328 fuel injector bushings on ebay. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

328 fuel injector bushings on ebay.

Discussion in '308/328' started by Robz328, Jul 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    When I cleaned my injectors earlier last year to pass emissions, I was able to access all of them. I do recall that I took off the deck lid; however, I was doing a lot more work. I didn't take out all the bushings then, either, since they were seated well (fuel inlet pipes were straight up, not tilted). To get to the rear bushings, remove the throttle body and take your time; also, get/make a tool to remove the bushings. I don't think it would be necessary to remove the deck lid to get to the forward ones, but it wouldn't hurt.

When I replace all injectors and bushings, I will post the effort.

Rob H.

2. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Thanks Iain,,I remember you doing this as well..question,did you replace the injectors for pure maintanence reasons or did you have a problem??Did replacing all the injectors make any difference??

3. maurice70

maurice70 F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2004
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    maurice T
    Thanks Rob...will look forward to the rest of your write up in the future..

4. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    #29 Iain, Jul 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I did it for maintenance. Car's 20 years old (but only 37K miles) & had steel injectors. I also had all the steel lines replated & replaced all the plastic lines with Verrel's kit.

It has made a noticeable difference. When I got the CO adjusted afterwards it was running lean (and I know what it was at a year go). That says to me that the old injectors were worn.

Two specific things I have noticed is less popping & banging on the over run (which I think suggests that the new injectors close faster) and secondly when I just rev the engine I think it falls back to idle quicker - again because (I think) the new injectors are cutting the fuel supply quicker. The engine also just winds up like a turbine now & settles at a very even idle with no dramas at under 900 rpm.

The differences are all marginal, but very noticeable. I can not say for certain yet but I also think fuel economy is much improved.

For the cost of the job it was worth every penny.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I chuckle at some of the comments on this thread. Everyone makes the assumption that the OEM material is actually good. Remember this stuff is 20+ years old and Italian; and Ferrari did not build the cars to last as long as we drive them. Materials have improved greatly in last 25 years.
    Ken

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson

(just adding this PN for the stock bushing so this thread comes up when searching on that number)

7. Geert Jan Schreurs

Jul 14, 2010
    netherlands
    Full Name:
    Geert Jan Schreurs
    Steve

I have build a new website for the unobtainable Ferrari parts. The site is build based on my 400 but the parts fits on other Ferrari’s. The two O rings have PN 101031 and 113570.

the link to the site is www.ferrari400parts.com

8. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Excellent effort, Gert Jan!

BTW, I haven't started with the 328 injector/bushing replacement yet since I will likely go ahead and refurbish the fuel system entirely. You post on the goop that shows up in the K-Jet was revealing enough for me to want to check mine out as well...great write-up.
    Rob H.

9. Geert Jan Schreurs

Jul 14, 2010
    netherlands
    Full Name:
    Geert Jan Schreurs
    Hi Rob,

You can make a few test first before disassembling the fuel system. Mark from Germany is working on a FD for a 8 cylinder Ferrari. I bought the O rings for him to refurbish the FD.

If you need to know something please let me know

Geert Jan

10. jonesdds

jonesdds Formula 3

Aug 31, 2006
    SB,CA & Park City UT
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    In dentistry we are milling crowns out of porcelain. Certain porcelains we use like Zirconia are super strong and no more brittle than metals. Also, can tolerate temps well above engine temps. I wonder if this wouldn't be even a better material. I assume the same milling process can be used for this material, probably with a different bit and water spray to cool. Anyone have any thoughts on this? One problem I could see is maybe abrasion on any injector contact with the material. The material is very abrasive to teeth and gold which is why it is often used as a core with lower fusing porcelain on top.

Jeff

11. travelall74

travelall74 Rookie

Aug 13, 2015
    Full Name:
    rob froehlich
    i know this is a old thread but did anyone make a tool to remove the old bushing , only one came out with the injector and i want to replace the o ring since ive got it torn apart. thanks guys

12. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    Just noticed this thread after the bump. I've got a Cerec Red cam sitting here not doing anything in case you figure out how to make it mill Ferrari parts.

13. Derek Boulton

Derek Boulton Rookie

Mar 12, 2020
    Greeley, Colorado USA
    Full Name:
    Derek Boulton
    I need 8 of the large thin injector bushing O rings. Can you help with the p/no, size and where I can get them. Many thanks, Derek

14. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Derek,

Geert is long gone. I lost track of him a few years ago as well.

It is a shame as he was doing lots of 'Good-Stuff.'

Check the Parts Cross-Ref 'Sticky' above.

It takes a bit of looking but you'll find your answer there.

15. Derek Boulton

Derek Boulton Rookie

Mar 12, 2020
    Greeley, Colorado USA
    Full Name:
    Derek Boulton

Many thanks, I found some 328 injector bushing O rings on-line (at AW Italian, East Coast seller). Now, what I really need is some input on how to safely get the bushings out without breaking them. Two or three came out with the injector but the rest need to be pulled out. Appreciate any assistance. Derek

16. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Derek,

Sorry, I can't help as I have no experience with that design.

But how about a LITTLE BREAK-FREE between the bushing and manifold AND a strong wire, like coat-hanger, bent into a sharp angled 'hook' (say 160°+) to go down inside the bushing, 'hook' the bottom and GENTLY PULL 'UP' in places around the inner circumference of the bushing to help loosen it and ultimately remove it?

