355 - Flashing SDL after I replaced ECUs | FerrariChat

355 Flashing SDL after I replaced ECUs

Discussion in '348/355' started by MrJames, Jun 6, 2021.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    Hey all, when I bought my car (a 97 manual, so 5.2, right?), nearly a year ago, it had a flashing slow down light immediately upon start. I read that this was generally caused by bad exhaust ECUs. So I replaced both of mine with these smaller ones I got from New Zealand (I forgot the name of the company, but both old and new are in the pic). Sadly, the light still flashes immediately upon start. Is my next move to replace the cat thermocouples? Thanks for the advice!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Kokose7en likes this.
  2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Yes. Technistrada (your aftermarket exhaust ECU manufacturer) also offer budget thermocouples if you don't want to buy an OEM thermocouple. I haven't heard of any problems with the Technistrada ECUs (I have one fitted to my 5.2 car for test purposes).
    Do you have an OBD2 reader? It should be able to tell you which thermocouple is causing problems.

MrJames likes this.
  3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    For reference, the OEM P/N is 157501, if you want to order through Ricambi or other local sources.

MrJames likes this.
  4. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    Ah, nice. I hadn't realized it would get specific. Last time I tried to use it, I was not at all successful. I hacked up something to add the missing ground, and I don't think I've tried it since. Will give it a look. Thanks for the advice!

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Make sure pins 4 and 5 on the OBD2 port are shorted together and then shorted to earth. Also, don't forget to disarm the immobiliser otherwise the port won't be able to talk to the Motronics ECU.

Good luck!

MrJames likes this.
  6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You want to clear the OBD2 error codes after you have replaced the TCU.

MrJames likes this.
  7. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    #7 Mike Morrissey, Jun 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    You mention that you replaced both ECU’s, (CCU’s) there are three.

8. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    And also, for the 2 on the air pump tray, make sure the connectors are all correctly aligned/connected to their proper ECU.

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  9. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    I'm confused; I thought these were to convert an analog signal from the thermocouples in each catalytic converter (of which there are two, right?) to a digital signal for the computer. What's the third one for? And is it also to be found on that plate near the RR corner of the car? Thanks!

10. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    The 3rd is for the bypass. 2 are on the right rear behind the tire. 1 is on the left side top.

MrJames and Mike Morrissey like this.
  11. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Of the 2 ECUs on the air pump tray - one is to the TC in the bypass valve, the other for the TC in the passenger (or right side) cat. The 3rd ECU is on the left side and is for the left cat.

MrJames likes this.
  12. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Replace the thermocouples. They can become intermittent and trigger SDL.

As mentioned above be sure to get TC/SDECU outputs to correct ECU harness connector for bypass and right Cat.

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Does the bypass thermocouple ever trigger the SDL on a 5.2 car? Or just the CEL? Or are you you just saying this because it’s possible to change the wrong ECU?

14. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    The Exhaust "Control Station" only amplifies the voltage from the Thermocouple 100 times and sends the amplified signal (analogue) to the ECU. The SDL will normally be triggered if the exhaust temp is too high (ECU receives high voltage signal from the Control Station). However, the SDL will also be triggered if the Thermocouple circuit goes open (if disconnected or due to bad connection or bad Thermocouple) as the Control Station will also send a high voltage signal to the ECU in these cases, as if the exhaust temp is too high.

As suggested, you need to first make sure that the connections to the Control Stations for the bypass valve and for the right side cat are not the wrong way around.

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Witch two did you replace?

INRange likes this.
  16. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    Thinking that the left CCU wasn’t changed. JohnK phrased it better, which two were replaced?

Qavion likes this.
  17. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    I replaced the one on the left side, and then the one on the left side of the plate that's on the right side near the bumper. Haven't had a chance to go back out, but my read on this is that there is a second one on that plate?

18. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    Wow, I don't know if I ever would've figured this one out on my own! Thanks!

Qavion likes this.
  19. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    So, for next steps, I definitely didn't swap the output cables for the right cat and bypass valve ECUs, because I didn't even know the bypass valve had one. It looks like I need to get a third ECU. Ricambi America sells the thermocouples in pairs - I guess the bypass valve one doesn't tend to go bad?

DTCs - P1445, P1448, P1449, P0134 (this is an oxygen sensor, "bank 1, sensor 1" - does that mean the front one?)

20. Zamboniman308

Zamboniman308 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2020
    Chicago IL
    The ECU's you can swap around to see to see if the code follows it as a troubleshooting step. Does your car have CATs or test pipes?

Mike Morrissey likes this.
  21. Mike Morrissey

Mike Morrissey Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2018
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike Morrissey
    #21 Mike Morrissey, Jun 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Yes MrJames, there are two ECU (CCU) modules on the plate (Air Injection Devices plate). One module is for the right cat. one is for the secondary (bypass) cats. You can trace the thermocouple leads to easily identify the two. The Technistrada website has good technical information along with parts: https://technistrada.com (main page)
    (technical blog)
    https://technistrada.com/index.php?rt=content/content&content_id=5

Photo of secondary cats and thermocouple lead. Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    How do I know if the code "follows" it? I haven't been able to get believable answers on what those P144X codes mean. AFAIK, I have cats in the car. The exhaust is really smelly, but that could be the oxygen sensor, or typical, since this is my first Ferrari and I have put precisely one mile on it.

23. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    That's awesome! Thanks for the link!

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    1445 and 1448 are related and they point to the Bypass Circuit (in the middle) malfunction. The likely culprit, and you hope this is it, is the vacuum line controlling the bypass valve is broken or the little aluminum tube feeding that valve is broken. Also a candidate is the vacuum lines running around behind the right side wheel well area, as well as the vacuum switch controlling the vacuum line to the bypass valve.

25. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I have a video in my posts of a real time voltage output reading from the Bypass SDECU showing it spiking and causing the CEL. The problem was the thermocouple to the bypass location. Replace it and the sdecu if you want.

MrJames likes this.