430 - Exhaust vibration/rattle | FerrariChat

430 Exhaust vibration/rattle

Discussion in '360/430' started by DrivnXcitment, May 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Brain trust,
    My 05 spider has developed a bit of a rattle on the drivers side exhaust. It sounds tinny and I can eliminate the rattle by pressing down slightly on the exhaust tips, cat back area, etc. what can cause this and what are the remedies? I have aftermarket headers (not sure of the brand as they are wrapped and were there when I bought her), but stock cat back. I can’t see well enough in the engine bay to see the exhaust brackets or I’m not looking in the correct place. Thanks!

2. milanojess

milanojess Karting

Nov 26, 2007
    sf bay area
    There are a few exhaust mounts that were prone to crack ( at least on the coupe, not certain if they use same attach ) mine for example had a cracked mount arm near the rear bumper

DrivnXcitment likes this.
  3. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    As above most likely a cracked/broken lower rear exhaust bracket. Best solution is simply remove them, your headers will love you for it. Most folk simply weld em up good and strong which your headers will hate you for.

4. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    I’m guessing you have to go in through the bottom to access those? Removing the diffuser?

5. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Could also be the exhaust valves rattling…

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Drop the diffuser and you can then see the mountings, probably one connected to the back of the gear box. Note diffuser allen screws are mixed lengths.

7. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
  8. canivan74

canivan74 Rookie

Jun 27, 2020
    Zurich, Switzerland
    could also be the outer skin of the tips.
    i solved it with 4 welding points. not very sexy but efficient. and i knew that i would go for a kline exhaust this spring, what already happened last week. :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
  10. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan

WOW! I'll definitely take a look at those when I get home. Thanks for sharing that. As far as the tips are concerned, at least that part I am 100% positive it is not that. I'll be crawling underneath and taking the diffuser off next week when I have some time.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You may also have aftermarket Capristo brackets installed, if they car is new to you and unknown changes. They can sometimes require some adjustment to eliminate buzzes or rattles.

12. Spleen

Spleen Karting

Mar 2, 2021
    UK, West Berkshire
    Full Name:
    Spleen
    How do fix those, replacements? Mine are horrendous!

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    A trick is to attach a tension spring to the spindle to stop its rattle

14. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    does anyone notice where the rear exhaust and after cats meet (one slides over the other and clamps) you can see marks on it where it expands and contracts??

15. Spleen

Spleen Karting

Mar 2, 2021
    UK, West Berkshire
    Full Name:
    Spleen
    Thanks, I saw that previously but couldn’t get the bloody spring on! Anyway, car has gone over to GTO Engineering (UK) for them to have a look at as it’s got another niggle as well.

16. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    That should be coated in exhaust paste and not move at all

17. futureferraribuyer

futureferraribuyer Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2010
    My 2005 had the same problem due to the exhaust tip rattling inside the surrounding metal. Spot welding fixed the problem.

18. DrivnXcitment

DrivnXcitment Karting

Apr 29, 2006
    St. Augustine, FL
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    Well I found the rattle. Took the diffuser off and staring me in the face was a broken exhaust bracket. Bracket is currently removed and awaiting my friend to weld it for me. Easy peasy. Thanks all!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    You can also just eliminate that bracket. Welding it will put the stress back into your manifolds.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

jag-oo-r, RedTaxi and Marcoboxer like this.
  20. jag-oo-r

jag-oo-r Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    I hear this, but I don't understand it. Can you help us understand better? I don't see anything else supporting the exhaust is that's eliminated. So everything would literally be hanging on the exhaust manifolds.
    What am i missing?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

21. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    There is an upper long "bow spring" that supports the weight of the muffler and rear pipes which allows the system to grow with heat and retract. The brackets stop this causing them and the headers to crack. The exhaust does not move or sag when you remove the lower brackets. The 360 does not have these brackets and has a much bigger heavier muffler.

Marcoboxer and jag-oo-r like this.