Vacuum pump noise | FerrariChat

Vacuum pump noise

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Martin BB, Jun 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Martin BB

Martin BB Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Martin Houwing
    On my 400 Ferrari installed a vacuum pump to support the brake booster. I noticed that this pump has become more noisy than before. Does anyone has experience with this problem? Is it possible to have such a pump repaired?
    If I recall it correctly Ferrari also made a modification for the connection bolts between the pump and camshaft. Anyone familiair with this?

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I would first check that the pump is properly lubricated. There is a dedicated oil line that gets out of the oil filters base and gets back to the brake booster. This is all the more important as the oil is then re-routed on the timing chain and also protects this long chain.

3. Martin BB

Martin BB Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Martin Houwing
    There is a little dedicated oil line that gets out of the oil filters base. Can this be blocked suddenly? It looks like a open line from oil filter base to vacuum pump. With I mean there is no checkvalve etc. installed, at least I don't see this.

If the lubrication is fine, can such a pump be repaired? What is the make of the pump?

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    No definitive answer as I never dismantled mine. If you look at the part diagram, the system appears to be "serviceable" with clearly identified rubber rings and gaskets.

If it is worth the sum of all its part on eurospares (https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/400-gt-mechanical/brakes-wheels/brake-booster-vacuum-pump-32074), then it is affordable by Ferrari standards... Maybe you could drop them an email and ask for the price of a complete unit which would be probably cheaper than buying all the parts individually?

5. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    In the vacuum pump there is a drive shaft that fits in the cam shaft. To reduce noise this shaft has two rubber inserts that wear out and can cause noise. They are easy to change with some caution. I would recommend changing the o-ring at the same time.

6. Martin BB

Martin BB Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Martin Houwing
    Thanks, this is very usefull information. These rubber parts, can I fabricate my self?

7. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Hi Martin,

See the drawing for parts. They are available and not very expensive. You can probably make the rubber dampers yourselves and maybe the o-ring is available in a well sorted machine shop. I may have a few spare rubber dampers (18) and I can measure them and post here.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Martin BB

Martin BB Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Martin Houwing
    These rubber inserts, are these inside the pump or in the connecting bolts from the pump to the camshaft? The parts drawing doesn't show any rubber components in the connecting/drive shart from pump to camshaft.

9. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Hi Martin,

They are in the drawing and do carry part numbers, please see above.

There is a flat drive shaft that goes into the pump and the cam shaft and there are two holes in the flat surface where the rubber dampers fit. The drive shaft is loose and just inserted into the pump and cam shaft

Just unscrew the vacuum pump and be careful that the shaft either comes out with the pump or stays with the cam shaft as it is open below and it can fall.

I did it a few years ago without any problems.

10. Martin BB

Martin BB Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Martin Houwing
  11. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
  12. Martin BB

Martin BB Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Martin Houwing
  13. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Not sure why there are two alternatives for drive shaft. Maybe the one you looked at is for older cars. I look from the ling that it is for the 365. Mine is a 400i 1980.

In mine there was a nice flat chromed drive shaft with a hole in and a drive stub in the pump with a hole in it. Can't find any pictures of the change, sorry.

The part are a small round rubber insert, maybe 4 mm across and 4 mm high. I can go down to the garage later today and measure.

14. Martin BB

Martin BB Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    Martin Houwing
    Yes please.
    I found the source of my rattling noise, all mounting bolts of the airco clutch were a little loose, tighthening the bolts and the noise was gone. I coincidently noticed the noise disappeared when the aircocompressor kicked-in.

15. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Good that you found it!

For the record the rubber dampers are 6mm in diameter and 7mm long. Made of pretty sturdy rubber (not soft)

The o-ring between the pump and the block is 3,5mm thick and and 62mm in outer diameter.