What's the gas situation? | FerrariChat

What's the gas situation?

Discussion in 'North & South Carolina' started by johnk..., May 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Hi Chatters, I'm suppose to drive from Connecticut to Florida this weekend and we usually go down I81 to I77 to I26 to I95. Will be leaving Friday morning with a stop over in Orangeburg SC Friday night. Would appreciate if people could update the gas situation during the week so I could know if I should delay a day or two.

2. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Zero issues in my part of NC from what I've seen. There is a large Colonial facility around the Greensboro airport (on the side of I-40) which is about 20 miles down the road from me. Filled up my super-trendy, ever-sexy Subaru Outback yesterday @ $3.20/gal for whatever the middle-grade at BP was.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Thanks Daniel. Would appreciate it if you, and any other who might post, could update things on Thursday.

4. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    The pipeline has only been down for 4 days, I don't buy that any place is out of gas already because of that.

5. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Columbia, SC is reporting gas stations that are out of fuel. I am in Fort Mill, SC - and was able to fill up last night, but saw several stations with yellow tape around the pumps at several stations.

Hysteria is draining the supply here, just like bread/milk/eggs disappear when they predict 1/4" of snow...

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    That is my fear. The media is creating a panic and the result is a shortage because all the gas is in 5 gallon tanks in the back of pickup trucks.

Thanks for the info. Please keep this updated if you can. Appreciate it.

nicholasn likes this.
  7. RedlineG60

RedlineG60 Formula 3

Dec 25, 2003
    Simpsonville, SC
    Full Name:
    Andy Thomason
    Greenville has several gas stations that are claiming they’re out. My wife had to go to three different stations yesterday to find some premium. Not cause she was wanting to hoard gas but because her AMG hoards gas and was legitimately empty.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Confirmed several are out here in Columbia. Staying overnight in O’burg? Be careful.

9. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Now all of the stations in my area are dry... I guess that this is a real hysteria situation now. Insane.

10. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    The northern part of Florida is reporting shortages/lines. Probably +/- 100 miles on either side of I-10. That part of Florida gets a lot of its supply from the Colonial terminals in Alabama. On I-95, I would expect the supply would get better the further south you get from JAX and I-10.

In Sarasota this morning, things looked normal at all the gas stations on the main streets. This afternoon, the WallyWorld had cars at each pump station, but there were no lines. Yesterday, I observed at Costco that all 10 pump islands had about 5 cars lined up at each.

Hopefully, the panic will be ending as you start out.

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Read that they might restart the pipeline tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky

?? We've stayed in a hotel there several times, right off I26 on 601.

13. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    That’s the best spot. Grab some Cracker Barrel while you’re there!

14. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I''m with you......Merrifield is Colonial's major pump station in Northern VA and they are filling and rolling trucks around the clock. You have to be a woke IT
    idiot to have Command and Control systems accessible via the internet which is a lesson no doubt they have learned.

I'm guessing Colonial has gone old school with people manning the pumps and writing load tickets which probably is less efficient but workable. Allegedly, Colonial is back to full production tomorrow evening.

15. PETER@TEAM AI

PETER@TEAM AI Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The pipeline is only part of the solution. As important the NC and SC governors have waived restrictions for gas tankers allowing far more on the road and allowing them to fill the tanker up not cap it a number of gallons. We went through this 15+ years ago when the pipeline had a big leak. People followed tanker trucks around to get gas but is was always findable.

16. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Most of the gas stations near me (outside of Raleigh, NC) were out of gas last night. Hopefully a few have been replenished as I have to drive down to Charlotte in a little bit.

17. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
  18. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Stupid is as stupid does. We’re having a problem in Pensacola. But this has nothing to do with the pipeline. The EPA got pissed at the local distributor because they had too much winter gas, and shut them down.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Thought the EPA was allowing winter gas use.

Anyway, canceled my trip until fuel situation is back to normal.

Thanks for all the feedback.

20. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    The pipeline has been restarted, but it will take several days to get back to normal thanks to aholes like that truck driver in the image above. I'm in Charlotte right now and most of the stations that have gas have constant lines spilling well out into the roads. The best bets are small towns that don't have an interstate or large city nearby (on the drive down, I found a Marathon about 20 mins outside of Asheboro that had all grades of gas, which was good because I have to run 93 in my 328i).

Thecadster likes this.
  21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well, I'm heading south tomorrow. Planed gas stops along 81 just before hitting VA, Then around the junction of 81 & 77. That should get tme to Orangeburg for the night and a fill up. Then somewhere around Dayton Beach and on to Jupiter. I'll keep an extra 5 gallons in the trunk.

AD211 likes this.
  22. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    One of my friends in Charlotte (who has to do a ton of traveling around the Carolinas) said that it has been easier to find gas in the Greensboro area as well as South Carolina. Most of the stations in Charlotte seemed to be out of fuel when I was there. I'm back in Raleigh now and most of the stations here are still out of gas, or only have 87.

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    We made it to Orangeburg yesterday. No problems with gas. The only lines we saw were at Mc Donald's and D&D. And what's with NC and SC? Couldn't go into Mc's or D&D. Only drive through. I'm surprised the hotel didn't make us sleep in our car. :D

energy88 likes this.
  24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    We made it to Orangeburg yesterday. No problems with gas. The only lines we saw were at Mc Donald's and D&D. And what's with NC and SC? Couldn't go into Mc's or D&D. Only drive through. I'm surprised the hotel didn't make us sleep in our car. :D

25. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky