Fuel leak in front of rear passenger tire. | FerrariChat

Fuel leak in front of rear passenger tire.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DocBasilone, May 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    Car ran great yesterday Strong odor of gas coming from garage after parking it. Fuel dripping from plate just in front of passenger rear wheel. Had tank repaired 1yr prior due to leak. Interesting was no pressure when opening gas’s cap about hour later.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Isn't that about where the fuel filter is?

DocBasilone likes this.
  3. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    There's a fuel tank on each side of the car, with a hose/pipe connecting the 2.

Also, on the passenger side are numerous fuel lines -- from the tank to various devices such as pump, filter, accumulator, and eventually the fuel distributor. Those lines on my car started weeping -- so we replace them all. They are fairly easy to get to, and you should swap them out asap.

Sid

DocBasilone likes this.
  4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you start removing any of the fittings by the pump or filter, be sure to mark the way they come out in case of any non return valves

DocBasilone likes this.
  5. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    I'm afraid that repair you did before is leaking again...

DocBasilone likes this.
  6. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    Other side. But that thought crossed my mind

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If i recall correctly the accumulator has a tell tail hole which leaks fuel if the diaphragm fails, that is behind the rear right wheel along with the filter and pump

DocBasilone likes this.
  8. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I believe that the EU models would just leak on the ground, but the US models have a return line that goes back to the fuel tank. So if the accumulator leaks on a US model, you wouldn't have any fuel leaking on the ground. That is the spot in front of the right rear tire though. Accumulator, and fuel filter, and several fuel line connections are located there. The fuel tanks are closer to the center of the car.

DocBasilone likes this.
  9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If the diaphragm is punctured it leaks out the hole, nothing to do with the return line. An accumulator is teed into a line to maintain a min pressure to assist hot starts.

10. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    My 328 did that a few years ago. It was the rubber hose under the tanks. The colder weather and driving made them seep, but they were original and about ready to burst. There are two hoses about 5 inches long at the bottom of each tank that connect them to the metal crossover pipe. They are weird metric, and I could not find the correct fuel rated one locally, so ended up with Ferrari parts. The center metal crossover pipe is not always centered, so one hose may be longer than the other or you can fudge the pipe to center.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

DocBasilone likes this.
  11. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Top pic is for US Models. Reference #16 is the return line from the accumulator to the fuel tank. So if the accumulator fails, fuel doesn't just leak out of the hole. Lower pic is for EU Models.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Thats a new one on me

DocBasilone likes this.
  13. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    For the life of me, I can’t find #16.
    I too have fuel dripping in front of my right side wheel and want to replace all hoses.
    Any further recommendations on which parts to buy and where to get them would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. FamilyCar

FamilyCar Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 26, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Peter Goodall
    Funny-we're on the same project schedule. I just ordered a new fuel filter, accumulator and check valve...

I found part numbers in several old threads, and the best prices at AutoHausAZ. My real concern is the accumulator in this instance but I am doing all the lines around it as well.

The parts numbers are:
    Accumulator Bosch 0 438 170 004 (-001?)
    Check Valve Bosch 1 587 010 532
    Filter Purolator F64857 (from Amazon)

These are for an '87 3.2. I have not yet installed anything so I can't say for sure that they are correct.

I replaced all of the "standard" fuel lines a few years ago. There are a number that you can't reach since they go behind a heat shield or on top of a fuel tanks, so they got skipped.

I also got replacement fuel lines from the distributor to the injectors and for all the plumbing between the fuel pump and the distributor from Unobtanium Supply, but they haven't arrived yet. Unobtanium has several kits with different groupings of fuel lines and the correct fittings. I've had new injectors and seals sitting on a shelf for a few years, so I'm hoping soon that most all of my fuel side will be working better and safer.

15. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    #16 is on the right side of the accumulator in the pic. EU models wouldn't have this hose. If there is fuel in the hose, or leaking from that port, you've got a faulty accumulator.

16. DocBasilone

DocBasilone Karting

Apr 15, 2020
    NW PA
    Update: Tank was found to have imploded due to faulty venting, excessive vacuum in tank cracked at seams!! This mondial tank venting system is ridiculous
    How come euro models vent to air but the T has this elaborite venting sys?? Last year someone on here said " I just drive with my gas cap loose" I did that for a while and had no issues but for some reason I tightened it up with a fill up and here we are.......

17. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    So do I : " I just drive with my gas cap loose"....

DocBasilone likes this.
  18. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    To my understanding the tanks are building up pressure, not depressurising. The check valve of the vent lets air in only, no gas out in case of a roll-over. When you open the gas cap, air should stream out, not in.

moysiuan likes this.
  19. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Venting systems are neither ridiculous nor particular to the Mondial... they got more complex over time due to environmental concern related to unburned hydrocarbons released into the atmosphere during refuelling (nozzles with suction boots) and tank venting preventing HC emissions by recirculating them onto active charcoal canisters. Any newer car has a more complex tank venting arrangement than any older one due to legal requirements - which are also related to the country of registration. The US had more stringent laws earlier than Europe.