IF you are gunna try this, practice on a bushing that is already out to get the 'hang of it.'

***CAUTION***

Pulling UP TOO HARD TOO SOON COULD CAUSE DAMAGE to the bushing. IDK.

17. Derek Boulton

Derek Boulton Rookie

Mar 12, 2020
    Greeley, Colorado USA
    Full Name:
    Derek Boulton
    Thanks, I'll keep folks in the loop. Your "slowly, slowly" advice is clearly good advice.

18. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Can't help with 328 injectors but I have recently been working the same problem with my Audi ur-Quattro. It uses the same CIS fuel injection system but the injector/bushing is mounted in the head. The bushings are threaded and screw in to the head after a sealing washer. Some PO actually glued the bushings in with Permatex gasket sealer rather than use the sealing washers. Audi/VW bushings have a hex internal shape so that they can be tightened with a hex Allen wrench, my bushings stripped the hex right away. I had a large easy out in the bushing and a 2 foot breaker bay and still couldn't move the bushing. I ended up cutting them out with a Dremal tool and cleaning the sealant out the threads with a tap.

A bit of a long winded story to get to the point that the bushings and O rings used in the 308i/328 are undoubtedly used in other vehicles utilizing the CIS system. In my case the availability of ur-Quattro parts is shrinking and what is available is heavily margined. Some suppliers wanted $30 each for them and $10 per O ring! A bit of detective work and I found that the old VW Quantum (year specific) used the same parts. I got them from a VW dealer for about 25% of the Audi price.

BTW, I have always used Isopropyl alcohol as a lube for pulling/pushing injectors through the O rings, many use a light oil. I have a door panel removal tool that works very well for popping injectors out of the O ring, they are widely available where ever automotive tools are sold. I hook it under the tube nut and lever the injector right out.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Derek Boulton

Derek Boulton Rookie

Mar 12, 2020
    Greeley, Colorado USA
    Full Name:
    Derek Boulton
    Mike, I have that door panel tool, and never thought to use it. I just put a nut onto the injectors and levered them out. A couple of the bushings (as you know are not threaded) came out with the injectors so I decided to change the O rings on them too. The bushings are in fine shape, as is the car. My 328 only has 19K miles but has stood a while. While changing the cam timing belts I decided to change any and all rubber hoses on the entire vehicle and, as happens to all of us, it spread to a fairly major service including new injectors. Yesterday I made a simple tool (a piece of stout 1/8 dia rod bend at 90 degrees on one end) to get down and underneath the bushing so I can pull the bushings out. I'll post the results later this weekend. Hopefully no damage.

20. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The door panel tool works pretty good on an Audi or VW sohc engines (think Rabbit) because there is a valve cover to use as a leverage point. For a 308i/328 you will probably have to supply your own leverage point, block of wood etc. There is another VW puller tool that is widely available that also hooks under the nut and has 2 slots for a screwdriver straight blade to fit into. It also relies on the valve cover to be used as a fulcrum point. It may be more applicable to a Ferrari engine.

21. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Hmmmmm

I should drop a cad file into the printers and see what it would cost to have these printed in glass filled nylon or carbon nylon. Currently use carbon nylon for the EFI conversion bushings, those are for holding the new injectors... So for CIS it's not a problem.

Really had no idea these things have gone nla.

22. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    OK, had to clear a couple things off the ol to do list. Grabbed a bushing and threw it into CAD.
    As it is OEM style, which is a fairly hefty part as little parts go, they can be 3D printed out of PA12 40% glass filled for what looks to be ~$15/ea. Might be able to shave a dollar or so off the cost if I thin out the model and reduce the material use. gets tricky in some parts. I'd normally ask the machine shop to run a bunch but given the unknown qty to run and relative low part count... just easier to mfg on demand via the printer.

Thought I'd pass that along. Currently use the 3D print method for the EFI conversion bits on the QV's. material is good to 350*F at 60psi so no issues in this application.

RodC328gts likes this.
  23. mwr4440

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    #48 mwr4440, May 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 30, 2021
    Scott,

An old FChatter in the Netherlands who has since 'Disappeared,' (Geert Jan) made and sold a good number of them. His target audience was the 400i/412 Crowd as that was what he owned.

He and I worked briefly together on a project creating kits for rebuilding Fuel Distributors but I quit when a 'Big Boy' noticed the vacant niche and FLOODED IT.

REBULDING Bosch FDs is now cheaper and simpler than playing with a set of Legos.* Kits abound on Ebay.

What a 'Good Number' is IDK, but many were buying his product and replacing all 8 or all 12. If one broke, they were ALL 'suspect.' That was probably the logic.

* - Rebuilding the old Bosch FDs is ridiculously EASY. One can do it for about 1/10th to 1/20th of what some Ebay Rebuilders are asking. But one MUST BE Exceptionally CAREFUL.

BALANCING EACH PORT to the Individual Injectors to ENSURE NEAR 100% Even Fluel-Flow ... THAT IS the VERY P A I N F U L Part.

I send my rebuilds out for that. Happy to pay it. Do NOT have the substantial equipment required and to do it safely, nor that amount of patience.

24. schelle_pelle

schelle_pelle Karting

Oct 22, 2021
    Berlin, Germany
    Hi,

is there any current source for 113309 that does not demand top dollar for that plastic piece?

Best regards from Germany

25. RodC328gts

RodC328gts Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2021
    Mexico
    Full Name:
    Rod C
    contact @smg2 he is 3d printing them