininfarina designed ENZO :)

330 4HL likes this.
  14. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Some modern Ferraris might be beautiful in their way, but I have always thought of Italian design as being flowing and organic-looking, or having a simple sense of arrangement where a theme is present. The modern Ferraris, for some time, haven't felt particularly Italian to me. They may be fast, loud, impressive, expensive, exclusive, and badged with all of the Italian heritage of Ferrari, but the busy nature of the aerodynamics packages and overtly finicky styling make me think of high end Japanese tuner products. It may well be that there has been a conscious effort to appeal to the tastes of Asian markets, but I'm not sure they've particularly maintained the Ferrari look to the extent I would have liked. They feel too "try hard" without enough reserved confidence to simply be elegant.

Aston Martin and Bentley have done a brilliant job of modernizing while retaining their brand identity. Even without badges, their brands are unmistakable in their designs. Despite the fact that the engineering in Bentley is more German now than British, the marque itself still feels British.

All the best,
    Andrew.

15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    You're 100% correct, Andrew.
    I believe that's why Ferrari executed the Roma in the manner they chose. Back to beauty.

anunakki, energy88 and NeuroBeaker like this.
  16. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    so maybe we don't disagree after all !:)

jm2 likes this.
  17. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I do like the Roma in pictures. I'm keen to eventually see one in the metal.

All the best,
    Andrew.

jm2 likes this.
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I believe you will find it to your liking.

330 4HL, F1tommy and NeuroBeaker like this.
  19. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    well said. Theres also the ability to separate personal taste. For example, i dont really like most modern ferrari design, but thats my personal taste, not trying to make an objective claim.

jm2 likes this.
  20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  21. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012