What happens to Ferraris after 30k in miliage ? | FerrariChat

What happens to Ferraris after 30k in miliage ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Obxairman, May 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Obxairman

Obxairman Rookie

Jun 11, 2015
    Aguadilla Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Sean Gibbs
    So my local Ferrari dealer by Dulles airport has got a Ferrari 360 convertible with 40,000 miles on it they're asking 80 grand. From what I've been reading anything North of 20,000 miles is considered to be high mileage and high risk. My guess is you don't buy one of these cars if you can't afford the repairs. But how awful could it be. So I'm guessing this is what dramatically affects the resale if I were to buy a car with this amount of miles does it mean I'm stuck with it forever?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Have you read any of the mileage threads here ? Clearly not otherwise you would not repeat the myth - if you want to believe it fine but just go buy another Lexus

Nembo1777, ralfabco, BOKE and 3 others like this.
  3. Obxairman

Obxairman Rookie

Jun 11, 2015
    Aguadilla Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Sean Gibbs
    I need to learn how to search for them I am new here

technom3 likes this.
  4. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  5. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Easy there Jimmie. 40K miles in a well maintained car is not a problem at all. That is where you need to do your research. Most cars that have been well maintained have all the records to support such a claim. Look at cars from all over and start to learn more about the specific model you are looking for. If it is a really low price, there is a reason. I don't know the 360 market at all so can't help you there. Try posting in the 360 forum and you will get plenty of better advice.

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  7. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    It’s not that the cars fall apart after 30k miles. It’s that the competition from lower mile cars hurts you on resale, because most Ferrari owners keep the miles very low compared to other makes.

Ira Schwartz and Rifledriver like this.
  8. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Mine turned into a newt.

Bill Phillips, WJHMH, ScottS and 6 others like this.
  9. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Yep - it's gettin' 'em wet that destroys 'em. Melts 'em right away.

ScottS, Performify, Lusso123 and 6 others like this.
  10. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Well, yup, at 20,000 miles beware! These cars are pretty hard on tires and by then the tires are in dire need of replacement.

... otherwise, the rest of the car is fine. :D

Performify and 350MH83 like this.
  11. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    My 89 328 GTS has 103 K miles, and runs better than most 3x8s with 20 k miles,( present co excluded) not driving these cars is the worse you can do to them . Ferrari has had some glitches in some of their runs, like the insane " button and switches coming unglued " The 355 had some awful manifold and valve stem issues, I believe most out there have been sorted , as far as engine problems, most Ferraris , when taken care of are bullet proof. There is no doubt about it, Ferraris are very expensive to maintain and repair. Buy the car which suits your budget , including maintenance . I can say , that Ferraris build quality has gone down after the 348 / Testarossa were produced . I would like to someday own a 488 GTB, if that happens, I shall see if it matches up to the quality of the 328 , which is I believe the best mass produced car Ferrari has ever made.

Thank you

tomc likes this.
  12. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter

Attached Files:

WJHMH, bernardo66, 3POINT8 and 4 others like this.
  13. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #13 tomc, May 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 30, 2021
    I find Google to be more productive than the built in search function.

site:ferrarichat.com ???????

where ?????? is your string of interest.

FWIW, my Cali is closing in on 29K miles and, anecdotally, it seems to behave better the less it sits and the more I drive it.

If the F-car of interest has been well maintained and documented, I'd not let mileage scare me. I think I'd be more cautious on a low mileage example. You pay a premium for very low miles, get dinged on resale if you drive it as Enzo intended, and who knows what mechanicals have perished from non-use.

T

14. dgoldenz94

dgoldenz94 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 13, 2020
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    David Gold
    I think they’re supposed to spontaneously combust at 30,001 miles

Performify, ross and paulchua like this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    they blow up.
    :)

Exoticcarpartsus and technom3 like this.
  16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You rapscallions, behave!!
    T

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    The man! The myth! The legend!
    T

18. Jb-Slow

Jb-Slow Karting

May 11, 2020
    ralfabco and technom3 like this.
  19. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have 47k miles on my 430. I just replaced rear tie-rods and new brake pads. Replaced the manual clutch at 43k miles Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

20. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Ignore the sarcasm and the snark. The important thing is the condition of the car.

The fact is that many late-model Ferraris--including 360s-- are available with much lower mileage. Use that fact to grind the seller down to an exceptionally low price for a car that he is finding hard to sell. And when you have had your fun and are ready to move on,expect to get an exceptionally low price.

tomc and pilotoCS like this.
  21. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Drove mine to target with 67,000 yesterday and came out.. it just done melted...

The bigger question is why does this concern you? Are you worried about costs? About repairs driving you to bankruptcy?
    I bought mine 10 years ago (3-pedal stick) and still absolutely love her. I don't worry about driving the car because high miles and if something breaks, I can afford to fix it. Myself or pop out the checkbook. I *could* afford to maintain a new one.. and as such I can afford to buy a used one. My dad has an Aston Martin and like his exotic, Ferrari cars depreciate in price.. but the price of new parts doesn't.

I'm going to throw this out there that if you can't write a $10,000 check right now for a repair without breaking a sweat or stopping to sip your coffee.. you can't afford it. You likely won't need to.. but you should be able and ready. Repairs are going to be costly, less if you are able to do them yourself.

As far as mileage... is it depreciation on resale? You WILL loose money. Bet on it. The question is how much. Will you have to sell it in the future? If you will have to sell it to fund retirement.. don't buy it in the first place. If it's a bucket list item so you can say "I OWN A FERRARI".. consider why this is so important (hint: its not). If it's a symbol to yourself that you've made it in life... would you be worried about something breaking on a car you own if you REALLY made it?

If you are buying it to drive... buy it, drive it, enjoy it and don't worry if something breaks if you rack up 20,000 miles in a year. Things will break more easily if you beat on it or abuse it (don't test the rev limiter so often), less things break if you just drive the car and enjoy it. IF you REALLY want the car you're not going to care if you're stuck with it forever. I WANT to have mine forever.

tazz99, kes7u and tomc like this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I've seen cars with less than 5,000 have problems and cars with over 200,000 going strong. (see Kevin Enderby) - Like people, each vehicle is an individual situation with a unique history, context, and circumstance. If this car is up to date with all maintenance, has a complete documentation of timely service, no accidents/evidence of issues, passes inspection with a reputable/knowledgeable 3rd party - I would be okay with it.

Remember, though, the key to a successful Ferrari experience is realizing that buying the car is just 1/2 the commitment; you must be ready to maintain the vehicle.

tazz99 likes this.
  23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Buy condition....not mileage.

By condition I do not mean shiny paint.

Someone else said a truly well maintained car will usually have a very good set of records. Thats pretty true.

paulchua and BOKE like this.
  24. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    One of my all time favourite quotes about Ferrari's and their mileage:

“Not putting miles on your Ferrari, is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend.”

25. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    If you cannot afford the maintenance buy an unmolested garage queen and when fatigue sets in go ahead and sell the unmolested garage queen with the same mileage.

Problem solved and you will never need to have a cup of espresso with a mechanic.