Hamilton deserves more respect | Page 33 | FerrariChat

Hamilton deserves more respect

Discussion in 'F1' started by Natkingcolebasket69, Mar 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Yes so not that many guys are still relevant that late in their careers and it would appear that nowadays you got be in better shape than before to drive those things so that’s pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bas likes this.
  2. Natkingcolebasket69

I think Mercedes can still win it but I’m seeing the disgruntled bottas situation as a potential cancer eating the team from within if they don’t solve it.

3. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mercedes still has a great car. It didn't work so well on street tracks but clearly that engine/car is more than a match for anyone on the straights. Baku S1/2 is composed almost entirely of low speed 90 degree turns and the red bull had great traction, that's where it won it's time. When we go back to more conventional tracks I'd be highly surprised to see Red Bull would be a clearly quicker car (something that wasn't even that true for Baku). Neither Merc nor RBR is the clear ''better'' car so far, on single lap pace they're pretty even (with Max anyways). Race pace the Mercedes is much easier on it's tyres.

Will be interesting to see how it develops further with the budget cap, actual pressures and whatnot.

4. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Mercedes too easy on tires now??? Did they go too far in that mode?

5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #805 william, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    I think the whole Mercedes team is losing touch this year, not only Bottas, although he will probably be the scapegoat.
    They have lost the cohesion they had in previous year, and I can see many signs of that.

- With Niki Lauda gone, MB has lost a calming influence.
    - The new MB CEO is not a F1 fan like his predecessor and has reduced the company's share in the team.
    - At the end of last year, Toto indicated that he hesitated about continuing with the team.
    - Hamilton couldn't make up his mind until the begining of this year before signing a new contract.
    - Several technical staff have left MB within a short time to join the opposition, RB.
    - The new tech rules have disturbed the aero, and the car is unstable this year. Both drivers are struggling with it.
    - Bottas is not fulfilling his role as expected, and looks adrift this season.
    - Contrary to MB usual efficiency, there have been strategy errors and bad calls this year.
    - The budget cap affects Mercedes more than they will admit. It has reduced their margin of manoeuvre considerably.

The cumulation of all these factors makes me believe that they are losing their domination

6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Fangio?

7. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Yeah Fangio was about 78 was'nt he?

Senna1994 likes this.
  8. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    He was 78 when he started:p

Bas and Senna1994 like this.
  9. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    LOL

10. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Mercedes struggles with heating the tyres (hence they had DAS in addition to ''brake magic'') compared to Red Bull. Once it's all up to temperature they are indeed good.

ingegnere, ricksb and Senna1994 like this.
  11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    in the age of cost cutting, look at all the expensive technology deployed to get tires in optimal working range. these systems will never be installed on a street car. let the teams choose from six tire choices and find what works best with their chassis.
    also, teams still have to run two different compounds during the race.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I agree with letting them run any from the crrent 6 compounds at the very least. But right from there I would allow them to run whatever tyre they want for as long as they want, no need to use 2 compounds. A team could do a no stop for all I care on a hard or do a 4 stopper on ultrasoft, whatever they believe works best for them.

jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

I do miss having several manufacturers as well as refueling

Bas likes this.
  14. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    yes fully agree. I really miss the refueling. It got a bad rap for being against on track overtakes. Whilst strategic pitlane overtakes did happen, it also provided great racing IMO. A lighter car was often constantly nipping at the heels of a heavier fueled car, sometimes the lighter car actually being as good a car either. It brought close racing.

15. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Works good on paper and less will on the tire truck.

You see, F1 tires have a shelf like of several weeks, so the tire manufacture can't just load up the truck with all the tires any team could want, the hardest tires on a track that likes soft tires would sit unused and have to be shredded before the next race, dramatically increasing costs to the tire manufacture.

16. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew

Agreed. I liked the tactical aspect of teams trying to judge how much fuel to carry through Q3 into the race. Do you want pole or do you want to go longer in your first stint? Or do you have such a pace advantage that you can get pole with more fuel than the competition and, if so, how much fuel can you add without losing pole? It was an interesting dynamic.

All the best,
    Andrew.

Bas, ricksb and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I hated it because that had nothing to do with driving skills.

Races were determined by boffins on computers crunching numbers to determine what was the best fuel strategy.

18. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    The driver still had to do the perfect lap, or it'd throw out the boffin's number crunching and they'd lose pole.

All the best,
    Andrew.

DF1 likes this.
  19. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Accurate....

Bas likes this.
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    For me, there is nothing better than the old format (60s and 70s).

One set of tyres and one tankful for the whole race.

No strategy dicted to the driver from the pit; he had to find his pace.

21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

The driver raced. Now they pace, preserve and save. We have had 2 laps of racing this season. The last 2 laps of Baku.

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Order them in advance. Right now teams tell pirelli which tyre allocation they want several weeks before the GP in question. They can do exactly the same now just with more compounds. Still take the same amount of tyres to the track.

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Says more about what's wrong with the current system rather than inventing gimmicks to try and keep interest. Engine saving. Tyre saving. Hybrid management. Fuel management. And so on.

stavura, jgonzalesm6, DF1 and 2 others like this.
  24. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

+1
    Racing at it's purest form.

I would go further and just have pit boards. No radio advice. Allow the drivers to think for themselves and improvise.

Bas, jgonzalesm6 and DF1 like this.
  25. Natkingcolebasket69

Going back on the Hamilton topic , this edited, albeit true extractor his does give valid points and perspective on what his detractors do not like about him;)

Bas likes this.