Wanted - Canon 80D and / or Canon 70-200mm 2.8 lens | FerrariChat

Wanted Canon 80D and / or Canon 70-200mm 2.8 lens

Discussion in 'Other Parts & Collectibles' started by GTHill, Jun 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    My son is starting a videography business and he could use a second camera for some of the work he's getting. He already has an 80D so matching that would be great.

I'll upgrade him to 4k when he gets going some more but for now this will be great for him. Thanks!

GT

2. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
  3. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
  4. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    If your son is going for a "film" look with shallow DoF, the 80d is a poor choice because it has a 22.5 x 15 mm chip. That gives you a crop factor of 1.62.

Here is a good app to play with. https://www.photopills.com/calculators/dof

5. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I understand that there's a crop factor and you can for sure get the film look even with that limitation. We will eventually move to a 4k (likely Sony as they lead in mirrorless right now) but for now I can't justify $10k per setup.

He can make great videos with this for now - he just needs a second camera for multi-cam shoots.

6. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    You don't have to tie yourself to DSLR bodies anymore.

There are all kinds of under $10K ways to get what your son is going after. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera You can get all of this gear from various places as demos, etc., for better deals.

Use the app and see what happens to focal length and DoF when you go to larger chip sizes. The smaller the chip, the "effective" focal length of the lenses will become longer. Do the same and see what happens with the DoF at f2.8 and f4.0.

This has nothing to do with the resolution of the recorded video image. Just math as it pertains to optics.

7. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Marc,

I promise you that I'm fairly well versed in this. And no matter how you cut it, going with anything "good" is $10k, mostly in glass. Black Magic is a no go - they don't have native auto focus. Amazing cameras but they are more designed for full on cinematography.

The go to setup for most people in this range is the Sony FX3.

When my son shows the aptitude and business justification for higher end gear we'll go that route.

8. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Relax, GT. You missed my point entirely, as usual.:D:D:D If the 80d is what trips your trigger, stick with it until an upgrade is required.

I have been renting out pro video gear to productions for 30 years. Follow me on the optic side, that lens is really long with the crop factor, and the DoF change between a slighter slower lens and the f 2.8 lens is negligible at working distances. Buying good glass is always a good investment. Most of the big camera places on both coasts have plenty of the common Canon L series lenses available, used, or refurbished. Is your son looking for a lens that will stay in focus throughout the zoom range??? What other lenses does your son have right now with the 80d???

You are correct that the Black Magic cameras are geared towards capturing moving images. However, they include handy production things like time-code generators and simple stuff like built-in neutral density filters. They also come with a full-featured copy of DaVinci Resolve. Here's a link to download the base version for free. It is worth looking at as a more professional post-production solution with the Canon 80d.

Regarding AF as a requirement. One of the first things people add to a DSLR or Mirrorless rig is manual follow focus. So get ready for the next chapter in your son's filmmaking endeavor.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I have a Canon C100: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086125-REG/canon_eos_c100_cinema_eos.html

I did buy this used but it is in great shape.

and this lens: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1246187-REG/canon_1714c002_cn_e_18_80mm_t4_4_compact_servo.html

I purchased this new from B&H. The lens has only been used twice - both times in a studio.

I use neither, as I went with matching C200 and 35mm primes.

It is NOT 4k, but it is is a heck of a combination.

I'll let both go for $5k.

BOKE likes this.
  10. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    That's a really nice run and gun ENG lens. The next step up is $24K. Great deal on the package.

11. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Mark,

Thank you for the offer as that does seem to be a good deal, far better than the gear he's running now. Right now spending $5k on it probably isn't something I can do. I'll be ok with spending more $$ on a setup for him later but for now he'll have to stick to being a poor film kid. :)

Of course there are many other things that he'll be needing or can use. Lots of $$ for this stuff. :)

12. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I understand.

Having gone through this two years ago, I wasted tens of thousands buying the improper equipment. From the cameras, lens, lighting and audio, I found there was no cheap way to do it right - despite what you may see on YouTube.

I have several 70-200 2.8's, but my nephew beat you to the third one (I keep two of about everything.)

Marc is correct about the crop sensor, it will cause you issues with the better lenses.

That said, I think I still have an 80d, let me open some camera bags...

GTHill likes this.
  13. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    No problem.

I got that lens for the track and it was great. Haven’t used it in years because I need a new setup.

For the time being I’m using a Canon M50 with a Viltrox speed booster. It’s just for YouTube so I don’t shoot 4K. I’m looking to get something else but I’m stuck with canon as I have so much of their glass.

Lol, it’s so easy to go down the rabbit hole with cameras.

14. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Moving platforms is what we are likely going to end up doing. Sony owns the mirrorless space at this level of quality. Depending on what models are out when we make the jump we are looking at the Sony FX3. Canon may have a competitor out by then so we'll see!

15. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Contact moderator Robb. He’s the camera guy/photographer on here.

16. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    The Sony FX3 ain't all that. Wait for the next one, or the one after that. wolfcrow is a great info site.

Important Quirks and Features of the Sony FX3 for Cinematography

17. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
  18. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    This was shot on the Sony A7SIII which is basically the FX3 with a few small features missing.

If this isn't good enough for my son then I'll get him a Red or ARRI.

19. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I happen to be in a position to give away all kinds of gear right now. I sent two pelican cases of Canon gear to kids of members here so far.

Marcoboxer, 19633500GT and JJ like this.
  20. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    The biggest problem with the Sony A7SIII is overheating. The FX3 is an A7SIII with a fan in it. The inputs on the FX3 are hard to access. If that's the ticket for you, go for it. I rent out Red and ARRI Alexa camera packages, and I never brought up anything about either ecosystem. You couldn't afford the batteries for either, let alone a full rig.

Good luck to your son.

21. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Where do I sign up? :)

I’ve been putting together a studio to do car design tutorials, live sketch and other art/fabrication tutorials. Partly to give me another creative outlet but mostly just to help out younger aspiring designers. I’m at the age it’s time to start giving more back. All for the low price of free!

22. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I have an M50 as well. Have the adapter so the L glass would work.

It’s in another camera bag. Kinda odd holding a small camera with a 200mm lens

It did do video pretty well, but wasn’t the right camera for what I was shooting, as I do multi-cam and color grading wasn’t fun with two different cameras.

BOKE likes this.
  23. Innovativethinker

Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Found the 80d, I’ll look for the spare lenses.

JJ, BOKE and GTHill like this.
  24. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I came here looking for an 80D. You said that was a crop sensor and terrible for what he was doing.
    I said that we'd eventually upgrade to an FX3 / A7SIII and you respond with what's wrong with it.

You have not offered any alternatives.

Ever one of your statements have been contrarian and haven't offered any value.

Thank you for your time and your donations to other FChat members.

25. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Thanks! As you know, color grading between different cameras is a huge PITA which is a big motivator for us to stay on the 80D. I very much appreciate your effort looking through your gear.

Once Sam gains skills and customers I'll be happy to get him into whatever 4k gear is the right way to go at that time.

GT